IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN ...

BigStewMan

20 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Here you go Gilbert ...  From top to bottom ... Rickenbacker, Gibson Firebird (I mistakenly said reverse firebird in original post), Taylor 12 string, Duesenberg Caribou, Duesenberg Rusty Steel. 

360.jpg

750-DSFRTBCH_front.jpg

1208060094-front-large.jpg

dcb_stage.png

dtv-rs_stage.png

What's a famous/popular song that includes a Rickenbacker? 

19 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

What's a famous/popular song that includes a Rickenbacker? 

Lot's of Beatles songs - You Can't Do That - Ticket To Ride - If I Needed Someone

The Byrds used them extensively too - Eight Miles High

It's clear Stew.  Listen to me, I'm a drummer, therefore I'm an expert at what guitar you should get.  It goes like this---chicks get drawn to the guitar, then end up with the charm their pants off drummer.  OK, charm their skirts off too.  Prefer them in skirts actually, as a leg man.  Chicks love drummers who are leg men.  Wait, what was the question?

• Haha 3

Knowig little to nothing about git-tars - can they be likened to a hifi system where several pieces effect the final sound? 
You have the body, hollow or solid; many brands of pickups; a myriad of amplifiers. So how does, can, one brand have a “house” sound with other influences to the final sound, tone etc.?

2 hours ago, richieb said:

Knowig little to nothing about git-tars - can they be likened to a hifi system where several pieces effect the final sound? 
You have the body, hollow or solid; many brands of pickups; a myriad of amplifiers. So how does, can, one brand have a “house” sound with other influences to the final sound, tone etc.?

you're spot on that myriad things affect the final sound ... type of wood, strings, pickups, amp.  are you asking if, for instance, all Rickenbacker 330s with the same strings, same pickups and all ran through the same amp with the same settings will sound similar?  Most likely.  I have a VOX amp that has pre-set tones that many famous musicians use ... i.e. if you want Brian May's sound click this button.  However, if you want to sound like Brian exactly ... are you using a treble booster?  Same gauge strings? Even stuff like Brian uses a coin and not a pick, he can use the serrated edge of the coin to get a particular sound that a person using a pick or their fingers won't get. Personally, I RARELY use a pick -- I use my thumb or finger. I like the feel of the string on my finger; but you won't always get the same sound. A lot of variables go into the final sound.  Some things are a constant ... mahogany wood is mahogany wood, maple is maple, rosewood is rosewood, size is size. Construction does present some constants. 

Most guitars can have a change in sound over time. There are many things that affect the sound, humidity, temp, sunlight! 

Check out some of the rigs guys like Steve Vai or Joe Bonamassa use, they need a full time guitar tech just to get the rig up and running.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

All of the B-52's, for example.

And pretty much everything by the Bangles. Susanna Hoffs has been playing them all her career.

My personal favourite has always been the venerable Telecaster. Just something about the tone with both pickups engaged that really works for me. A true workhorse and very easy to customize to your tastes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Schu said:

OIP.JU9iDRawEEL8u2VGKQWQBQHaLI?pid=Api&d

my favorite bass player.  I had the honor of meeting and talking with Chris about THAT very Rickenbacker.  He told me, "It practically plays itself," but we all know that Chris was just a great musician. And that Rickenbacker there is one of the most beautiful instruments that I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

my favorite bass player.  I had the honor of meeting and talking with Chris about THAT very Rickenbacker.  He told me, "It practically plays itself," but we all know that Chris was just a great musician. And that Rickenbacker there is one of the most beautiful instruments that I've ever seen. 

That's a 4001 correct? Geddy Lee played one pretty good also.

• Like 1