Autoformer Tabs Varnish Removal

Blvdre

Installing my 3636 Autoformers and will be using terminals for connection (so that the mid attenuation can be changed on the fly). The manufacturer doesn't apply a mask on the autoformer tabs before varnish is applied to the part, so they're all covered in the stuff. I tried burning off with my iron, but it's a mess and does a bad job of it. Any ideas for cleaning these up?

No, not flux. They varnish the whole assembly, and I think you’re right: they figure people are going to solder to the tabs. I wouldn’t call it poor quality control, as the part is being built as intended. You could call it poor process, but masking costs extra, and the manufacturer is trying to hit a cost point. Inconvenient, though.

7 hours ago, Deang said:

If soldering, it just melts out of the way. If you want to use disconnects, just scrape it off with an exacto knife.

I'm using terminals for easy changes (I always solder the crimped terminals, though. Can't help myself). I had started with an X-acto, but switched to a small rat-tail file, which sped things up. Cleaned up with acetone, ready to go.

• Like 1