My KLF30s have scratches on them how can I fix it satin black Finnish

Zachk0

Hello there,

My KG1.5s looked just the same, scratches all over. In the end, i decided to strip the paint off. I used acetone and steel-wool to get rid of the black stuff. Here´s my thread:

Once You stripped the old paint, you can decide wether you want to oil, stain or just repaint them. I found that i only had to do minimal sanding. I´m happy with the result.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, AndreG. said:

Hello there,

My KG1.5s looked just the same, scratches all over. In the end, i decided to strip the paint off. I used acetone and steel-wool to get rid of the black stuff. Here´s my thread:

Once You stripped the old paint, you can decide wether you want to oil, stain or just repaint them. I found that i only had to do minimal sanding. I´m happy with the result.

I have stripped a black academy and sw12 sub with good results. If you look at the pic above notice how the grain stands out because of the old paint. Imho the highlight looks great when oiled or polyurethaned. 

You can try steel wool or sand paper but you still have to match the paint. In my experience this is hard to do without redoing the entire cabinet.

1 hour ago, Zachk0 said:

Zack

option 1)-   find an orbital sander , and use 200 grit ,  tape the edges -it will very  lightly sand  ,  clean the surface ,   then , tape the sides with newspaper , use " satin black "  spray paint  in a left to right motion  -

option 2)-  use a Mohawk black  3 in 1 repair stick ---apply on the scratches

option 3)-  KIWI shoe wax Black and a black sharpie pen ,  1st  use the sharpie pen to color the scratches black  , then 2nd  ,  cover up the  scratches with shoe wax , rub it in  deeply ,  , then polish with a cotton rag -

option 4) -buy a rubber mat ,   cut it , and cover the top -

-  Always remove any object on top of the speakers as these can scratch or dent the wood surface if they fall over -

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Zack

option 1)-   find an orbital sander , and use 200 grit ,  tape the edges -it will very  lightly sand  ,  clean the surface ,   then , tape the sides with newspaper , use " satin black "  spray paint  in a left to right motion  -

option 2)-  use a Mohawk black  3 in 1 repair stick ---apply on the scratches

option 3)-  KIWI shoe wax Black and a black sharpie pen ,  1st  use the sharpie pen to color the scratches black  , then 2nd  ,  cover up the  scratches with shoe wax , rub it in  deeply ,  , then polish with a cotton rag -

option 4) -buy a rubber mat ,   cut it , and cover the top -

-  Always remove any object on top of the speakers as these can scratch or dent the wood surface if they fall over -

thank you so much Randy I appreciate it gonna try option two the rubber mat idea is kind a cool I remember I used to have a few picture on top of the towers they rattled off when one day was listening to music and fell haven’t put them back up there since

my lamps sometimes vibrate a little bit but they have a rubber bottom

• Like 2

My LaScalla II's were demos and had some light scratches. I used a fine black Sharpie marker and just took my time touching them up. Only time I can notice is in direct sunlight(which I seldome have the blinds open) and at just the right angle. I say go the sharpie way first, you can always sand and re-paint if you feel it needs it after.

• Like 2

I have a pair of Chorus 2s with the exact same finish that were so beat I figured I had nothing to lose with the “Sharpie trick”.

They looked like a worn out picnic table top. You could see more wood than black stain.

Over the years I learned if you smudge it a bit after application it really blends nicely. No shiny purple-ish tinge.

But I took it one step further and rubbed (read apply elbow grease) Minwax Antique Oil into the entire side on these and the results were incredible. The Antique Oil is a solvent and blends it evenly and leaves it looking brand new.

I used a big fat Pilot marker instead of a Sharpie. It also works amazing for faded woofer dustcaps  (do both speakers at the same time).

Of course I started on the back of one of the risers first to test it...

I can’t find the picture I posted in another thread, but these are the tops right now, two years later.

DA6849C0-FFAE-42CB-B58D-AEDBD3182E32.jpeg

• Like 2

I've used the Sharpie trick with good success.   I pushed it into the scratch so it was completely covered with ink.  The finish was still glossy enough that I could immediately wipe the sharpie off the top edges of the scratch.  You couldn't tell that what I'd done... from close up it just looked like a dark scratch that I could barely see. 

• Like 1