Heresy III - NAD 3020

Avbryt

Hi,  I recently purchased a pair of Heresy IIIs and I need some advice on amp/pre or integrated selection. 

At first paired with Nad 3020.

Great sound!! But at high volume the amp was not doing the job. 

Tried HK 3490 as a preamp with the 3020, didnt help. Now Nad 3020 with Nad 2100 poweramp, and it sounds really bad.

Any advice or other equipment suggestions is appreciated!

I have two NAD 3020 and a NAD 2100 poweramp at home.

Cheers!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, willland said:

@Avbryt,

Welcome to the forum.

How much $$$ are you planning on spending?

New, refurbished, or used?

Where are you located?

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill,

I think used as it's cheaper and as you can tell I don't put much money in it so far. I guess about 300 $ or 500 $ if that would be a game changer!

I changed the volume on the 2100 from full to about 9.00 and more volume on the 3020 and I think it sounded much better. 

I live close to Stockholm in Sweden.

/Pierre 

If you have been generally happy with NAD, then maybe look for a used C356BEE.  Or maybe even consider a Cambridge Audio 651A.  I have been driving my Heresy 1s and Heresy 2s with NAD and Cambridge Audio for several years now and have not come up with any reason to change.

Bill

NAD 3020 is a great amp. BUT, it is only 20w/ch although it does have pretty good headroom.

Do you know what version you have? There were some changes made to the 3020 along the way (not all of them positive)

"IF" you could expand your budget a bit, I really think you should consider auditioning NAD C390DD. You can pick these up for a song (compared to the original cost). I used one for about 6 years, now using NAD M32. They replaced my Luxman triodes, Wright 2A3 triodes & McIntosh solid state. I've never looked back and don't regret it one bit.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:29 AM, Avbryt said:

Hi,  I recently purchased a pair of Heresy IIIs and I need some advice on amp/pre or integrated selection. 

At first paired with Nad 3020.

Great sound!! But at high volume the amp was not doing the job. 

Tried HK 3490 as a preamp with the 3020, didnt help. Now Nad 3020 with Nad 2100 poweramp, and it sounds really bad.

Any advice or other equipment suggestions is appreciated!

I have two NAD 3020 and a NAD 2100 poweramp at home.

Cheers!

I'm not sure I understand, you mentioned you tried the Nad 3020 with the Nad 2100, aren't they both power amps? Was the HK still used as a pre?

10 hours ago, artto said:

NAD 3020 is a great amp. BUT, it is only 20w/ch although it does have pretty good headroom.

Do you know what version you have? There were some changes made to the 3020 along the way (not all of them positive)

"IF" you could expand your budget a bit, I really think you should consider auditioning NAD C390DD. You can pick these up for a song (compared to the original cost). I used one for about 6 years, now using NAD M32. They replaced my Luxman triodes, Wright 2A3 triodes & McIntosh solid state. I've never looked back and don't regret it one bit.

Hi, it is the first version!

I will check the 390 out!

I wonder if there is a mode so I can use the power from both 3020s that I have...?  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:00 AM, Avbryt said:

Hi, it is the first version!

I will check the 390 out!

I wonder if there is a mode so I can use the power from both 3020s that I have...?  

There is - sort of. But probably not what you're looking to do.

"The innovative split of pre- and power-amplifier sections allows the use of the pre-amp stage to drive multiple power amplifiers in parallel, or use long signal cables to connect to remote power amplifiers or powered speakers.[14] This facility became hugely popular with audiophiles, who would seek to isolate this "remarkably fine-sounding preamp section", to use with one or more external power amplifiers" - Wikipedia