home theater setup 7.2

veera

Hi,

I will be setting up a home theater in my new home. my media room size about 12.5x14.5

what kind of speakers would u recommend?

I was thinking about RC 64-iii and RF-7 iii.

i consulted an audio guy here in dallas and they were saying 64c’s and 7f’s will be overkill in that room.

am not sure what klipsch series to pick here for the media room, can you give me ur suggestions please?

Thank u,

VeerA

Welcome to the forum. Those are large speakers and fitting 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers could be tricky in that small of room. That said, our 9.2 Library Home Theater listed in my sig is in a room not much bigger than yours, but I have bookshelves as natural room treatment, a vaulted ceiling, and not alot of parallel surfaces for the sound to bounce around....Is this going to be a dedicated room for Home Theater? 

• 2 weeks later...

I just put the RF-7 iii's and the matching center in a 12 x 16 room.  We sit about 9 feet away from the speakers and it sounds fantastic.  I've listened to the RP-5000f and the 625FA, and they just do not compare.  Yes, the 625FA's sounded good, but these definitely blow them away.  I have dual subs and when the four 8" subs on the RF-7 iii's get cranking with the dual subs you can feel the sound blowing you back.  This was not possible with the other 2 speakers.

I have heard good things about the RP-8000f and the RP-250F, but I haven't had a chance to hear them.  The only thing with the smaller room is that you can't really crank the speakers up to their full potential. However, they sound good at all listening levels. I say go for it, don't listen to the haters, and I'm sure there are others who would agree.

• 2 weeks later...

veera: Welcome to the forum!!

Your room dimensions are nearly identical to the room my son and I are currently building in his basement. We're actually into our second year of construction and nearly finished. The Covid-thing set us back six months due to quarantine and the year before I had two knee replacements. Elsewise, we should have been done quite a while ago.

I agree that you may want to consider a different approach to your LCR (Left, Center Right) speaker choices rather than towers. In my son Bill's room, he has 3, Heresey III's for LCR separated by 2, SW-115 Subwoofers and they sound awesome! I would recommend going with the newer, Heresy 4's as they were not available yet when we started Bill's room. The sound will never be better than when you have 3, timbre-matched speakers across the front! Be sure to use the floor cradles that come with them.

Bill's system is a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup. He's running the amazingly low-priced, Denon AVC-X6500H, AVR and it seems to handle the system extremely well. He has an 82" Samsung QLED 6 series, UHD screen that feels optimal in the room. We skewed the side walls a total of 8 inches on each side (narrow at the screen wall, wide along the rear wall) in order to manage the bass energy and it works great! As for surrounds, Bill went with in-wall speakers due to their placement options and the fact that they really blend into the room well. If you are considering ATMOS, then I would recommend using Klipsch R-5800-W II, or R-5650-W II speakers for side and rear surrounds. If you don't want ATMOS, then substitute the side surrounds for a dipole speaker such as the R-5650-S II and use R-5650-W II for the rears. As for ceiling speakers, Bill choose the highly-regarded, CDT-5800-C II's.

We used mineral wool insulation in all walls and ceilings and an acoustic membrane over the studs and joists onto which we hung 1/2" drywall on the walls. As for the ceiling, we just hung the track ceiling's L-Channel perimeter and are awaiting delivery of the Sonex Harmoni acoustic ceiling panels, which have a 3-week wait on delivery due to setbacks caused by the virus. We will hang the ceiling grid upon their arrival. Then Bill's room will be nearly complete! Best of luck and happy shopping! -Glenn

On 10/23/2020 at 9:48 PM, Duncan said:

I just put the RF-7 iii's and the matching center in a 12 x 16 room.  We sit about 9 feet away from the speakers and it sounds fantastic.  I've listened to the RP-5000f and the 625FA, and they just do not compare.  Yes, the 625FA's sounded good, but these definitely blow them away.  I have dual subs and when the four 8" subs on the RF-7 iii's get cranking with the dual subs you can feel the sound blowing you back.  This was not possible with the other 2 speakers.

I have heard good things about the RP-8000f and the RP-250F, but I haven't had a chance to hear them.  The only thing with the smaller room is that you can't really crank the speakers up to their full potential. However, they sound good at all listening levels. I say go for it, don't listen to the haters, and I'm sure there are others who would agree.

RF7llls are spectacular speakers, especially when matched with a RC64lll. Your 7's have 10" woofers, not 8" subs. They do have a lot of bass.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:48 PM, Duncan said:

I have heard good things about the RP-8000f and the RP-250F, but I haven't had a chance to hear them.  The only thing with the smaller room is that you can't really crank the speakers up to their full potential. However, they sound good at all listening levels. I say go for it, don't listen to the haters, and I'm sure there are others who would agree.

Duncan: I am definitely, not a hater of RF-7's.  My own 7.1 home theater is based on RF-7 I's. My rooms dimensions are small, too (11.5'w x 19'd). In looking at veera's 12.5' x 14.5' room, I recommended that Heresey 4's be considered over the towers because of the shallow depth of the room. With your room and mine being somewhat deeper, in my humble opinion, there's a bit more time for driver convergence to occur than in veera's. My seating distance for front row is 10 feet from the motorboards with 9 feet remaining behind the seats. As I'd stated in my post, my son's room is nearly identical in size to veera's and his 3, Heresey III's coupled with two 15" SW-115 subs really rock it! I also agree with pretty much everything you mentioned in your post above regarding not being able to crank the speakers up to their full potential in a room that size, which is why I believe my son's smaller Hereseys are such a good choice for a room smaller than ours. Plus, he has the added advantage of 3 Hereseys in an L-C-R array across the front, thereby making them timbre-matched while still clearing the bottom of the video screen. My son's screen is an 82" which hangs fairly low on the wall. -Glenn