• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
59 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

hello ... two days ago, I ordered an McIntosh MA7200 amplifier for my CW IV ..  Am I right ?

Others can say yet, over the time here can say a popular unit. Can say yes, think so.

Will be worth a review here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

hello ... two days ago, I ordered an McIntosh MA7200 amplifier for my CW IV ..  Am I right ?

sure you're right , no tubes to mess with ,   lots of clean SS  200wpc    hahaha    :D,  most  tube guys  brag about their 2 and 5 watts amps   .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 5:14 PM, OO1 said:

sure you're right , no tubes to mess with ,   lots of clean SS  200wpc    hahaha    :D,  most  tube guys  brag about their 2 and 5 watts amps   .

Anyone here who owns speakers with an efficiency of more than 98 db (that's most of you) is fooling themselves with 200 wpc SS amps. Not only do they not need that much power, they are missing out on better sounding amps by choosing that path.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Anyone here who owns speakers with an efficiency of more than 98 db (that's most of you) is fooling themselves with 200 wpc SS amps. Not only do they not need that much power, they are missing out on better sounding amps by choosing that path.

It's about reserve power for TRANSIENTS

Some many flea Power amps fall on thier face with heavy kick drum

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

It's about reserve power for TRANSIENTS

Some many flea Power amps fall on thier face with heavy kick drum

Spinner we have been down this road recently and you still persist in saying this with nothing backing up your statement as I told you Nelson Pass has done in his laboratory. Again Nelson has a scope set up showing a 1 watt widow with the signal never getting out to that window with 95db speakers with people telling him to turn it down. At the time you claimed to have a scope and I will assume a generator as well if you do any audio work at all with me telling you how to do the test yourself. It annoys me that you think you know more than Nelson and perhaps you do but you need to state your credentials and the test you have performed along with the flea amps you have in your possession before you post this again or I am going to call this misinformation turning members away from trying some of the excellent flea amps as the Decware Zen with our speakers. Just this week I replaced my 150 watt SS amp with the Decware Zen and it sound much much better with more power than I would ever use. Just facts and I posses many flea watt tube amps along with 20 or more SS and tube amps in my house to compare them with. I also have an electronic lab in my house as well.

Look, I am on this forum to make friends and I hope you do not take this post wrong but facts speak louder than empty words. I could claim my old 70's Bose 901's with the Decware Zen sound better than the new Jubilees but that does not make it true. All I am trying to say is you are going to have to prove to me you know than the master Nelson Pass. I know for a fact you are wrong with as well as the other SET tube lovers on this forum.  

Paul Klipsch filled auditoriums with sound with 5 watt amplifiers as well before there was any SS amps. Five tube watts with Klipsch speaker are more than enough. Just fact and not empty words. 

You can have great sound quality in a 200 watt amplifier and there is nothing wrong with buying such an amp. But to say you need that much power with 100db speakers is just not true. I have experimented with conventional full range 95db speakers and have found a 2 watt amplifier more than adequate for them as well. It really bothers me to hurt someone's feelings but my intention is to tell the truth that I know to be true. This is not a disagreement but reality, just a few good clean watts is all our speakers need. Especially in a tube amplifier. In a SS amplifier I have found a few more watts is desirable if one wants to get crazy with volume knob at times. I will say 10 watts of SS of being plenty. When I first read of our tube guru, tubefanatic, building less than 1 watt amplifiers I thought it was nuts. Everyone knows you need 100watts right. I learned from experience just how a few watts is plenty from experience and not from what one reads and repeats on a forum. It is true one gets better bass with a really good SS amplifier at just one watt vs a tube amplifier at one watt but it is the design difference and not the power making it so. That said a well designed SET tube amp has great bass it is just that a SS can be somewhat better in the bass department. Damping factor playing a big part controlling a big bass speaker. 

Do someone know the damping factor of a McIntosh MA7200 ?

i wanted this kind of amp because they have output transtormers

I also have 300B valve amp, sounds good but not in the bass section.

I have a french EL34 PP valve amp, sound a little better in the bass.

I know that speakers with high efficiency do not need much power .. all of my amps sounds differently.

Now, i just wanted to try a McIntosh amp .. Have i made a bad thing by ordering such an amp ?

13 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

I also have 300B valve amp, sounds good but not in the bass section.

I have a french EL34 PP valve amp, sound a little better in the bass.

I know that speakers with high efficiency do not need much power .. all of my amps sounds differently.

Now, i just wanted to try a McIntosh amp .. Have i made a bad thing by ordering such an amp ?

I don't know this type of Mcintosh amp personally, but I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong. Worst case scenario, you have a major brand amp that sells well over and over again. But more importantly, I think it will sound very good with your Cornwalls. I recently bought an old quad 606, just a little less power than your Mcintosh MA7200, but also a very powerful amp. It runs fantastic with my 1977 Lascala and also with the underground Junilee. With your Cornwall as a big bass reflex box, the control ability of the MA7200 also should have a positive effect. You can't say that a small tube amp is always better or that a powerful transistor is always better. It is the synergy of all components in every single case plus the room and your personal taste. Your MA7200 has to my knowledge even output transformers. Be confident and look forward to the amp. And take your time to get used to it. I am very curious about your impressions. You have done nothing wrong with this amp I believe. Enjoy it.

• Like 2

Manual says 40 over a wide band which is fine in the real world.

Here is the manual:  ma7200om01.pdf

Page from manual showing damping:

IMG_5055.thumb.jpeg.c20598591a33b5efa95443ebaa16b79d.jpeg

As KT88 said I believe you might find you love this combination with your Cornwalls..

I also like that Tone Control is available for less than ideal recordings and sometimes helpful in less than ideal room/setup limitations.

miketn

• Like 1