Amp & avr hooked to 1 pair of speakers

Lbk

12 minutes ago, Lbk said:

Sorry should have said level control and not volume control, Carver has none.

Checked out the niles spk1 looks like the way to go. Still if the pre pro could run pre out and high power at the same time that might work, I will have to check an online manual.

The manual is always helpful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lbk said:

Sorry should have said level control and not volume control, Carver has none.

Checked out the niles spk1 looks like the way to go. Still if the pre pro could run pre out and high power at the same time that might work, I will have to check an online manual.

So, no preouts on the AVR you are using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

You would need three sets of speaker wires to do it this way.

One set from the avr mains to the SPK-1

one set from your external amp(s) to the SPK-1

and finally one set from the SPK-1 to the speakers.

By default (in my case)  the avr powers the speakers for HT, but when powering up the Emotiva gear I also power up a 12v wall-wart that is applied to the relay in the SPK-1 and it is switched over from the avr to the Emotiva gear.

Mind you that the avr and Emotiva gear each ha

e there own sources, so in other words neither system shares say a common CD, TT or tape deck.

spk1.jpg

I have my Niles trigger hooked up to the AVR. If I'm listening to 2 channel, then turn on AVR, the Niles kicks in and sends the AVR's sound to the mains. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I have my Niles trigger hooked up to the AVR. If I'm listening to 2 channel, then turn on AVR, the Niles kicks in and sends the AVR's sound to the mains. 

This niles is a nice piece and may be use ful down the road, switcher and build in 12  volt trigger.

Looked at manual for interga and if I understand it correctly the pre out and high outs work at the same time unless mode switch is pressed and turns off pre outs. If true I can hook the carver to the main pre out and the surrounds would still have high power to surrounds. ( Will that give more power to surrounds? )

There are no gains on the amp, if above works hoping I can use interga's setting to adjust volume on carver. I will post my finding later today, if this doesn't work the niles should be the answer.

Now I am thinking  nice pre amp to go with Carver, does it ever end.😍😋😮😮

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lbk said:

( Will that give more power to surrounds? )

Will you get more available power to the surrounds? In theory yes. If you have less speakers driven then the available “pool” of power is increased.

Rarely multi channel avr amps can supply there rated advertised power per channel. Look at the total wattage consumed on the back of your avr.

As an example my Denon avr-x3200w is rated at 105w p/c, but the total the avr can use at any time is 600w per the listing on the back of my avr.

So 600/7 = ~86w. This of cores is not taking into account that the avr has it's own power needs so that ~86w p/c is even less – maybe ~70-75w p/c in the real world.

I

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexander said:

Will you get more available power to the surrounds? In theory yes. If you have less speakers driven then the available “pool” of power is increased.

Rarely multi channel avr amps can supply there rated advertised power per channel. Look at the total wattage consumed on the back of your avr.

As an example my Denon avr-x3200w is rated at 105w p/c, but the total the avr can use at any time is 600w per the listing on the back of my avr.

So 600/7 = ~86w. This of cores is not taking into account that the avr has it's own power needs so that ~86w p/c is even less – maybe ~70-75w p/c in the real world.

I

Interesting thanks! 

I used pre outs from interga to carver amp and then to mains only,  high power outputs to all others speakers. Worked so pre outs and high outputs can be use at the same time.

Unfortunately I am getting a hum from main speakers hooked to Carver amp. Haven't checked out Carver but hook  mains to reciever and hum is gone. For now I am going run interga till I get a chance to check out the carver. At least I  know I can use pre out's and high outputs at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Cool... May try plugging a different ac circuit on one or the other.

Could be a ground hum.

Looks like you are sorting it out.

Will be weekend before I get to look at  Carver. Little surprised I thought the carver would a bigger improvement over the  interga avr. Carver had slightly better mids and highs ( less grainy,clearer ) and bass seem to extend  a little further into the room  but nothing major.

Think I need room conditioning but lately life keeps getting in the way. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get a couple days dedicated to audio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

Will be weekend before I get to look at  Carver. Little surprised I thought the carver would a bigger improvement over the  interga avr. Carver had slightly better mids and highs ( less grainy,clearer ) and bass seem to extend  a little further into the room  but nothing major.

Think I need room conditioning but lately life keeps getting in the way. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get a couple days dedicated to audio.

Understand and, yes get back to us... thanks. It is important that we all understand this exercise. Control is not everything , yet important...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billybob said:

Besides the hum, I did mention a quality yet inexpensive preamp, not for the frontend of your system, but between the Integra then and the Carver, giving you level/power, ultimately volume control. Minimal yet, sometimes necessary.

I will play with it Sunday and post what I find. Eventually I would like to try a tube pre amp. 

• Like 1