Klipsch Chorus II - $800 (NW Fort Wayne Union Chapel)

opusk2k9

From ad:

Pair of Klipsch Chorus II in Oiled Oak finish. Consecutive serial numbers. Purchased from original owner. Installed updated Crites crossovers, and Titanium Tweeter and Midrange Diaphragms. I purchased a pair of custom slanted risers and removed the original risers, but still have them if you prefer the classic look. The purchased risers give the speakers a slight tilt backwards which I prefer. Cosmetically in excellent condition. The only cosmetic issue of note is the passive radiator dust caps are dented inward. No impact on sound quality and they were in that condition when I purchased. I also added some acoustic insulation to inner walls of the cabinets when installing the updated crossovers. Lastly I added a few washers to the inside rear of the passive radiators which helps low end extension (common Klipsch Chorus II mod). Included will be the original risers, tweeter and midrange diaphragms.

https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ele/d/fort-wayne-klipsch-chorus-ii/7216989761.html

No affiliation.

ChorusII.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried to buy these (he replied to a wanted ad I listed). he started off by letting me know he had over 1200 in upgrades in them (he was wrong, he sent an itemized list and was several hundred over the actual cost on a couple parts). Once I pointed that out he stopped replying! Said he didn't want to sell them. He originally said he'd let them go for 1400. 

I emailed him a month later, frustrated that I still hadn't found any speakers. Told him Id pay his asking price, after a few emails he once again told me he doesn't want to sell...

Anyway, I'm surprised he'd end up selling these at 800, he supposedly paid 900 for them and has several hundred in upgrades in them. If he actually did sell them for that someone got a great deal and he took a huge haircut. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Edit.

Just sent an offer to purchase myself. Waiting for a reply. It is late now. Thank you for the listing. This forum is great. If the owner is here, save them for me buddy.

Good luck , the upgrades alone are worth pretty close to the asking price -

28 minutes ago, Danger Duck said:

Dang it!  I've been looking for a pair of these, and this add had them literally a mile or two from my place in Fort Wayne......never fails...lol....

Great speaker.  Fair market price as I show those for $757 average including this sale.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, edzu1234 said:

I think this was a SCAM!    The same photo was in an ad on EBAY for Chorus speaker risers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Made-Ash-Speaker-Stands-for-Klipsch-Chorus-I-IIs-and-IIIs/193262816891?hash=item2cff5c8e7b:g:8JAAAOSw--9eDqYh

I think the person who listed that ad is the same person with those speakers. He listed the same mods that he told me about and he had many more pictures of them in that same room that he shared with me. The seller of those risers probably uses pictures sent from customers for his ebay ad. I allowed a seller of LED bulbs to use a picture of my McIntosh amp in his ebay ads. 

I just don't understand how he went from not budging from 1400 to selling them for less than he originally paid, losing close to a grand on them after all those mods, in the course of a handful of months. That's whats got me scratching my head 🤔

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, edzu1234 said:

SCAM!      WHY would someone invest that much time and money into upgrading speakers, only to sell them for the price of the UPGRADES!!!

Beats me! I find it interesting that he's sticking to the story of the passives being dented in. I understand knowing the usual mods and trying to use that knowledge to gain someones trust, but why concoct a story about the passives being pushed in and sticking to it for so long? I agree the selling price is very fishy though. 

Edit: also like I said, he sent me several more pictures that were clearly these exact speakers and in the same room. 

Edited by Rbrock83

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Great speaker.  Fair market price as I show those for $757 average including this sale.

