Amp & avr hooked to 1 pair of speakers

Lbk

Want to hook up a Carver m1.0t amp and my avr to chorusII speakers. Using an onkyo avr that does not have 7.0 pre outs does have zone 2 and 3 line out. ( is the line out a pre out?) I do have an older integra that does have 7.1 pre outs.

My goal is to use Carver on mains and use avr to power other 7.0 speakers. Do I need some sort speaker selector  thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billybob said:

Would try those line out from AVR to Carver out to mains. 

As for selector, you play your AVR with other zone you choose activated as well...

Going to try zone 2 tonight will let you know what happens.

Don't mind using the interga with pre outs, has some nice tuning features but it's older and doesn't have some of the more modern features. Still might use but can I run main speakers pre out and other 7.1 speakers off high power? (Surround  speakers and center) If this would work I would only have 1 set of wires going to mains and not 2.

Some times I like to listen to 2 channel for music most times 7.2.

23 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If you're using your Chorus for both HT and 2 channel, with 2 amps, you need a speaker switch like the Niles SPK-1. It works well, and can handle up to 600 watts.

The Niles SPK-1 is exactly how I can use a Denon avr-x3200w for HT and Emotive gear for 2 channel using a single pair of klf-30s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Just tried zone 2 line out to Carver, loud no volume control at avr. Got to assume lineout is high power and not a pre out. 

Alright, unless you can control the level, then that is out.

If you read my earlier posts just now and it does not apply to your situation, look into that Niles switcher mentioned... thanks.

• Like 1

Like to listen to music mostly in 7.2 occasionally 2.2 channel. Thought the carver has dead but just discovered it still works! Would like run avr to center and surrounds and have Carver run mains while in 7.2 mode if possible. If not could I run speaker from avr 7.2 to all speakers including mains then another set of wires from Carver to mains. Would I need a switcher to disconnect one set of wires?

4 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Yes - no volume control on carver amp.

Was talking about the level on rear of Carver, which is of no real use to being able to adjust volume from zone 2.

Guess you could use your Integra for 2 channel then or think about a switch.

• Like 1

Just now, Lbk said:

Sorry should have said level control and not volume control, Carver has none.

Checked out the niles spk1 looks like the way to go. Still if the pre pro could run pre out and high power at the same time that might work, I will have to check an online manual.

You would need three sets of speaker wires to do it this way.

One set from the avr mains to the SPK-1

one set from your external amp(s) to the SPK-1

and finally one set from the SPK-1 to the speakers.

By default (in my case)  the avr powers the speakers for HT, but when powering up the Emotiva gear I also power up a 12v wall-wart that is applied to the relay in the SPK-1 and it is switched over from the avr to the Emotiva gear.

Mind you that the avr and Emotiva gear each ha

e there own sources, so in other words neither system shares say a common CD, TT or tape deck.

spk1.jpg

11 minutes ago, billybob said:

Was talking about the level on rear of Carver, which is of no real use to being able to adjust volume from zone 2.

Guess you could use your Integra for 2 channel then or think about a switch.

Sorry should have said level control and not volume control, Carver has none.

Checked out the niles spk1 looks like the way to go. Still if the pre pro could run pre out and high power at the same time that might work, I will have to check an online manual.

• Like 1