Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Chris A

For our attorneys...what makes a good judge?

Recommended Posts

I'd like to pull any remaining conversation back to those having degrees in law and are practicing or have practiced, since that's the title of the thread. 

 

Now that I've revealed the underlying purpose of my questions, I'll back up my request with this: my ballot for the 2020 (November) election has 22 judicial races on it, in addition to the one or two races that are favorites of the press (and seemingly everyone else).  That's something like 40 different backgrounds/CVs to read (some races are uncontested), and some of those races have very little difference between the names on individual races.  If each voter were serious about their citizenship (and I can see some sniping here on that essential function--which I don't appreciate, which I believe to be critical to the proper functioning of a representative democracy/republic), that's a lot to ask of voters, and having to do in-depth searches for voters guide (those documents put together by newspapers and other organizations--such as the League of Women Voters, etc.).   So the real issue is deciding among these races of unknown candidates and even what function each court possesses.  That's not a trivial matter, in my view. 

 

Chris

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I'd like to pull any remaining conversation back to those having degrees in law and are practicing or have practiced, since that's the title of the thread. 

 

Now that I've revealed the underlying purpose of my questions, I'll back up my request with this: my ballot for the 2020 (November) election has 22 judicial races on it, in addition to the one or two races that are favorites of the press (and seemingly everyone else).  That's something like 40 different backgrounds/CVs to read (some races are uncontested), and some of those races have very little difference between the names on individual races.  If each voter were serious about their citizenship (and I can see some sniping here on that essential function--which I don't appreciate, which I believe to be critical to the proper functioning of a representative democracy/republic), that's a lot to ask of voters, and having to do in-depth searches for voters guide (those documents put together by newspapers and other organizations--such as the League of Women Voters, etc.).   So the real issue is deciding among these races of unknown candidates and even what function each court possesses.  That's not a trivial matter, in my view. 

 

Chris

I recommend you look at endorsements by local bar associations.  It's one step closer to people "in the know."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I recommend you look at endorsements by local bar associations.  It's one step closer to people "in the know."

Agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I got a good answer to my questions, I'll release my request for attorney-only responses in this thread.

 

Have a good day!

 

Chris

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Chris A said:

Now that I got a good answer to my questions, I'll release my request for attorney-only responses in this thread.

 

Have a good day!

 

Chris

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DizRotus said:

 Failing to decide is always wrong.

"If you choose not to choose, you still have made a choice"  --Neil Peart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, babadono said:

"If you choose not to choose, you still have made a choice"  --Neil Peart

 

Voting?  Yes.

 

Judicial rulings? No.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

 What is "interstate commerce?"

 

 

 

I studied engineering where 'laws' were very solid and not open to argument and twisting.  F = MA.  E = mc^2

 

When I studied law and learned about the commerce clause I was completely disgusted that this is all just a game played by power grabbing fat men in suits. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The fact that the U. S. Supreme Court doe not always reach a unanimous decision demonstrates that even at the highest level there can be honest disagreements.

 

I have to ask.... sorry,...... what makes you believe that a disagreement between SCOTUS's is "Honest" and not "Political"?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

 

I studied engineering where 'laws' were very solid and not open to argument and twisting.  F = MA.  E = mc^2

 

When I studied law and learned about the commerce clause I was completely disgusted that this is all just a game played by power grabbing fat men in suits. 

It's pretty disingenuous, isn't it?  Wickard vs Filburn held a federal statute prohibiting growing crops on your own land, to be consumed by livestock on your own land, is a valid exercise of Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce.  Once you make that leap, it's pretty clear how it really works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

 Some judges like to intimidate mere mortal attorneys.  I dislike that very much when it happens.  There is no reason for judges to get huffy and puffy when counsel are all being professional and courteous.  

 

reminds me of a movie scene - 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 12:38 PM, billybob said:

That said, the ABA and your state bar association is worth noting.

As to the information you are able to attain there, would keep an open mind, as to research on sitting judge.

Agree...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It's pretty disingenuous, isn't it?  Wickard vs Filburn held a federal statute prohibiting growing crops on your own land, to be consumed by livestock on your own land, is a valid exercise of Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce.  Once you make that leap, it's pretty clear how it really works.

 

 

That is putting it mildly.  When presented t us in law school, the professor used civil right as an example.  A red herring to pull on heart strings.  If there is meat in a cooler that came from out of state then a restaurant is involved in interstate commerce so the civil rights act applies.  Definitely the right outcome, but the wrong reason.  Other students were so impressed, I was appalled at how this game is played. 

 

Think about it, virtually all  of the federal governments power is based on a power grab by the Supreme Court.  I am not saying that we should have strong state governments and a weak federal government as originally planned by the founding fathers, but the fact that the entire system is based on such a lie discredits the entire system. 

 

Can you imagine explaining to the founders that the strongest government has most of its power come from an argument about the commerce clause that would get you laughed out of court.  I seem the remember that there is a way to amend the constitution.  Did that ever get used? 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

reminds me of a movie scene - 

 

Paper Chase...the professor...

John Millhouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar topic, why do we still vote for judges? 

 

We do not live in one horse towns anymore.  I have no idea who most of these people are an d just follow the newspaper's picks. 

 

I do remember one person from law school running a few years ago.  In class, this person wanted to know "yea, what's the deal with those tags on mattresses.' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...