Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Bosco-d-gama

Air purifiers

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

They have their place and uses, but should be run to clear areas of odors without humans being in the room because of the possible irritation.  They are not filters in the traditional sense.  They are strictly for odor elimination and I know of nothing that can handle those problems better, but I know people that run them constantly, and I would not do that. 

I agree... the air had a freshness to it that was palpable... I liked it, but like I said it got to the old lady so I just leave it off.

I just read a little more, there is a newer V2 for my model... not sure what has changed besides the front panel does not have the air cleanliness 'indicator' like mine has.

 

I think I am going to get one more ma-112 unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Austin Air Healthmate to take care of a shedding German Shepard and Filtretes in each bedroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 9:53 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Don't want to derail this but anyone have experience with these filters? 

 

My HVAC blower is 20 years old and designed for a fiberglass filter.  Can I use a 4" deep MERV 11 with its significant size? 

 

https://www.filtersusa.com/furnace-filters-honeywell-magnet-fc40r1029-20x30-mfc40r1029-1

 

 

 

You will be fine, because that's exactly what I'm doing. My home was constructed in 2004, I tossed the shytie fiberglass filters and installed activated carbon Merv 11's (by Lenox). Have 3 different units (not sure of capacity, but they're big'uns). Going on 11 yrs. now, no problems other than a blown capacitor at the compressor.

 

The system also has infrared light to kill mold; I change those every other year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

 

You will be fine, because that's exactly what I'm doing. My home was constructed in 2004, I tossed the shytie fiberglass filters and installed activated carbon Merv 11's (by Lenox). Have 3 different units (not sure of capacity, but they're big'uns). Going on 11 yrs. now, no problems other than a blown capacitor at the compressor.

 

The system also has infrared light to kill mold; I change those every other year.  

 

Do you have a link the the Lenox filters? 

 

Are your systems designed for 1" filters or the deep filters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

Do you have a link the the Lenox filters? 

 

Are your systems designed for 1" filters or the deep filters? 

 

All three systems have a removable filter housing. One side has a grab handle which is hinged on one side and the other side has snaps to open and lock closed. It's about 5" (never measured it) thick, so these filters fill the entire cavity whereas the fiberglass ones fit in slots.

 

Here's a link I copied from my Amazon account. They're very effective. Both my wife and one of our daughters is sensitive to dust, oak pollen etc. Too damn many allergies... but with these things, after I started using them, ALL GONE. She can come inside the house and it's over.

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D7URTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gilbert said:

 

All three systems have a removable filter housing. One side has a grab handle which is hinged on one side and the other side has snaps to open and lock closed. It's about 5" (never measured it) thick, so these filters fill the entire cavity whereas the fiberglass ones fit in slots.

 

Here's a link I copied from my Amazon account. They're very effective. Both my wife and one of our daughters is sensitive to dust, oak pollen etc. Too damn many allergies... but with these things, after I started using them, ALL GONE. She can come inside the house and it's over.

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008D7URTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, my filter inlets are the old style with a lip that will accept a 1" filter.  The entire housing is about 5 or 6 inches deep. 

 

The Honeywell filters are designed to work with the 1" lip.  The Lennox filters look like the type that fir in a different type of box. 

 

Are you using the lennox filters in a box with the 1" lip and somehow made them work? 

 

Huge amounts of dust where I live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

OK, my filter inlets are the old style with a lip that will accept a 1" filter.  The entire housing is about 5 or 6 inches deep. 

 

The Honeywell filters are designed to work with the 1" lip.  The Lennox filters look like the type that fir in a different type of box. 

 

Are you using the lennox filters in a box with the 1" lip and somehow made them work? 

 

Huge amounts of dust where I live. 

 

 

Back-Up... beep... beep ... beep.......... this is the filter we use. Sorry, I mistakenly clicked on the wrong one.  The Merv 11 was the very first type I tried when experimenting with the swap from the orig. fiberglass filters. 

 

This is the filter with the activated charcoal, these are the filters the family prefer, or that our pollen sensitive daughter noticed a difference with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PY2EZA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

The filter fits inside the plastic housing that is part of the Lennox system. The plastic housing slides in & out of the Air-hander. It was designed or appears designed to accept multiple thicknesses in the (20"x25")xt" class size category. The box is a bit more than 6" thick.

 

Go buy yourself a Alen Breathe Smart, or some type of HEPA air filter for your favorite room. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gilbert said:

 

 

Back-Up... beep... beep ... beep.......... this is the filter we use. Sorry, I mistakenly clicked on the wrong one.  The Merv 11 was the very first type I tried when experimenting with the swap from the orig. fiberglass filters. 

 

This is the filter with the activated charcoal, these are the filters the family prefer, or that our pollen sensitive daughter noticed a difference with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PY2EZA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

The filter fits inside the plastic housing that is part of the Lennox system. The plastic housing slides in & out of the Air-hander. It was designed or appears designed to accept multiple thicknesses in the (20"x25")xt" class size category. The box is a bit more than 6" thick.

