Does this look like an ok starter turntable?

wuzzzer

Looks nice. These vintage tts are amazing, compared to today's entry level turntables. You'd have to pay at least 500 dollars to get comparable quality. 

It is a direct drive, so no belt to replace, but you should check the bearings for sound and engine for speed. 

Check this: 

• Like 2

Looks good.  An issue is the condition of the cartridge and stylus.  But even at the seller's price the budget should have funds left over for a replacement.  OTOH it appears to have had TLC and those are not particulaly wear items.

WMcD

• Like 2

Sony made great tt's. Price-wise It's a no brainer if the bearing isn't worn.  Use synthetic motor oil to oil the bearing when you get it home.The cart is probably ok. I would change the stylus (needle) or you can simply buy a new cheap replacement cart. A bad needle will harm you records so that's a must. Also it probably needs a fairly high compliance cart.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/745728549310315/

I offered $40, seller is firm at $50.  Never had a turntable before.  My receiver has a phono input.  I have a handful of records that I bought over the years that I'd love to listen to. 

100%  ----------in a heartbeat , the headshell alone is worth 50$

Well, guy gave me his address.  I went there Saturday, could hear loud music playing.  Rang the doorbell a few times, knocked loudly.  Messaged him on FB that I was there with the $$.  No answer.  So, I went home and about an hour later he messaged me apologizing saying he was at a store nearby and didn't see my message.

So, I messaged him on FB this morning and said I'd be out running errands after lunch and could pick it up if he was home.  Haven't heard from him since.  😕

• Confused 1

Eh, hit him again and try to pin him down.  If it spins and isn't too noisy its a good starter for the money.  Audition it naturally and if it sounds good pay the dude.  Not sure if you can get an Empire stylus or not anymore.  If you can just replace the stylus if not but a new cart.  He prolly wants to sell it but who knows w/ppl anymore.  I picked up an older oppo from a guy for $50 and he was happy to sell it.  Heck, I was happy to get it!  Possibly a jerk though.  Sort it brother and go.  They're out there.