Hello

First, sorry for my bad english (american) spoken.

I just received my Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers (after 3 months waiting time).

I plugged in my audio analogue maestro amplifier but I am very disappointed with the bass produced by this yet very strong amp.
The power supply does not seem to be involved (52 kg of transformers, capacitors, a double mono design, operation in class A up to 25 watts then switching to class AB afterwards).

In short, all this to ask, what amp would you advise me to move these Cornwall IVs?

It is also possible that a break-in period will be necessary before they begin to express themselves.

Thank you for any advice that allows me to get the best out of these speakers, which for the moment are leaving me unsatisfied.

• Like 1

I am also very disappointed with the defect observed on one of the front grilles: 3 small bumps probably due to an excessive mass of glue to hold the magnets of the grille or the magnets poorly positioned.
I asked my salesman, he told me that it would be replaced in several weeks (months) during the next manufacture of Cornwall by the Klipsch Company in Hope.

IMG_20201024_094818.jpg

• Like 2

Oh yeah, those grill defects would be a major no-go for me. I hope you get them sorted soon!

I’m sure more power would get you better bass but if it’s bass that you want, have you considered a subwoofer or two?

If your more of a traditional guy 2-channel type, I have two separate systems for this exact reason, I get it if you don’t want to add a sub. I get it.

But If it’s bass your lacking, why not add the speaker that was specifically designed to produce just that, bass?

Beautiful speakers by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, K5SS said:

I’m sure more power would get you better bass but if it’s bass that you want, have you considered a subwoofer or two?

The CWs have a sensitivity of 102dB. You can drive them with a 3.5Watt amp, if you choose to.

image.png.d319a6b7f95fceeadb54749348ce4f2d.png

The CWs are sold with the specific catch-phrase that they deliver excellent bass response, "the best of the best", so why should this new owner invest in a subwoofer?

Let's face the facts: the grille is faulty, and we can only guess what else is wrong with this speaker set. What happened at Klipsch Quality Control? My suggestion is that Klipsch Inc should do everything to get this right! And within a week, not in three months time!

From Klipsch.com

image.png.8f33a199657153a3183b03af17713e26.png

And:

image.thumb.png.4f0004430746d02cd4c04520e73e0031.png

First thing. They will get better with more hours. The bass will get stronger and more defined.

Secondly, it all depends on your expectations. For a lot of people, the CW IV will have all the bass they desire. And for about 90% of the time they do for me. But I added subs for that other 10% of the time. I run the cornwalls full range and bring the subs in around 35 Hz, very seamless and subtle, but adds when needed.

So give them around 100 hours and see what you think.

Shakey

I seem to be in agreement with others above.  I doubt your amp is the problem, or that a new amp is the solution.   I suggest the following:

1. Allow time for them to break in;
  2. Experiment with placement, corners work best;
  3. Continue to insist that Klipsch correct the grille defects; and
  4. Consider a subwoofer, or two, or three, or four.

In my opinion, every Klipsch Heritage speaker benefits from one, or more, good subwoofers; horn loaded are best.  That is not to say that subs are NEEDED.  Klipschorns and Cornwalls produce most of the bass available in recordings of music.  My “Supered”  HIPs produce bass rivaling Cornwalls in my small space.  Nevertheless, the use of four tapped horn subs flat to 25Hz powered by a pair of class D amps, provides that low bass impact unavailable without a sub.  The explosions and exaggerated bass available in games and movies have created false expectations of what natural bass is and what it sounds like.

People are amazed at how little perceptible sound comes from the four TH subs, but how much of a subjective difference it makes having them energized.  For example, the heartbeat at the beginning of DSOTM is fine and can be heard and felt without the subs.  Nonetheless, switching on the subs makes it sound better and can rattle the walls, windows, etc. at high volume.  Switch off the amp driving the HIPs and there is remarkably little perceptible information coming from the subs.

Welcome to the forum.  Enjoy your beautiful Cornwall IVs for many years to come.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

I am also very disappointed with the defect observed on one of the front grilles: 3 small bumps probably due to an excessive mass of glue to hold the magnets of the grille or the magnets poorly positioned.
I asked my salesman, he told me that it would be replaced in several weeks (months) during the next manufacture of Cornwall by the Klipsch Company in Hope.

this repair would require  removing the fabric solely on the top layer of the grille  with the help of a hair  dryer ( very carefully )   on the low setting to loosen the glue ,  and then the  repositioning of the magnets - this is under warranty so no worries ----you will get a replacement , but if they allow you to keep the defective grille , keep it as a spare  -since Grilles are quite expensive

• Like 1

I saw a YouTube video with a guy reviewing new Klipschorn AK6 (closed back) and complained about a the same thing. And from the look of those grills something went awry at quality control.

IMHO Klipsch make a mistake by making those grills project out from the front of the cabinet. Seems like an excellent way to tear and bruise the edges of the grill.

I know some here disagree about the need for using subwoofers with the large Heritage speakers. But, after having used Klipschorns for decades in a near optimal acoustically tuned room the addition of subwoofers (four 2x15) really made for a much more realistic listening experience - provided the recording has this kind of low frequency program material. Most LP do not because of acoustical-mechanical-tonearm/pickup resonance problems encountered for "most" people. On a lot of more recent recordings, even C&W stars like Emmy Lou Harris (Spyboy) have synthesizer sounds that go WAY DOWN.

• Like 2

Could there be the possibility that the woofers are out of phase (polarity is actually the correct term, although phase could also be correct... depending...).

I would expect the Cornwall IV to have very satisfying bass. How long have you been playing them? Couple of days, a week, etc.?

For the money you paid, they should be perfect.

Bruce

• Like 4

I received my CW IV 2 weeks ago. It is clear that they haven't had time to play much since I took them out of their boxes.

I mainly listen to CDs.
I'm not looking for huge bass but balanced bass that is not behind.

Even my JMLab electra 920 speakers (26 cm woofer) play better (but they are also older .. very older).
A long time ago I had onken speakers (big boxes with 15" altec 416 like woofers) with altec 1505 horns - 290/291 compressions and jbl 2405 tweeters in multi-amplification, there, it played really well but it was very bulky.

I thought I would find in these Cornwall speakers capable of reproducing the whole spectrum in a balanced way without taking the lead.
I also think it takes a little time to break them in.

Finally, it is possible that my listening room is too high.
I'll let some time pass and let the 15 inches soften.

For the grilles, it is true that I find it not cool for speakers at this price.
I would have preferred grills of the CW III type, prettier for my taste.

Good day to you on the other side of the planet.

Thank you for your welcome.

• Like 1

I just replaced RF7II with Cornwall IV and couldn’t be happier. They are incredible. Bass is fine, but I have two subs nonetheless as I use my system for music and movies. My speakers are not in a corner. The soundstage is awesome, especially the way vocals come from dead center when my center channel is not even playing. I’m super impressed. Hope you get yours sorted out. Might I suggest you get, if you don’t have it, the Sheffield Track record/cd which has some excellent bass.  That will tell you if you have an issue or not. 

Here’s my setup:

CA761A73-B9EF-4C27-AC05-822A32325603.jpeg

Edited by MDJAK
  • Like 1