TI Class D Eval Amplifier Boards

ClaudeJ1

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/TAS5630PHD2EVM/2261921?s=N4IgjCBcpgbB0QGMoDMCGAbAzgUwDQgD2UA2iAMwUAMA7LACwgC6hADgC5QgDKHATgEsAdgHMQAX0IAmelFApIGHAWJlwAVgCc0jQA4W7LpF4CR4qeC16t85Gix5CJSOWqGQnbnyFjJhAFoNO0VlJzVXEHgPLxNJS2l1DlwAD3RsAAIRbAEAVwBbXGEOTKRMdMyAExYJIA

So those of us lucky enough to have purchased the prior generation of these excellent modules at 1/2 off the old list price of $150 direct from ($75 plus shipping) and using MeanWell 48 Volt Power supplies with them, have had a real bargain on our hands, since they have, what looks to be just a change in part number to justify the MUCH HIGHER PRICE!

I also got some steel cabinets to house mine, so I'd better get going on finishing these off for my basement system this winter! With a 100 db/Watt Tapped Horn "OThorn" sub and some Peavey/JBL/K402/DaveA LMAHL tweeters, this will be a killer "basement system" in my workout room in the basement. Big bang for buck indeed!

• Like 1

I use mine to power “Supered” HIPs.  A TPA3118 “Wiener” class D amp powers my DIY Fostex 103 bass reflex single drivers.  While both sound very good, the TPA3255EVM sounds better than the 3118 on the same speakers.  Some of the difference could be attributable to the higher power of the 3255.

4 hours ago, Shiva said:

Apparently so. It's a great indication of Chinese vs. US using the same chip and PCB components, and you get a case with it...............but no power supply. The 24-38 volts suggests that it should reach the 300 Watt range if you use the higher end of the supply range. If you use 24 V, you'd be lucky to get 120 watts/channel with a 4 ohm load.

• Like 1

Still waiting.......somebody please measure the residual carrier (450KHz) that you get at the output of yourTPA3255Eval board amp. I reported in my thread I'm seeing 1.5 to 2volts p to p with the output filter supplied by T.I. on their board. Using my amp on the Jube Bass bins so I don't hear any artifacts but just curious what others are seeing.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The 24-38 volts suggests that it should reach the 300 Watt range if you use the higher end of the supply range. 

Don't forget that in order to see that kind of power your PS also needs to supply around 9 Amps ... per channel.

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Don't forget that in order to see that kind of power your PS also needs to supply around 9 Amps ... per channel.

I also believe that so many amps today can work off so few smaller devices because the Rds On of modern Mosfet transistore is usually 0.1 ohms or less.

On 10/14/2020 at 10:05 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/TAS5630PHD2EVM/2261921?s=N4IgjCBcpgbB0QGMoDMCGAbAzgUwDQgD2UA2iAMwUAMA7LACwgC6hADgC5QgDKHATgEsAdgHMQAX0IAmelFApIGHAWJlwAVgCc0jQA4W7LpF4CR4qeC16t85Gix5CJSOWqGQnbnyFjJhAFoNO0VlJzVXEHgPLxNJS2l1DlwAD3RsAAIRbAEAVwBbXGEOTKRMdMyAExYJIA

So those of us lucky enough to have purchased the prior generation of these excellent modules at 1/2 off the old list price of $150 direct from ($75 plus shipping) and using MeanWell 48 Volt Power supplies with them, have had a real bargain on our hands, since they have, what looks to be just a change in part number to justify the MUCH HIGHER PRICE!

I also got some steel cabinets to house mine, so I'd better get going on finishing these off for my basement system this winter! With a 100 db/Watt Tapped Horn "OThorn" sub and some Peavey/JBL/K402/DaveA LMAHL tweeters, this will be a killer "basement system" in my workout room in the basement. Big bang for buck indeed!

$478?  Where's the $75 or even the $150?

Ended up picking up two 1000ASP ice amps at $249 each from PE.  Wish they could come up with their cabling.  It's been on BO.

37 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

$478?  Where's the $75 or even the $150?

Ended up picking up two 1000ASP ice amps at $249 each from PE.  Wish they could come up with their cabling.  It's been on BO.

Now you know why I started the thread. I bought a 50 watt/ch. Ice amplifier and a housing kit. Had to order 2 sets of cables since they were incomplete. Cables for that is the issue and even now, the connector is missing from one of the AC inputs. Stupid crap....................on the other hand, the 2 Hypex mono bloc kits I ordered from the Netherlands came fast, complete, and were the easiest builds EVER, with no soldering. I did both in 1.4 hours flat!

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Now you know why I started the thread. I bought a 50 watt/ch. Ice amplifier and a housing kit. Had to order 2 sets of cables since they were incomplete. Cables for that is the issue and even now, the connector is missing from one of the AC inputs. Stupid crap....................on the other hand, the 2 Hypex mono bloc kits I ordered from the Netherlands came fast, complete, and were the easiest builds EVER, with no soldering. I did both in 1.4 hours flat!

Thanks... Good to know about the Hypex.  I've been paranoid about ordering the the NCore modules but they have me wondering.

5 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Thanks... Good to know about the Hypex.  I've been paranoid about ordering the the NCore modules but they have me wondering.

Been using them as my R&L channel amps for several years. I took the plunge unheard before anyone else. When I heard them vs. my First Watt Aleph J reference amp, it was not contest. Class A sound with 400 watts of headroom! BTW, I never turn them off since they use so little power left on. You can do it without fear. Heck, I'll by 'em from you if you don't like them!

On 10/14/2020 at 10:30 AM, Shiva said:

Just ordered 2 of those. I should get them by Thankgiving, so I'll let you know...........now to look for a suitable power supply! Looks like the Mean Well HRP 600N-36 is the ticket!

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just ordered 2 of those. I should get them by Thankgiving, so I'll let you know...........now to look for a suitable power supply! Looks like the Mean Well HRP 600N-36 is the ticket!

That's cool. Yeah, a long ship time.   I was wondering what the right power supply would be to bring that amp to its full power.

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

That's cool. Yeah, a long ship time.   I was wondering what the right power supply would be to bring that amp to its full power.

The power supplies are more money than the amp.........BUT, I may be able to use an old amplifier that needs repair, which has a supply that would work.

9 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The power supplies are more money than the amp.........BUT, I may be able to use an old amplifier that needs repair, which has a supply that would work.

I've had excellent luck doing exactly that -- https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/192587-another-my-first-class-d-diy-amp/&do=findComment&comment=2510655.

21 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I went a similar route with the Anaview (Abletec) out of Sweden. I was lucky enough to pick up a pair because the company has gone OEM and no longer sells to the public. They are incredible amplifiers.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I had the same issue with cabling on BO. I ordered from China on the bay and was surprised it was here in three weeks

Rich