For our attorneys...what makes a good judge?

Chris A

I'd like to pull any remaining conversation back to those having degrees in law and are practicing or have practiced, since that's the title of the thread. 

Now that I've revealed the underlying purpose of my questions, I'll back up my request with this: my ballot for the 2020 (November) election has 22 judicial races on it, in addition to the one or two races that are favorites of the press (and seemingly everyone else).  That's something like 40 different backgrounds/CVs to read (some races are uncontested), and some of those races have very little difference between the names on individual races.  If each voter were serious about their citizenship (and I can see some sniping here on that essential function--which I don't appreciate, which I believe to be critical to the proper functioning of a representative democracy/republic), that's a lot to ask of voters, and having to do in-depth searches for voters guide (those documents put together by newspapers and other organizations--such as the League of Women Voters, etc.).   So the real issue is deciding among these races of unknown candidates and even what function each court possesses.  That's not a trivial matter, in my view. 

Chris

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I'd like to pull any remaining conversation back to those having degrees in law and are practicing or have practiced, since that's the title of the thread. 

Now that I've revealed the underlying purpose of my questions, I'll back up my request with this: my ballot for the 2020 (November) election has 22 judicial races on it, in addition to the one or two races that are favorites of the press (and seemingly everyone else).  That's something like 40 different backgrounds/CVs to read (some races are uncontested), and some of those races have very little difference between the names on individual races.  If each voter were serious about their citizenship (and I can see some sniping here on that essential function--which I don't appreciate, which I believe to be critical to the proper functioning of a representative democracy/republic), that's a lot to ask of voters, and having to do in-depth searches for voters guide (those documents put together by newspapers and other organizations--such as the League of Women Voters, etc.).   So the real issue is deciding among these races of unknown candidates and even what function each court possesses.  That's not a trivial matter, in my view. 

Chris

I recommend you look at endorsements by local bar associations.  It's one step closer to people "in the know."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that I got a good answer to my questions, I'll release my request for attorney-only responses in this thread.

Have a good day!

Chris

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What is "interstate commerce?"

I studied engineering where 'laws' were very solid and not open to argument and twisting.  F = MA.  E = mc^2

When I studied law and learned about the commerce clause I was completely disgusted that this is all just a game played by power grabbing fat men in suits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The fact that the U. S. Supreme Court doe not always reach a unanimous decision demonstrates that even at the highest level there can be honest disagreements.

I have to ask.... sorry,...... what makes you believe that a disagreement between SCOTUS's is "Honest" and not "Political"?  

2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I studied engineering where 'laws' were very solid and not open to argument and twisting.  F = MA.  E = mc^2

When I studied law and learned about the commerce clause I was completely disgusted that this is all just a game played by power grabbing fat men in suits. 

It's pretty disingenuous, isn't it?  Wickard vs Filburn held a federal statute prohibiting growing crops on your own land, to be consumed by livestock on your own land, is a valid exercise of Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce.  Once you make that leap, it's pretty clear how it really works.

On 10/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

Some judges like to intimidate mere mortal attorneys.  I dislike that very much when it happens.  There is no reason for judges to get huffy and puffy when counsel are all being professional and courteous.  

reminds me of a movie scene - 

19 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's pretty disingenuous, isn't it?  Wickard vs Filburn held a federal statute prohibiting growing crops on your own land, to be consumed by livestock on your own land, is a valid exercise of Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce.  Once you make that leap, it's pretty clear how it really works.

That is putting it mildly.  When presented t us in law school, the professor used civil right as an example.  A red herring to pull on heart strings.  If there is meat in a cooler that came from out of state then a restaurant is involved in interstate commerce so the civil rights act applies.  Definitely the right outcome, but the wrong reason.  Other students were so impressed, I was appalled at how this game is played. 

Think about it, virtually all  of the federal governments power is based on a power grab by the Supreme Court.  I am not saying that we should have strong state governments and a weak federal government as originally planned by the founding fathers, but the fact that the entire system is based on such a lie discredits the entire system. 

Can you imagine explaining to the founders that the strongest government has most of its power come from an argument about the commerce clause that would get you laughed out of court.  I seem the remember that there is a way to amend the constitution.  Did that ever get used? 

Similar topic, why do we still vote for judges? 

We do not live in one horse towns anymore.  I have no idea who most of these people are an d just follow the newspaper's picks. 

I do remember one person from law school running a few years ago.  In class, this person wanted to know "yea, what's the deal with those tags on mattresses.'