I appreciate all the work you have put in to tracking and creating the awesome speadsheet document of past sales of particular Klipsch models of speakers. I have used it many times myself. However, it is times like these that I oppose the speadsheet document being used for current real world appraisals. Specifically, when the speadsheet shows a value that is obviously below current market trends. When a specific speaker model such as this one, which has a far higher market demand than the same market is capable of supplying, continues to increase in asking price, and buyers continue to line up around the block praying for a chance to actually be the the sole owner. Again I value the work you have done and hope that you would continue to do so and continue to share that information with all the members. I am just against using that document as an appraisal tool.  I am not against using that document to weigh current market trends. Just saying this is what they averaged for X and then saying that is what they are now worth is wishful thinking at best and will actually be preventative to a member actually trying to acquire these, or even worse try to sell them, in today's real world market. I can personally respond to 4 very recent cases where Klipsch Chorus II's were sold to buyers traveling over 400 miles to pay more than 150% of the current speadsheet average. I do not know these people, can not prove the sale, I only know of the sales, I know they are not on your speadsheet. One more thing. Time. Time is representative in valuation. For instance how many days homes sit on the market after being listed is always indicative of housing market demand. When the first guy you see throws his money at you and runs away laughing and crying about what a great deal he just got, you just lost money.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

However, it is times like these that I oppose the speadsheet document being used for current real world appraisals.  (respectful snip, just wanted to reference the post)

No problem.  I always value your opinion and you will never hurt my feelings with your honesty.

I agree with your analysis ^^^.  No matter what I post with my spreadsheet, you know the many variables which contribute to the price.  Maybe I don't express those variables often enough, but I think you did a great job.  And of course, the bottom line is a used speaker is worth whatever a willing Seller and a willing Buyer can agree to.

As always if you have sold prices I simply add them to the spreadsheet without questioning the veracity.  If we can verify sales that is best but as you we don't always know.  My spread sheet is a good research tool and the more current it is, the more validity it has and I know I haven't tracked every sale.  Just the ones which come across my desktop.

So if you come across any Heritage sales feel free to PM me and I'll add it.  I'll let the reader decide what info is relevant and what isn't, which is what I've always done.

Thanks for the thoughtful post!  👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

No problem.  I always value your opinion and you will never hurt my feelings with your honesty.

I agree with your analysis ^^^.  No matter what I post with my spreadsheet, you know the many variables which contribute to the price.  Maybe I don't express those variables often enough, but I think you did a great job.  And of course, the bottom line is a used speaker is worth whatever a willing Seller and a willing Buyer can agree to.

As always if you have sold prices I simply add them to the spreadsheet without questioning the veracity.  If we can verify sales that is best but as you we don't always know.  My spread sheet is a good research tool and the more current it is, the more validity it has and I know I haven't tracked every sale.  Just the ones which come across my desktop.

So if you come across any Heritage sales feel free to PM me and I'll add it.  I'll let the reader decide what info is relevant and what isn't, which is what I've always done.

Thanks for the thoughtful post!  👍

I am happy that you can see what the true intention of my post was all about then. I am sorry when occasionally I am impelled to say things that may have the effect of devaluing others comments and opinions. I do not have anything more to add here. Please continue doing your best, as will I.

FWIW my wife and I spoke about this sale and agreed to drive 650 miles round trip to purchase them for $800 if the buyer would subsequently agree to sell to us. Never heard from the seller anyway. I already own 3 pairs now. I am confident that if I were to have succeeded I could have easily accumulated $200 in expenses, $200 in net profit after resale, while still retaining more than $400 in parts for which I was after. Don't know about you, but for me a long days work for what I think would have been a decent payoff made the prospect appealing enough to get my wife to buy in as well. Keep posting these kind of sales guys. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely a scam. I also tried to buy these, told him I would be in the area in a couple of weeks. He said I was next in line. Ad went down I emailed to see if they were sold, about a week later same ad was up. I also found the ad on hifishark, I believe. Reached out through the other site, no answer.

11 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Maybe I don't express those variables often enough,

I think that your spreadsheet is great, as it is. It would be interesting if there were more points. Adding the points of location, time of year, upgrades and such would show trends, such as when there were so many great deals in Florida, or how tough it is to find anything in some areas. Because most people on this forum have some of what we NEED, we are usually holding out for the better deals. If the sales from here are mostly what gets recorded on the spreadsheet, then the true average price might be a little higher. As far as upgrades: Just like upgrades on motorcycles, cars and such, those are the ones to buy, but the seller almost never gets anywhere near what was spent on it.