 

Go buy yourself a Alen Breathe Smart, or some type of HEPA air filter for your favorite room. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective they are. 

Thanks.  My system is old and not designed for the pressure drop of a high MERV filter.  I was hoping the Honeywell deep filters would be OK because of the increased surface area but I found a spec sheet and they do have a bit of drop. 

 

I will try the air filter systems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My asthma has been acting up again ... pretty significantly lately. I think I need to try some sort of air purifying gizmo.

Hey Chris @tigerwoodKhorns do you use a swamp cooler out there?  When I lived in the desert, I had a refrigeration unit on my house (that cost a fortune to run); but when I moved away and rented the place, the tenant ran short of cash one month. He worked at an A/C place and asked if he could install a huge swamp cooler in lieu of the back rent. His boss would just dock his pay a little at a time. So, I said yes, figuring that at least I was getting something. I grew up with swamp coolers and in the right climate, they work well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

My asthma has been acting up again ... pretty significantly lately. I think I need to try some sort of air purifying gizmo.

Hey Chris @tigerwoodKhorns do you use a swamp cooler out there?  When I lived in the desert, I had a refrigeration unit on my house (that cost a fortune to run); but when I moved away and rented the place, the tenant ran short of cash one month. He worked at an A/C place and asked if he could install a huge swamp cooler in lieu of the back rent. His boss would just dock his pay a little at a time. So, I said yes, figuring that at least I was getting something. I grew up with swamp coolers and in the right climate, they work well. 

 

Swamp coolers are not used here in residential.  They work and humidify the air, which helps with the dust, but water use would be an issue if everyone were to use them. 

 

You also must have AC because when the summer monsoons come, the swamp coolers do not work and you need the cooling. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

My asthma has been acting up again ... pretty significantly lately. I think I need to try some sort of air purifying gizmo.

Did you watch the link with the box fan and filter?  Pretty impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Did you watch the link with the box fan and filter?  Pretty impressive.

No I didn't. I'll have to check through the thread to find it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2020 at 9:18 AM, Shiva said:

Red neck air filtration system. 😀  Box fan and a furnace filter.  I saw this vid and others some years ago, guy had a particulate counter in his test. I bought the components, -$30 bucks- and ran one myself,  no tape needed though, as the filter adheres to the fan while it is running.  My windows are always open though, so it is hard to keep a place dust free. 

 

 

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

No I didn't. I'll have to check through the thread to find it. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another box fan vid.  He uses a fog machine that makes a racket, but only briefly. As I mentioned before, you do not have to duct tape it. The filter adheres to it when on.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 9:44 AM, Shiva said:

Here's another box fan vid.  He uses a fog machine that makes a racket, but only briefly. As I mentioned before, you do not have to duct tape it. The filter adheres to it when on.

 

 

I have that Honeywell unit and it works great.  I only keep one room super clean with it, but it says it'll do 400 sq. ft. and I believe it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 7:09 PM, Gilbert said:

Alen BreathSmart.

 

I've been using air purifier's for decades.... that not a type-o.

 

The Alen BreathSmart is hands down the best and quietest I've owned. The automode and nighttime (no lights) feature make them desirable for me

 

Thanks... I ended up purchasing an 45i for home, and a flex for my office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 3:45 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My system is old and not designed for the pressure drop of a high MERV filter. 

 

How old is your system? How did you determine the pressure drop?  Do you know the volume of air your fan can push, duct sizes, lengths, etc.? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, Schu said:

I use a system made by Medify... MA-112 (the largest unit they make.. it's a medical grade carbon/hepa m13 and has ion that can be disabled. I am extremey happy with it. It's super quite (although the smaller units make a lot of noise), does a very good job with dust and other pollutants down to 0.1 microns and is a decent looking unit.  filters are pricey, but I clean mine once before swapping out for new ones. Made in America.

 

48848676127_ce22778745_k.jpg

 

 

Next to Heresy's...

 

Usually 800-900$ but I think they are on sale right now for 475.

 

.http://medifyair.com

 

Howe loud is the 112 at normal use? 

 

How loud are the smaller units? 

 

My office is very full, but I need a quiet unit in there.  I was thinking about a MA 40 for the office and two MA112s for the master bedroom and living room / kitchen. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 5:09 PM, Gilbert said:

 

Alen BreathSmart.

 

I've been using air purifier's for decades.... that not a type-o.

 

The Alen BreathSmart is hands down the best and quietest I've owned. The automode and nighttime (no lights) feature make them desirable for me. I'm weary of Dyson products, but have not tried their air purifiers.

Which models Breathsmart do you have? 

 

In comparing the Breathsmart to the Medify, it looks like the filter life will make the breathsmart cheaper in the long run even though the upfront cost is higher. 

 

I need two big ones and a smaller one, or three big units if there is a good reason to stick with the larger units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...