Good speaker to run with Chorus ones

Proudpapa

Just bought a pair of Chorus speakers upgraded with Crites tweeters.Looking to add a 2nd pair of something preferably a 2-way design.I just sold a pair of KG 5.5 which were excellent speakers but I’m looking for something different.Thinking of CF3 or KG 5.2’s.Any thoughts?For power I’m using a NAD 9060 with an Adcom GFP 555

Edited by Proudpapa
Left out information
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Proudpapa said:

Just bought a pair of Chorus speakers upgraded with Crites tweeters.Looking to add a 2nd pair of something preferably a 2-way design.I just sold a pair of KG 5.5 which were excellent speakers but I’m looking for something different.Thinking of CF3 or KG 5.2’s.Any thoughts?For power I’m using a NAD 9060 with an Adcom GFP 555

Your request does not sound as if you are building a surround system, are you wanting to run two sets of stereo speakers at the same time with the same information? If so why? Are you running a stereo or a PA? If you want more jam get some more amps and or a pair of dual fifteen Klipsch pro cabinets. Going the opposite direction to a small two way with a pair of subs will provide much better sound quality but not the same level and I am going to guess that you like to play loud, a pair of LaScala with a pair of subs would fit that bill very well. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 2

When I was in my early 20's I used to think along the same lines, MOAR = better!! I'd always run A+B together, etc... not sure why but it seemed to make sense with the low quality speakers I had at the time. Didn't sound that great but it was sort of loud and looked cool having a stack of speakers.

I've since learned that a two channel setup of proper speakers (such as your Chorus) paired with a good amplifier will provide more than enough (in both sound output and sound quality), especially in a residential situation. Surround sound is a different story and of course multiple speakers are part of the expectation there.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:18 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Agree with Moray. If your intent is to run both pairs of speakers at the same time in a stereo configuration, my advice is to resist that urge completely..........

just curious, but why should 2 sets of stereo speakers be avoided completely? 

back some 25 years ago when i was first starting to build a system for a house i moved into from a condo, i had 2 kg5.5 & 2 MTX dual 12" woofer tower speakers, in the condo i only had a receiver with A & B channels & could only listen to them at lower levels.  at the house, i bought an onkyo M504 amp & hooked it to the onkyo AVR pre outs & ran the MTX off the amp & klipsch off the receivers 105 watts per channel.  the klipsch & AVR was for normal listening & surround sound, but when i wanted to really crank it up LOUD i kicked on the amp to drive the MTX speakers in the rear corners of the room & it was a night & day improvement in volume & mainly bass levels.  yes you lose stereo imaging but it filled the whole room with a very full sound that didnt require a sweet spot & the bass was chest pounding for a poor guy in the 90's without a sub.  with the amp off it was a more refined sound but would not come close to the volume level that the 4 stereo speakers could do.  for certain situations there is an advantage to running 4 speakers that way, receivers have had A & B channels for 4 speakers since the 70's.  

& whats funny is i sold the MTX to a friend many years ago, & found 2 other pairs of them for him since hes on a budget & not really a critical listener & doesnt care to spend the $$ for klipsch speakers.  he also has my old onkyo receiver & runs 2 extra 100wpc onkyo amps that have daisy chain pre outs (in & out)... with 6 dual 12" speakers, (yes that 12, 12" woofers) running in stereo mode, there is so much headroom that the woofers barely need to move to get awesome bass & even though the mtx speakers are more of a house speaker like cerwin vega, it sounds pretty good for what he wants & cost all of about 500 bucks!         

just curious, but why should 2 sets of stereo speakers be avoided completely? 

If all you want is a "room full of sound", then by all means, use two sets of speakers (why not three pair? Four?)

But if you want a semblance of accuracy and quality music reproduction, you probably want to go a different way. Sometimes less really is more......

simple; Stereo is two channels of encoded information and when played back on two channels you reproduce the sound properly as it was recorded. The fewer speakers used in your loudspeaker the less inter driver interference you get and by adding secondary loudspeakers it just further compromises the sound many times more. If you want more level or more bass then get a higher output capacity loudspeaker. In most home settings a sub or two will solve these issues when combined with a smaller main loudspeaker. Just as an example a pair of KLF30 each with dual twelve inch woofers can provide continuous output in the 110 db range and much higher peaks no problem and this is Very Loud in a home setting. Consider that the average sound system in a bar is set for an average level of 95db at 20 Feet away from the stage. I hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, Shakeydeal said:

If all you want is a "room full of sound", then by all means, use two sets of speakers (why not three pair? Four?)

