Ouch! FORTE Speakers on EBAY

RickFL

3 hours ago, moray james said:

running a scam and taking advantage of a fool are not at all the same thing. I think it is fair to say we have all of us acted foolishly many times in our lives and we learn best when the consequence stings. Even simple people need to learn what things they are good to do on their own and when to ask for assistance. I agree with you that to mislead is not a kind or ethical thing to do but this is a buyer beware world that we live in. Intentionally misleading or lying can be difficult to prove or just not worth involving the law over but in some situations it may be the thing to do. Life can have some hard lessons for us and the sooner we learn them the better off we will be. The person you see as a scammer may simply be desperate for cash and have limited options. I doubt that but I just don't know.

i agree with most of that.  but if you're running a scam to intentionally take advantage of a fool, they go hand in hand. its possible this guy is desperate for cash & limited options etc, but if thats the case he should probably price them more realistically so they would sell & get him some cash for whatever the reason is.  i'd bet a dollar this guy knows exactly what hes doing & is just hoping he finds a sucker.  & hey, more power to him i guess, that's what capitalism is all about.    

if he did some work to them or replaced parts etc etc then he deserves a reasonable amount of profit, just like anything in this country... but based on the pics he couldnt even wipe off the cobwebs!  & if its due to his ignorance, then that falls back on the barret jackson syndrome,  he did a google search for klipsch forte & saw current forte 3 prices & said if new ones are $3000+ then mine are worth $2000. 

i guess the question is, if we see a new member showing off his new to him $2000 fortes, do we tell him???  

8 hours ago, moray james said:

may simply be desperate for cash

I've never seen someone desperate for cash charge a ridiculous price.  It's ALWAYS the opposite, they end up selling something for a lot less than it's worth just to liquidate funds quickly.  If someone actually sold something for an inflated price out of desperation, it's what's called an outlier and not statistically significant.

I also think that people charging ridiculous prices sets the beginning of a trend.... so others think they should try it.... and then you get mediocre speakers selling for way more than they are worth.  For example, I constantly see old cheesy pioneer 2/3-way speakers from the 90's listed for anywhere between $100- $200.... these clunkers should sell for a fraction of that!

Heck, maybe I'll try it... Any takers?

For sale, One of a kind, rare condition, personally autographed by the 5th owner's kid, famous JBL brand!  $5000

image.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I've never seen someone desperate for cash charge a ridiculous price.  It's ALWAYS the opposite, they end up selling something for a lot less than it's worth just to liquidate funds quickly.  If someone actually sold something for an inflated price out of desperation, it's what's called an outlier and not statistically significant.

I also think that people charging ridiculous prices sets the beginning of a trend.... so others think they should try it.... and then you get mediocre speakers selling for way more than they are worth.  For example, I constantly see old cheesy pioneer 2/3-way speakers from the 90's listed for anywhere between $100- $200.... these clunkers should sell for a fraction of that!

Heck, maybe I'll try it... Any takers?

For sale, One of a kind, rare condition, personally autographed by the 5th owner's kid, famous JBL brand!  $5000

image.jpeg

why not? no one is twisting your arm to purchase anything.

Last time I looked you could ask anything you wanted for your own stuff. The new prices are crazy so sooner or later the used ones will follow that trend. Use to be able to get HK 430 receivers for 80 to 140 now your gonna pay 300 for a good one. He can always come down if he wishes to but he cant go up if he gets a lot of people all of a sudden. If you dont like the price dont buy them... simple right??? 

• Like 1

im not disagreeing with asking what you want, or that an item is worth what someone will pay... within reason.  the point i was making that some seem to be missing or trying to defend, is that when you INTENTIONALLY jack up the price for the sole purpose of trying to take advantage of someone, that is wrong. period.  we've all heard about used car salesman ripping people off, or a mechanic taking advantage of an old (or young) lady that doesnt understand cars, this situation is no different.  if its not intentional & just ignorance, thats different & falls back on the syndrome i explained above.  

again, if you do a lot of work or upgrades etc & raise the value of the item, whether its a car or a house or a speaker thats fine.  dont get me wrong, i have bought a lot of things with the intention of making a reasonable profit, have sold all kinds of audio gear & cars etc over the years, but nobody walked away feeling like they got scammed & most were very hapy or even became personal friends.  especially in the community of a hobby like on here, if you do that to others, you get a bad name real quick like.  

