Sanity check please!

HenrikTJ

Hi

Had a little back-forth on reddit about this picture and the other guy insists that the speakers at the back are in the right position to act as side surrounds. I just want this forums opinion... Those speakers at the back are in the position of rear surrounds right?

EDIT: rear (back)

wtflol.jpg

• Like 2

Those are rear Surrounds for sure... and normally you would add side surrounds (or just surrounds) before you add rear surrounds, and they would be anywhere from directly next to your listening position, to a few degrees behind you, but still on the side wall. Don't worry, you're totally sane bro... 😉 

• Like 1

That looks like a 5.1.4 Atmos setup, but not necessarily.

The side surrounds must be implemented before surround backs can be installed.  It looks to me like the side surrounds are not in the recommended side and slightly above the head position and instead mounted in the rear surround position, albeit a little low.

This could also be a 7.1.2 setup, with the front ceilings doing side surround duty and then the rear surrounds would be in the correct spot.  The second in-ceiling speakers could be either center or rear Atmos.

In any case side surrounds are not placed to the rear, low and behind the seats.  There are all kinds of images for Atmos setups to verify that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Those are rear Surrounds for sure... and normally you would add side surrounds (or just surrounds) before you add rear surrounds, and they would be anywhere from directly next to your listening position, to a few degrees behind you, but still on the side wall. Don't worry, you're totally sane bro... 😉 

hahaha thanks!! just had to check

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

Hi

Had a little back-forth on reddit about this picture and the other guy insists that the speakers at the back are in the right position to act as side surrounds. I just want this forums opinion... Those speakers at the back are in the position of rear surrounds right?

EDIT: rear (back)

in case you have not noticed there are  speakers in the ceiling -------and they are placed at an angle , they may be the speakers   the other  guy insists are side surrounds ------------look up above the 2 lamps at the left and the right -  these speakers  should be on both sides of the room -

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

My "surrounds" are in that position as I do not have a good way of having side surrounds.  

Same in my “Music Room”. I’ve got two Heresys in a similar position.  I’ll agree it’s not optimal. But YPAO seems to be able sort it out without too much trouble. I don’t do a lot of HT there but the sound is quite good when I do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

in case you have not noticed there are  speakers in the ceiling -------and they are placed at an angle , they may be the speakers   the other  guy insists are side surrounds ------------look up above the 2 lamps at the left and the right -  these speakers  should be on both sides of the room -

Ye i know, however the OP did write in the title of the post that the system was a 5.1.4 so those in-ceilings are probably the x.x.4

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

My "surrounds" are in that position as I do not have a good way of having side surrounds.  

So in your and OPs case, you´d forgo calling them side or rear, and just call them surrounds? I guess if it works with the room and the experience then it really doesnt matter. It just pissed me off how he insisted that whats depicted in the picture was a good side surr position.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I think a pair of side surrounds on stands would work great in that room. Looks nice.

I agree, but according to OP, the sofa furthest away is almost right up against the wall. Since he got the system for his family, which apparently is big, he cant get rid of that couch

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

I agree, but according to OP, the sofa furthest away is almost right up against the wall. Since he got the system for his family, which apparently is big, he cant get rid of that couch

Is the OP unhappy?

Unless a bet idea, OP should be able to live with it. I could...

• Like 2