Klipsch Missing Boat w/o "Heritage Subs?

jdmccall

17 minutes ago, Ole Dollar said:

I do have a reference series home theater setup for video.

You ought to hear a Jubilee/K-402-MEH/TH--based system (dialed in) for movies.  It's a lot better than commercial cinemas.

See: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/26262-chris-a/&tab=field_core_pfield_14.  It makes the Klipsch Reference-based systems sound like...well...I'll leave that comparison out of the conversation for the sake of courtesy. 

And the best music and sound that I own are in surround sound format--by far.

Chris

5 minutes ago, Chris A said:

You ought to hear a Jubilee/K-402-MEH-based system/TH (dialed in) for movies.  It's a lot better than commercial cinemas.

See: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/26262-chris-a/&tab=field_core_pfield_14.  It makes the Klipsch Reference-based systems sound like...well...I'll leave that comparison out of the conversation for the sake of courtesy. 

I have no doubt what you are saying is true but I wonder actually how many pairs of the larger Heritage speakers are sold....

5 minutes ago, Chris A said:

And the best music and sound that I own are in surround sound format--by far.

Chris

I listen to ONLY multichannel music and have heard your room IS everything you say it is! :) 

As far as a "heritage" inspired sub, I think they should go passive. They know how to make great speakers and cabinets. This would make them blend well with their heritage line. They have struggled with powered speakers and subs. I build a fair amount of subs and usually use an outboard amp. I have even build small box to house a plate amp outside an enclosure. Amps in vibrating boxes just seem like a bad idea. 

A good looking, Heritage inspired sub that someone like Roy put together to blend with the rest of the line, just sounds like a good idea. Did I already say that??

• Like 1

@Chris A I have been following your MEH adventures on the forum with great interest. I am focused on finishing my McIntosh vacuum tube amp collecting which will be complete by Christmas so have not contacted you about this yet. Also need to find a place to retire in the next couple of years - with a large listening room of course. Also must admit I don’t watch many movies these days as am enjoying stereo again. Since I have done considerable work with PA systems I am interested in the surround aspect of recorded audio - still have my Yamaha DSP-1.

Back on subject - anything that can be done to produce a better sounding subwoofer is a good idea. A Heritage version seems like a great idea as well.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

As far as a "heritage" inspired sub, I think they should go passive.

Passive as in no amp ? Or passive as in no DSP ?

He was working on a Heritage sub that was nice but I don't know where it stands, haven't talked with him about that in a while If I remember correctly no DSP's.

45 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Did they ever make these for retail sale?  I thought the ones floating around were all prototypes.

I heard a rumor that you know who had 5 of 'em(I think it was 5) but when they're gone that's it. But they were all pebble black which is a non starter for me. I would love to have an unfinished one like dtel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Passive as in no amp ? Or passive as in no DSP ?

He was working on a Heritage sub that was nice but I don't know where it stands, haven't talked with him about that in a while If I remember correctly no DSP's.

Passive as in no amp. Just a good quality driver which blends well with the current heritage line and a great looking cabinet with matching veneer and grill cloth etc.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, jdmccall said:

Yeah, I know PWK never designed and sold a sub for mating with k-horn, la scala, belle, cornwall, heresy, etc., but...  Klipsch now sells lots of products under the "Heritage" banner that were not around when PWK was.  So, why in the name of all that's right and good, does klipsch not design, build and market a high-quality sub (or three) to go with the huge installed base of heritage speakers that have been sold all over the world?  Make grille styles and cabinet finishes optional to match different era's of Heritage speakers.  Don't be too greedy on pricing and they will sell faster than Hope can build!

Thoughts?

Mr. Klipsch probably didn't want the sub coloring the upper bass notes with intermodulation distortion, you know with that sub double cone vibrating itself off the floor. Now if the sub was strictly a folded bass horn that passed 12 to 30HZ that had a throat of 55 feet and cost 100K he might have jumped on it.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rockhound said:

I agree on the passive comments above, the amps in Klipsch subs are why I don't buy them. I sure would like to see what kind of horn sub Roy could design for the heritage line, 1202?  

There's a rumor that he prototyped a 1202.  Don't know how accurate that is.