& businesses do this every day within reason, take levis jeans for example, sears didnt pay $40 for them but thats what they charge & new levis are "worth" that much based on other retailers prices.  imagine if you went into a store & saw the same levis for $80 or $120, would that be cool because "they can charge whatever they want?"  no, most people would likely walk out of the store & tell everyone not to shop there because they are a ripoff!  thats all im saying on situations like this.  

buy what you want & pay what you want, but i will always call out a scam when i see it or tell the unsuspecting guy hes getting taken when i can... & these fortes with cobwebs & cosmetic issues are NOT worth anywhere near 2000 dollars no matter how you try to justify it.      

• Like 1

I just bought these today...

I went to pick up an old SW12 for $80 to refurbish.(Needed a new volume pot and 2 new dustcaps.... anyone have a decent source for klipsch dustcaps with the logos?) 

We got to talking and he said he has an old pair of Fortes he wants to get rid of.  I asked him how much..... he said $100.  So, I thought to myself, "Self, these are probably shot and he just wants me to remove them from his basement for him!"   So, we went into his basement and had a look:

Grills: Dirty, but in decent condition with no snags and good condition badges

Cabinets: Fair.  Nothing that a good cleaning (remove the cobwebs) and some sanding/ refinish work won't fix. (Except on the risers... parts of the laminate are missing)

Drivers: Excellent.  All working with no pushed in dustcaps!

All in all not a bad day!  However, I was a little bummed that the sw12 was the vinyl finish version... I wanted to sand and stain it to make it beautiful.  I guess it will stay the boring black color it is!

Maybe I should just list them for $2000? (with the cobwebs of course!)

Forte 07.jpeg

Forte 05.jpeg

Forte 09.jpeg

Forte 03.jpeg

Forte 02.jpeg

Forte 01.jpeg

1 minute ago, RandyH000 said:

someone just got  very ---lucky WOW

I know!  I was expecting them to be totally trashed!  Especially after looking at the grill ( plastic mesh in very bad shape!) and the pushed in dust caps on the sub I was buying.

They do need some work, but that's what I like to do....make them all better again.

congrats!  excellent deal!  shoot, go for $2500... because if the ones on ebay are worth $2000 yours have less cobwebs so they must be worth $2500.  ;)

as for the dust caps, im not aware of any that are sold with the klipsch logo but there may be some i havent found yet.  you can buy the correct felt type in the right size that will look fine but no klipsch logos. or depending how bad they are pushed in you might be able to pull them out?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

depending how bad they are pushed in you might be able to pull them out?

The 12" passive radiator might be able to be pulled out, but the dustcap on the 10" active driver had a small rip and was pulled away from the cone.  Not able to be repaired as it easily ripped because it was so brittle!

s2.jpeg

s1.jpeg

these speakers were painted black at the Factory   FB  -----Fir black lacquer -RV  is for the Riser Base which was an option on the Forte 1-- 

quick question what grid  of sand paper did you use , it sure does not seem to have scratched the veneer  -----great job , I would  use Watco Danish oil or boiled linseed oil , but be very careful with the rags , burn them after you are done -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

what grid  of sand paper did you use

I start with 120 and then switch to 220 on a hand held palm type sander.  I use very little pressure when I switch to the 220.

2 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

I thought you could almost never get the black completely out.

It also depends on the veneer they use.  Oak is next to impossible to get all of the black out, but I actually like it when it's still in the grains.

This is an oak set of KG 3's that used to be black.... you can see what I'm talking about...

09.jpg

• Like 1