1 hour ago, SpeedLimit said:

Thanks. I paid mine 1.6 Times more..

It's a good long-term investment and you have something quite unique. It will broaden your perspective - this forum is an example of just that - and that of the people around you. You can't put money on that. 

Yes, I'm happy to have my CW IVs even though it cost me quite a bit.

I'm just waiting for the moment when they start to play well.

For that I still need to find the best amp (in my financial possibilities), the cables that are fine, and give them time to "break in".

And then, I am very happy to have been able to join this forum, to meet the Klipsch community, the hardest part for me being to understand and speak your language.

Not easy every day for me. (luckily there is google translate to help me sometimes) 😀

Maybe it's just me, but this idea about break in seems a bit much to swallow in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I believe the bass drivers break in makes total sense. The more that flex material around the woofer moves, the more flexible or effortless it becomes over time. That seems almost common sense to me. What makes no sense to me are the tweeters and midrange. I can't fathom how a small diaphragm is going to change sound. It's such a small, low mass object. I think a lot of it is placebo. For example, complaints about the highs and mids get mentioned then someone is arguing about the bass breaking in. They're two different areas of break in. Klipsch heritage speakers are my favorite speakers. I absolutely love the way the present music. In my opinion if a listener finds the highs and mids a bit too bright, they can counter that with a solids state integrated amp. For example, the Yamaha S501 sounds more rolled off compared to any tubes I've listened to so far. It also has excellent bass, so maybe that's a better way to warm and smooth out the top end a bit. I think it's more important to match the amp to the speaker and that will have a far greater impact than break in.

18 minutes ago, angelaudio said:

Maybe it's just me, but this idea about break in seems a bit much to swallow in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I believe the bass drivers break in makes total sense. The more that flex material around the woofer moves, the more flexible or effortless it becomes over time. That seems almost common sense to me. What makes no sense to me are the tweeters and midrange. I can't fathom how a small diaphragm is going to change sound. It's such a small, low mass object. I think a lot of it is placebo. For example, complaints about the highs and mids get mentioned then someone is arguing about the bass breaking in. They're two different areas of break in. Klipsch heritage speakers are my favorite speakers. I absolutely love the way the present music. In my opinion if a listener finds the highs and mids a bit too bright, they can counter that with a solids state integrated amp. For example, the Yamaha S501 sounds more rolled off compared to any tubes I've listened to so far. It also has excellent bass, so maybe that's a better way to warm and smooth out the top end a bit. I think it's more important to match the amp to the speaker and that will have a far greater impact than break in.

While I do believe that tweeters and midranges break in, there may be another explanation.

If a speaker is bass shy, the sound is tilted towards the top end. It could be perceived as "bright" due to the imbalance. It goes the other way too. I have heard speakers with rolled off treble, or missing tweeters completely that make the bass sound prominent and overpowering. Balance things out and all returns to normal.

Shakey

• Like 2

Sometimes when we hear sound quality improve in a speaker over time, it could also be attributed to the crossover components breaking in as well. They are, after all, electrical in nature and can change in time when current passes through them. Although some here will say that is preposterous too...........

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2020 at 6:11 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Sometimes when we hear sound quality improve in a speaker over time, it could also be attributed to the crossover components breaking in as well. They are, after all, electrical in nature and can change in time when current passes through them. Although some here will say that is preposterous too...........

Shakey

Has anyone plotted freq response, SPL, etc. of a speaker when it's brand new, and after it's been "broken in" and compared the graphs?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fmalloy said:

Has anyone plotted freq response, SPL, etc. of a speaker when it's brand new, and after it's been "broken in" and compared the graphs?

Don't know and don't care.

Back in the mid 90s I bought a pair of Von Schweikert VR4 Silver loudspeakers. This was a very expensive purchase for me at the time and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Out of the box the sound was nothing like I had heard in the dealer's showroom or at the Hi-Fi 96 show earlier that year. I was ready to pack them up and take them right back where I got them.

I wired them out of phase, faced them at each other, put on some loud music and walked away. I didn't even listen to them for a couple of hundred hours. Dramatic difference, and more improvement up to the 400 hour mark. It was so dramatic that if you heard what I heard, you'd never ask for another measurement again.

I kept those speakers for about 4 years, which is about two lifetimes in my world. Trust your ears...........

Shakey

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, John Ek said:

I’m considering the Cornwall IV, can’t find a dealer nearby where I can listen to it (I’m in Scandinavia).Do you have any news on the development, has bass improved? 

Hi,

Search here :

https://www.klipsch.com/dealers

Where in Scandinavia ? Sweden, Norway, Denmark ?