Good blueray player

JoeJoeThe3rd

I replaced my traditional BluRay player with an X-Box One X - I am glad I did. It does a good job of playing DVDs, BluRays and 4K discs. Where it totally exceeds the traditional BluRay player is in the streaming arena (Netflix, Hulu etc). Navigating these streaming apps with a bluray remote was frustrating to say the least. Much easier with the X-Box controller. And, you can play games on it. You may want to consider a console (XBox or Playstation).

As far as 4K Tvs - I bought a 85" Sony 900F a year or so ago (replaced a 10 yr old Panasonic 65" plasma). I am very impressed with this TV. However, standard DVDs (not Bluray) do not look that good on it. They look OK - not great. I do believe this is due to the amount of upscaling that takes place from standard DVD (480p) to 4k. Standard Blurays(1080p) look very good, they upscale well. It is a lot less of an ask to upscale 1080p to 4k compared to 480p to 4k. 4k discs are awesome.

That is my 2 cents - good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

JoeJoeThe3rd: I too, was interested in getting an Oppo. However they vacated the disc player market (at the top of their game, I might add) a couple of years ago (Samsung has vacated the disc player market as well) and newer offerings from various manufactures have more advanced features and updated video codec compliances than the older Oppo's. One machine, in particular that some reviewers have claimed to have matched Oppo's playback (video and audio) quality is the Panasonic UB-9000 4K UHD Disc Player ($999). However, being on a budget, I opted for the 9000's little brother, the Panasonic UB-820 4K UHD Disc Player ($499). I bought it a few weeks ago during Prime Day from Crutchfield for $100-off ($399)! It's a wonderful machine and the primary difference between it and its big brother is that the UB-9000 has superior build-quality: The 9000 weighs17 pounds! The UB-820 weighs 5 pounds. The 9000 has an onboard DAC and HDMI, Discrete Analog, Optical and Coaxial Audio output. The 820 has HDMI, discrete Analog and optical, no coaxial. For the money, the UB-820, especially if you can find it on sale, is the best buyer's choice, in my humble opinion. For a review on my findings on the Panasonic UB-820, please refer to the link to my post in AndreG's post above. Happy shopping! Best of luck!  -Glenn

23 hours ago, picky said:

JoeJoeThe3rd: I too, was interested in getting an Oppo. However they vacated the disc player market (at the top of their game, I might add) a couple of years ago (Samsung has vacated the disc player market as well) and newer offerings from various manufactures have more advanced features and updated video codec compliances than the older Oppo's. One machine, in particular that some reviewers have claimed to have matched Oppo's playback (video and audio) quality is the Panasonic UB-9000 4K UHD Disc Player ($999). However, being on a budget, I opted for the 9000's little brother, the Panasonic UB-820 4K UHD Disc Player ($499). I bought it a few weeks ago during Prime Day from Crutchfield for $100-off ($399)! It's a wonderful machine and the primary difference between it and its big brother is that the UB-9000 has superior build-quality: The 9000 weighs17 pounds! The UB-820 weighs 5 pounds. The 9000 has an onboard DAC and HDMI, Discrete Analog, Optical and Coaxial Audio output. The 820 has HDMI, discrete Analog and optical, no coaxial. For the money, the UB-820, especially if you can find it on sale, is the best buyer's choice, in my humble opinion. For a review on my findings on the Panasonic UB-820, please refer to the link to my post in AndreG's post above. Happy shopping! Best of luck!  -Glenn

Thanks you so much this is a very informative post thank you. I will actually probably buy one or the other. 

• Like 1