"new to me" Technics 1200 MKII from Pete H.

Fido

I recently purchased a "new to me" Technics 1200 MKii with a Shure m97XE cartridge from fellow Klipsch Forum member Pete H. He packed it better than I have seen anything ever packed for shipping and it arrived flawless as has everything I have bought from Dave A and Claude. The turntable looks BRAND new and after quickly setting it up it sounds really good. Perhaps as good as my fully restored Dual 1229 with a V15 Type 3 cartridge and Jico SAS stylus. I will have to spend some hours playing many of my favorite records but I just wanted to share the great experience I had with this purchase and the amazing packing job Pete did with this precision Turntable! Kudos!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It was a very interesting first day with the Technics 1200. Before receiving the turntable I read many threads about the shortcomings of the 1200. Many people said almost everything about it was mediocre and many modifications were required to have it sound even barely listenable. ahhhhh - Audiophiles!!!!! lol

So I added a better mat and setup the cartridge and my phono preamp up to match and have spun many albums that I have listened to many times on my Dual 1229 and think the Technics sounds equally as good. Very interesting takeaway from this experience. My hearing must not be very good because I do not hear a bad sounding turntable. This is almost straight out of the box. Is modifying something that is already very high quality necessary for everything in the audio world? 

What do audiophiles hear that I do not? 

Do records sound vastly better on a Rega or VP, Garrard, or Clearaudio or is there only so much you can get out of vinyl playback. Is it real or mostly "really" HYPE?

I dont have any answers here. To my ears in my system my valve amp sounds better than my hybrid Mcintosh Integrated did but does it really sound better? hmmm

Same with my Denefrips Dac seems to sound much better to me than my old chip based Dac.????

The one thing I can say for sure - the upgrades I have done to my speakers have made a HUGE difference but are other parts of the chain as critical to enjoying the music? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

@KROCK  where did you hide all your equipment ? Obviously you have more turntables than records, I see you so rarely in the vinyl record spinning thread !

In my time as DJ I also worked with the Technics SL 1200 MK II as well as with the Thorens TD 126 MK III . Total Different concepts but both were great to work with.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

@KROCK  where did you hide all your equipment ? Obviously you have more turntables than records, I see you so rarely in the vinyl record spinning thread !

In my time as DJ I also worked with the Technics SL 1200 MK II as well as with the horens TD 126 MK III . Total Different concepts but both were great to work with.

My record collection is about 500 and counting. No shit! Plus 18 Reel to Reels full of music. It's a hassle to take pics from my phone & download it to the computer. I spin almost everyday. image.png.067e6f3e03a4888fd5cd5d80e3cc64c6.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have over 300 albums and some of those were never on CD or streamed anywhere. I listen to vinyl almost daily on my Dual 1229. When not listening to vinyl I stream Tidal with a very analog sounding DAC from Denefrips.

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Fido said:

I have over 300 albums and some of those were never on CD or streamed anywhere. I listen to vinyl almost daily on my Dual 1229. When not listening to vinyl I stream Tidal with a very analog sounding DAC from Denefrips.

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

We´re keen on you @Fido, have fun and share your records with us in the vinyl record spinning  thread . It´s a nuts house there  there  L O L ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, rockhound said:

Very cool @Pete H packs whatever he sells to survive a nuclear explosion or UPS/Fedex package handlers lol! Enjoy the new toy!

Its funny - I think Pete H, Dave A and Claude are all buddies and all three of them pack the gear they sell as if their lives depended on getting it to you safely!

Im loving the new TT - Just added the KAB fluid Damper and the Achromat platter Mat and its sounding SWEET! 🤘

• Like 4

On 10/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, Fido said:

I recently purchased a "new to me" Technics 1200 MKii with a Shure m97XE cartridge from fellow Klipsch Forum member Pete H. He packed it better than I have seen anything ever packed for shipping and it arrived flawless as has everything I have bought from Dave A and Claude. The turntable looks BRAND new and after quickly setting it up it sounds really good. Perhaps as good as my fully restored Dual 1229 with a V15 Type 3 cartridge and Jico SAS stylus. I will have to spend some hours playing many of my favorite records but I just wanted to share the great experience I had with this purchase and the amazing packing job Pete did with this precision Turntable! Kudos!

I was very relived to listen to your message on Friday night that it arrived safely, and that you have no regrets.  I've heard many people criticise that turntable, and it's nice to see someone that has another table be able to give a real opinion.  Bottom line to me is always, if it sounds good to you, then it's good.  We'll be taking soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, Fido said:

The turntable looks BRAND new and after quickly setting it up it sounds really good.

Awesome! Mine came frome a pawn shop, had been used by a dj who didn't take care to clean anything. Still, they cleaned up nice (there were two in a dj coffin case). Cartridges were pabably toast, missing stylii on the concorde style ends. I bought an Ortofon Red on a  mount... First day it didn't sound very good but it quickly changed for the good.

Dead silent when running. Everything works. Other than the cost of the cart, it ended up being free. (Sold the other table and cheap mixer for what I had paid).

Bruce

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Awesome! Mine came frome a pawn shop, had been used by a dj who didn't take care to clean anything. Still, they cleaned up nice (there were two in a dj coffin case). Cartridges were pabably toast, missing stylii on the concorde style ends. I bought an Ortofon Red on a  mount... First day it didn't sound very good but it quickly changed for the good.

Dead silent when running. Everything works. Other than the cost of the cart, it ended up being free. (Sold the other table and cheap mixer for what I had paid).

Bruce

I love it when I buy two and sell one and that pays for the one I keep!!!! Congrats - and yes it run silent and with the Shure Cartridge Pete had loaded sounds very very good to me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marvel said:

I rarely play any, but with some possible adhd, "just in case I want/need to". 🙄

Ever since I got my Node 2i and the Denefrips Pontus Dac I listen to Tidal much more often than spinning vinyl but when I want to play a record its nice to have a more than decent vinyl playback option and now I have the Technics and the Dual. and both sound great and are fun. I try and make sure everything I do is fun! as often as possible. 👏

• Like 1