Best stylus type for sound ?

joessportster

So I have a Well Temper Armadeous TT set up with the cartridge "Audio Technica AT-VM95EN". A.T. Offers several styles of stylus for the same cartridge body. I am looking for info / opinions on which stylus would offer the best sound QUALITY.  one item of note is the Well Temper tone arm has a FIXED headshell position, NO adjustment is available except for azimuth, tracking alignment, and tracking force

I have the cart VTF set at 2.0 Gram (suggested is 1.8 to 2.2) Azimuth is level to the eye, and VTA is level to the eye as well

I am playing ONLY high quality New or Like New Vinyl with the original stylus I notice some background noise and I am wondering if a different stylus might mitigate that noise

The stylus I have now is the Orange Elliptical Nude

Options available are: 

Red  Microlinear Nude

Green Elliptical Bonded

Brown Shibata Nude

Blue conical Bonded

White conical 78 RPM (I know I dont need & cant use this one)

So which would you opt for and if yo can explain why

• Like 1

Shibata grinding Diamonds have a higher dynamic range. They are usually sharper to penetrate deeper into the groove and have a larger contact scanning surface to better scan the groove.

However, they are also somewhat more sensitive with regard to the condition of the record. Here you can hear a crackling sound which is not noticeable with a round grinded diamond like for example Denon DL 301. Cartridges with Shibata needle cuts sound fantastically good. I have some myself, such as Audio Technica AT 20 SLA.

Otherwise you will find here a lot of information on the subject TT

So go for it and share your experience with me @joessportster

I'm a shibata fan.  I've been using them for years.  Audio Technica, and initially upgrading from the elliptical---I've never looked back.  When I have recommended these to others, usually involving the ortophon black which I would love to have I have always received rave reviews and thanks for helping.

• Like 1