Model H - 700?? Industrials?

glp

I just got this pair of Model H speakers. The label has "700" located above the cross hatch of the "H"?

Through searching here I have been educated.... they are indeed Model h-700s?

Model number is hand written as H-D-12 Signed by P-illegible- Gilley and J.D. Powell

Serial numbers are 1E358 with what is an Eminence KP-22-E 12" woofer? 

The other cab is Serial number 1E368.... oddly it has an off white framed 12" woofer with a whizzer cone, but it has the KLIPSCH label, as do all the rest of the drivers??

Which are K55Vs and K77s. Type C crossover.

Both cabs have been oversprayed in flat black, no grilles, no aluminumn edging..... appear to be simply plywood cabs but could have

painted over remnants of a veneer?? But they are generally in pretty poor visual condition, chips, etc.

The cabs look nothing like anything I have seen here. The Front "baffleboard" is flush with the cabinet sides and top/bottom. The PK plastic logo is in the upper right corner. Access through removing the rear panel via 8 screws. Sides extend to cover the backpanel side edges, but the top and bottom do not? There are handles installed on the tops, but clearly aftermarket and not matching.

Its all very odd, cabinet wise??

I "thought" they were industrials...... perhaps not??

59F54DEB-0839-4448-A57E-00B539FE5E3D.jpeg

CF832325-C9ED-4203-BBE3-FB270CB91191.jpeg

65BDFE15-8428-496E-8961-A5858431F068.jpeg

Edited by glp
more information added
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, glp said:

I just got this pair of Model H speakers. The label has "700" located above the cross hatch of the "H"?

Through searching here I have been educated.... they are indeed Model h-700s?

Model number is hand written as H-D-12 Signed by P-illegible- Gilley and J.D. Powell

Serial numbers are 1E358 with what is an Eminence KP-22-E 12" woofer? 

The other cab is Serial number 1E368.... oddly it has an off white framed 12" woofer with a whizzer cone, but it has the KLIPSCH label, as do all the rest of the drivers??

Which are K55Vs and K77s. Type C crossover.

Both cabs have been oversprayed in flat black, no grilles, no aluminumn edging..... appear to be simply plywood cabs but could have

painted over remnants of a veneer?? But they are generally in pretty poor visual condition, chips, etc.

The cabs look nothing like anything I have seen here. The Front "baffleboard" is flush with the cabinet sides and top/bottom. The PK plastic logo is in the upper right corner. Access through removing the rear panel via 8 screws. Sides extend to cover the backpanel side edges, but the top and bottom do not? There are handles installed on the tops, but clearly aftermarket and not matching.

Its all very odd, cabinet wise??

I "thought" they were industrials...... perhaps not??

They are basically , the Heresy 1

I was under the impression that the 700H has a smaller (narrower see attached photo) mid horn while the Heresy has a K700 mid horn which is the same width but taller. The 700H is as you said aside from the mid horn basically a Heresy. If the OP has a mid horn which is taller than in the photo it will be a cast K700 mid horn as used in later Heresy. Thanks for the information re the K1000 Vs the K700, I should have caught that one. Still suffering some brain fog had a stroke in July.

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_10_2013/post-18888-13819828754304.jpg

• Like 1

The above pictured Heresy's have the original K-1000 mid horn.  When the K-700 was incorporated as an upgrade, the model took on the 700 nomenclature.  

As for the handles, they did not likely leave Klipsch with them, although we do have examples where PWK added a handle for his own use.  The Eminence woofer is likely a replacement.  The "white one" should be an EV unit, used prior to the Eminence.

HD - 12 stands for Heresy Decorator 12" woofer.  When first introduced, there was also an 8" woofer version.  I believe only 12 of the latter were made, making it the rarest of production models.  

The illegible signature is Portus Gilley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Model H700 *mostly* had SP-12B woofers like this with a Klipsch label.  My '67 and '68 H-700s had these woofers. 

1963_ElectroVoice_SP12B_speaker_-_panoramio.jpg.b070cb4fbaca08545844692f138bb6b1.jpg

Model Hs commonly had a steel framed Older SP-12B, painted brown. 

CIMG2459.jpg

Almost certainly, there was a time when the 2 (and another with an open frame AlNiCo magnet) were intermingled. 

• 4 months later...

Well.... I got the cabs sort of rehab’d by filling all the severe chipping around the top edges with an epoxy filler. I didn’t fill old staple marks and lower chips, hoping my truck bed liner over spray would fill or hide..... DIDNT!

I added the grille cloth so that difference in the woofers wasn’t so apparent! 

but they look much better and are FOR SALE! Want ‘67 H700’s in your shop?

glp@conwaycorp.net

547CE4DA-9DD8-4C77-BD73-177A5D86C086.jpeg

Edited by glp