Air purifiers

Bosco-d-gama

Good morning everyone. Earlier this year most who live in the west had to deal with hazardous levels of air pollution due to the many forest fires. ‘‘Twas then that the wife and I bought a Dyson brand air purifier/fan because even the indoor air was pretty awful. We don’t live in a huge home (by most standards). We have just over 1,700 square feet but it does have some volume with one great room (where the stereo resides). 

That began over a month ago and that Dyson is running 24/7. It is not their largest unit and I believe it cycles about 5.5 cubic feet per minute. It claimed to filter out particulates and noxious gases, etc with a hepa filter, blah, blah, blah....... Here to report that the silly thing really and truly has made a massive improvement in our lives. For starts there is an overtly lower level of dust.... everywhere. We live in ‘dust land’ and never have we enjoyed such a clean environment. That has resulted in far less congestion. Less congestion means no snoring, better sleep. Previously we had visible dust return after a matter of days on cleaned surfaces. Now it does not return at all (seriously). Granted, we do keep the house closed and it is a tight structure. But there’s no nasal drip, no sneezing and no more constant throat clearing. I had no idea how badly our untreated home impacted our general health. This has made a real difference in our lives. From here forward anywhere I live will include adequate air filtration. I am even gonna find some for the cars.

Not specifically endorsing Dyson as a product but it is working for us. The unit cost was around $500 which included a replacement filter (from Amazon). But there’s quite a selection and price range for similar devices and larger structures will require larger systems. For those of you with turntables and ye olde records a dust free environ would have to be quite an advantage. 

Just an FYI. 

• Like 5

That's one good way to do it. Neighbor had one of those small HEPA filters because of mold found in her place, and swore it helped her. I can't forget the giant fires in FL in `98? The wall of smoke as high as you could see overtaking Maitland on July the 4th with seemingly snow falling and piling up except it was burning flaming embers falling. Coming from miles above straight up that massive wall of black. Totally surreal, hellish occurrence. My new truck got the smell of that smoke in it that overtook the great "new" smell and changing the cabin air filter didn't fix it.

Do you use some of those newer pleated electrostatic air filters in your hvac? My new system is so energy efficient that it seems weak to me. I had to drop down to 1500MPR from 1900 that I used before to keep the airflow good. Anyhow those 3M filters which have been kind of hit and miss in finding this summer do what you've described above also. The 1500 can't weed out viral organisms like the more tight 1900 but still works great. It's one of those new things that once I've tried it I won't go back to the old way! I know my cousin hadn't known about these things last month when she was here, in conjunction with what you have already the results could be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

That's one good way to do it. Neighbor had one of those small HEPA filters because of mold found in her place, and swore it helped her. I can't forget the giant fires in FL in `98? The wall of smoke as high as you could see overtaking Maitland on July the 4th with seemingly snow falling and piling up except it was burning flaming embers falling. Coming from miles above straight up that massive wall of black. Totally surreal, hellish occurrence. My new truck got the smell of that smoke in it that overtook the great "new" smell and changing the cabin air filter didn't fix it.

Do you use some of those newer pleated electrostatic air filters in your hvac? My new system is so energy efficient that it seems weak to me. I had to drop down to 1500MPR from 1900 that I used before to keep the airflow good. Anyhow those 3M filters which have been kind of hit and miss in finding this summer do what you've described above also. The 1500 can't weed out viral organisms like the more tight 1900 but still works great. It's one of those new things that once I've tried it I won't go back to the old way! I know my cousin hadn't known about these things last month when she was here, in conjunction with what you have already the results could be good.

We use some 3M allergen filter in the HVAC but this time of the year we rarely employ that system. Long ago I had some dealings with Farr Industries. They made industrial grade air filtration systems. They also had a few domestic sized products and were trying to enter the portable room sized market. It was interesting stuff back then. Their entire plant was completely void of dust. At the time I didn’t realize the health benefits as much as I do now. I imagine you can still buy centralized systems that’ll keep your entire home dust free...  but they’ll be pricey.

• Like 2

I run a Levoit filter here.  It seems to help and has been signalling for a filter replacement about twice a year.  I think it helps but the filter replacements are about $20-30.  The downside, I need another here in the L-shaped living dining area.  Blech, maybe down the road.  Went with cleaning all the filthy furnace duct work a month or so ago.  Maybe that will help some.  Only time will tell.  

• Like 2

I use a system made by Medify... MA-112 (the largest unit they make.. it's a medical grade carbon/hepa m13 and has ion that can be disabled. I am extremey happy with it. It's super quite (although the smaller units make a lot of noise), does a very good job with dust and other pollutants down to 0.1 microns and is a decent looking unit.  filters are pricey, but I clean mine once before swapping out for new ones. Made in America.

48848676127_ce22778745_k.jpg

Next to Heresy's...

Usually 800-900$ but I think they are on sale right now for 475.

.http://medifyair.com

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Schu said:

I use a system made by Medify... MA-112 (the largest unit they make.. it's a medical grade carbon/hepa m13 and has ion that can be disabled. I am extremey happy with it. It's super quite (although the smaller units make a lot of noise), does a very good job with dust and other pollutants down to 0.1 microns and is a decent looking unit.  filters are pricey, but I clean mine once before swapping out for new ones. Made in America.