But if you want a semblance of accuracy and quality music reproduction, you probably want to go a different way. Sometimes less really is more......

did you read my full post?  i have a friend that does exactly that, he has 3 pair of dual 12" woofer speakers ran on 3 separate amplifiers, granted its not accurate imaging etc, but i guarantee its a fuller sound with crazy amounts of bass compared to 2 speakers with 2 woofers or even 4 woofers. you can clearly hear increases in sound & bass when he kicks on each amp.  & the current setup he has is all speakers are up front next to each other in the corners, its still has decent stereo separation.  it's all about budget & wants/needs.  im not saying one is better than the other, just different ways to skin the audio cat.  

& on that same note, have you ever been to a live rock concert in a large stadium or even in a smaller bar... they dont have just 2 speakers pointing to one sweet spot, they have multiple large speakers, to make a "room full of sound" still only using 2 channels of stereo music, so everyone in the building gets blasted with sound. yes its not a semblance of accuracy, but for large rooms with many people in it, like at a house party or a group of friends, nobody cares about a sweet spot to get perfectly imaged stereo sound?  2 different scenarios & maybe the OP wants more sound in his room than just a single sweet spot?     

9 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

did you read my full post?  i have a friend that does exactly that, he has 3 pair of dual 12" woofer speakers ran on 3 separate amplifiers, granted its not accurate imaging etc, but i guarantee its a fuller sound with crazy amounts of bass compared to 2 speakers with 2 woofers or even 4 woofers. you can clearly hear increases in sound & bass when he kicks on each amp.  & the current setup he has is all speakers are up front next to each other in the corners, its still has decent stereo separation.  it's all about budget & wants/needs.  im not saying one is better than the other, just different ways to skin the audio cat.  

& on that same note, have you ever been to a live rock concert in a large stadium or even in a smaller bar... they dont have just 2 speakers pointing to one sweet spot, they have multiple large speakers, to make a "room full of sound" still only using 2 channels of stereo music, so everyone in the building gets blasted with sound. yes its not a semblance of accuracy, but for large rooms with many people in it, like at a house party or a group of friends, nobody cares about a sweet spot to get perfectly imaged stereo sound?  2 different scenarios & maybe the OP wants more sound in his room than just a single sweet spot?     

Oh where to start............

Your first paragraph reinforces my point. I remember that sh*t from when we were kids. It was fun, but I grew up. Like I said, it's all about priorities and a rig like that doesn't even blip on my radar.

Second paragraph. Yes, I've been to many live concerts. You are confusing sound "reinforcement" with sound "reproduction". PA speakers at concerts are in the "making music" business. Home stereo speakers are in the "recreation of the event" business. Two totally different things.

Again, if having a boatload of speakers in your room trips your trigger, it's no sweat to me.

Shakey

20 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Oh where to start............

Your first paragraph reinforces my point. I remember that sh*t from when we were kids. It was fun, but I grew up. Like I said, it's all about priorities and a rig like that doesn't even blip on my radar.

Second paragraph. Yes, I've been to many live concerts. You are confusing sound "reinforcement" with sound "reproduction". PA speakers at concerts are in the "making music" business. Home stereo speakers are in the "recreation of the event" business. Two totally different things.

Again, if having a boatload of speakers in your room trips your trigger, it's no sweat to me.

Shakey

oh where to start.... 

im not trying to argue that a bunch of lower end speakers in a room is better than quality speakers set up more in line with what we as "audiophiles" feel is correct. my point is regarding the OP asking about 4 speakers in stereo mode, it can be done & for certain situations that i mentioned it has its advantages or will work ok.  i too grew up & dont do the multiple speakers anymore like when i was a broke teenager.  doesnt change the fact that not every persons needs or room layout is the same. i have & probably will again hook up 4 speakers in 4 corners of my room & enjoy them at low or high volumes, i switch up my systems from time to time just for a change...  some people even use the 5 channel stereo on their AVR's for a more room filling sound at times or prefer multi channel SACD over traditional 2 channel cds.  

im not debating sound reproduction vs reinforcement, just an example of how multi speakers can & do have benefits for certain situations over just 2.  there's plenty of live music out there that if you're trying to "recreate the event" it was never just 2 speakers, it was a huge venue with multi speakers.  same applies to live music in a bar or a party or group of friends at a house... ive never been to a party or had a group of friends over & had anyone say, turn off the other speakers man & let me sit in the sweet spot for accuracy.  gotta keep things in perspective here.  i agree 2 ch stereo is best with 2 speakers for most listening, but there are many other situations when 4 can & do work just fine. 

again, i dont have a boatload of speakers in my set up & it doesnt necessarily trip my trigger... just giving examples of where it can "work" & mentioned how my friend has his stereo set up.... & the parties or playing drums & guitar together are a blast with that many speakers.         

I see nothing wrong with running multiple speakers I've done it off and on over the years and despite what the naysayers say I've always enjoyed the results. 

If you have multiple speakers on hand give it a try it's fun to experiment and if it doesn't work out the way you hoped easily reversible. Let your own ears be the judge. 

• Like 3