Shiit Aegir with Klipschorns

tromprof

After reading the stellar reviews of the newish Schiit Aegir amplifier I recently acquired one. The amp is a 20 watt class A design they call "Continuity."  I finally found the time to get it hooked up today and IMO the sound lives up to the hype.

Over the years I have had lots of amps in and out my Klipschorn system and IMO the Aegir really seems to combine the best aspects of tubes and SS. Very detailed but at the same time no harshness, with the mids reminding me of a 300B tube amp I had a few years back but again with better detail.

Bass is very good, but perhaps not as authoritative as my Crown D75, but certainly way better than my current 2A3 tube amp.  Excellent imaging as well, while listening to some of my favorite demo tracks I could have sworn I was hearing sounds from outside the room. Truly 3 dimensional!  Its also quiet with just a very faint hum that can be heard right at the mouth of the mid horn.

At only $799 plus shipping, and a 15 day return policy its definitely worth a look. 

• Like 6

A Schiit Mani was recommended to me by a friend who knows his Schiit so I went with it.  Now I'm not a phono stage kinda guy but I want the most bang for my buck with any purchase.  For $150 this lil thing cooks with my Linn table and PrimaLuna amp paired with my LS.  The approach they're taking I think is a good move and seems to deliver from everything I've heard.  Although I'll prolly never get away from gas it really makes me wonder if it's THAT good.  Stellar reviews from what I've read and been told so it was nice seeing your post.  Thanks!  :)

• Like 2

This is my second purchase from Schiit, the first being a Modi dac. The Modi seemed good for a $100 dac, but I passed it along to another forum member. The Aegir however is definitely a keeper and really seems almost tailor made for big efficient horns.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If you're looking for a DAC, check out the Bifrost.  No need going any higher in their DAC line up.  Ask me how I know, LOL.

In the last few months I have brought home a pair of Heresys, a pair of Corwalls, a single Forte, the Aegir, and just today a Denon tape deck. I think my wife (an extremely tolerant person) might not approve any more fun stuff until after the holidays. I would like to try one however... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quick update on the Aegir. After having a few days to listen I have found this to be huge upgrade to my K-horn system. The sound is better than I ever thought possible, imaging is superb. Best amp investment I have made, and no where near the most expensive. A winner for sure for efficient speakers IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tromprof said:

Quick update on the Aegir. After having a few days to listen I have found this to be huge upgrade to my K-horn system. The sound is better than I ever thought possible, imaging is superb. Best amp investment I have made, and no where near the most expensive. A winner for sure for efficient speakers IMO.

WHY did I know you were going to say that???  😂   ✌️

On 10/30/2020 at 4:06 PM, DJEditor said:

Are you using a Freya + with the Aegir? This would add more tube elements. 
I’m thinking of Aegirs in Monoblock and a Freya + for a pair of H4’s. 

No, I have a SS Integra DHC-80.3 preamp. Great DAC built in and decodes SACDs.

I thought about the Freya but the Integra/Aegir combo sounds very very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, tromprof said:

In the last few months I have brought home a pair of Heresys, a pair of Corwalls, a single Forte, the Aegir, and just today a Denon tape deck. I think my wife (an extremely tolerant person) might not approve any more fun stuff until after the holidays. I would like to try one however... 🤪

I envy you, that's quite a motley crew of speakers, hope you have the space for them. Are you trying to figure out which ones to keep or furnishing other rooms in the house?

So I ordered the Vidar and tracking says I'll be receiving it by the end of next week.

I'm tempted.....and if the Vidar lives up to the hype.....to also order an Aegir. They have the 15 day trial period so I might just check it out. From the descriptions I've read and knowing my listening habits, it might be cool to switch over to that class A sound from the Aegir every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is my second purchase from Schiit, the first being a Modi dac. The Modi seemed good for a $100 dac, but I passed it along to another forum member. The Aegir however is definitely a keeper and really seems almost tailor made for big efficient horns.
How long is the power cord that came with the Aegir? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

17 minutes ago, SWL said:

How long is the power cord that came with the Aegir? I can't seem to find this anywhere.

I actually don’t know. I used the power cord from the previous amp and chucked the factory one in my box of misc. cords. All I know is that is black. How’s that for absolutely no help.😳

• Like 1