Next to Heresy's...

These units are on back order per medifyair, due to covid19. Looks ideal.

57 minutes ago, Schu said:

Next to Heresy's...

Schu,

How does this work for our dust?

Does it work for ozone? 

Does is circulate well or do I need to buy multiple units? 

10 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Good morning everyone. Earlier this year most who live in the west had to deal with hazardous levels of air pollution due to the many forest fires. ‘‘Twas then that the wife and I bought a Dyson brand air purifier/fan because even the indoor air was pretty awful. We don’t live in a huge home (by most standards). We have just over 1,700 square feet but it does have some volume with one great room (where the stereo resides). 

That began over a month ago and that Dyson is running 24/7. It is not their largest unit and I believe it cycles about 5.5 cubic feet per minute. It claimed to filter out particulates and noxious gases, etc with a hepa filter, blah, blah, blah....... Here to report that the silly thing really and truly has made a massive improvement in our lives. For starts there is an overtly lower level of dust.... everywhere. We live in ‘dust land’ and never have we enjoyed such a clean environment. That has resulted in far less congestion. Less congestion means no snoring, better sleep. Previously we had visible dust return after a matter of days on cleaned surfaces. Now it does not return at all (seriously). Granted, we do keep the house closed and it is a tight structure. But there’s no nasal drip, no sneezing and no more constant throat clearing. I had no idea how badly our untreated home impacted our general health. This has made a real difference in our lives. From here forward anywhere I live will include adequate air filtration. I am even gonna find some for the cars.

Not specifically endorsing Dyson as a product but it is working for us. The unit cost was around $500 which included a replacement filter (from Amazon). But there’s quite a selection and price range for similar devices and larger structures will require larger systems. For those of you with turntables and ye olde records a dust free environ would have to be quite an advantage. 

Just an FYI. 

Alen BreathSmart.

I've been using air purifier's for decades.... that not a type-o.

The Alen BreathSmart is hands down the best and quietest I've owned. The automode and nighttime (no lights) feature make them desirable for me. I'm weary of Dyson products, but have not tried their air purifiers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Schu,

How does this work for our dust?

Does it work for ozone? 

Does is circulate well or do I need to buy multiple units? 

For a place the size of yours, you are going to need more than one unit. I got two for my single story, this big unit for thdd main house and one of the smaller units for my bedroom.  (two story is going to need iine upstairs and one down). I wished I had gotten two of the big units because they are way more efficient  and they are super quite.

The dust gathering is really very good. I would say it cut down about 60%-70% less dust and there are no large particles, just some extremely fine dust. Your mileage may vary, but I have two dogs and a large yard with dirt so my dust problem was extreme before, now it's very manageable.  The Anion option actually creates negative ions to attract positive ions... works great, but some say this creates ozone... I could DEFINITELY tell the difference when this feature was on and I liked it, but the wife began suffering from a dry cough she couldn't control... I stopped using it and the cough went away. This feature can be switched on and off.

I've run filter queen units for over a decade.  Filters down to .1 micron and I've picked them up used over the years for as little as $100, though the filters run about 60-70 and they get changed out yearly and the carbon wraps about 2x's a year.  I run 3 in my home.  

Red neck air filtration system. 😀  Box fan and a furnace filter.  I saw this vid and others some years ago, guy had a particulate counter in his test. I bought the components, -$30 bucks- and ran one myself,  no tape needed though, as the filter adheres to the fan while it is running.  My windows are always open though, so it is hard to keep a place dust free. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Schu said:

For a place the size of yours, you are going to need more than one unit. I got two for my single story, this big unit for thdd main house and one of the smaller units for my bedroom.  (two story is going to need iine upstairs and one down). I wished I had gotten two of the big units because they are way more efficient  and they are super quite.

The dust gathering is really very good. I would say it cut down about 60%-70% less dust and there are no large particles, just some extremely fine dust. Your mileage may vary, but I have two dogs and a large yard with dirt so my dust problem was extreme before, now it's very manageable.  The Anion option actually creates negative ions to attract positive ions... works great, but some say this creates ozone... I could DEFINITELY tell the difference when this feature was on and I liked it, but the wife began suffering from a dry cough she couldn't control... I stopped using it and the cough went away. This feature can be switched on and off.

Thanks.  Do not use the ozone generator feature.  It irritates your lungs and you do not realize it.  Same irritant from the smog when we have really hot days. 

I'll look into this.  I think three units, one for bedroom, one for family room and kitchen and one for office. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Thanks.  Do not use the ozone generator feature.

They have their place and uses, but should be run to clear areas of odors without humans being in the room because of the possible irritation.  They are not filters in the traditional sense.  They are strictly for odor elimination and I know of nothing that can handle those problems better, but I know people that run them constantly, and I would not do that. 

2 minutes ago, Pete H said:

They have their place and uses, but should be run to clear areas of odors without humans being in the room because of the possible irritation.  They are not filters in the traditional sense.  They are strictly for odor elimination and I know of nothing that can handle those problems better, but I know people that run them constantly, and I would not do that. 

Agreed.  They work, just don't breath the air and let the area air out. 

• Like 1