Cornscala horn question

mopardave

A lot of chefs involved now.

I will bow out.

I will say the ALK crossover uses a swamping resistor, so basically doesn't care what impedance mid range is used, and therefore should not change the crossover point.

My only thought was maybe the crossover was wired wrong. I have done it,  everyone makes an error from time to time.

HB.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Honeybadger said:

A lot of chefs involved now.

I will bow out.

I will say the ALK crossover uses a swamping resistor, so basically doesn't care what impedance mid range is used, and therefore should not change the crossover point.

My only thought was maybe the crossover was wired wrong. I have done it,  everyone makes an error from time to time.

HB.

Honeybadger,  i think you are correct as i have read before that the universals do use the swamping resistor.   Thanks

Dave, I've still got that pair of Crites cast woofers laying around, plus I have that pair of DeanG crossovers I'm not using at this time. I'm so far behind on my build, it may take me all winter to get them done. Your welcome to come pick them up if you want to do some swapping. The crossovers are 400, 6000, so I don't know if they would work right if you are crossing over at 500, but it would tell you right away how the mids and highs are acting.-kevin

Something is not right, and its not your horn. My mid horns are huge, and they are tractrix, and I have them attenuated at -12 db. K-55 in a K-Horn are attenuated at -6 I believe, so 2" drivers should play a lot louder. I have a pair of Selenium D-405 mid drivers you can borrow to see if its the mid drivers causing your problem. They are 2" exit drivers, and weigh 20 lbs apiece.

1 hour ago, kevinmi said:

Something is not right, and its not your horn. My mid horns are huge, and they are tractrix, and I have them attenuated at -12 db. K-55 in a K-Horn are attenuated at -6 I believe, so 2" drivers should play a lot louder. I have a pair of Selenium D-405 mid drivers you can borrow to see if its the mid drivers causing your problem. They are 2" exit drivers, and weigh 20 lbs apiece.

I figured you had those mounted by now.   I will come over and get those.  Dont think ill have time this weekend, but i will next.   Ill give ya a call as soon as i get a chance.  Thanks

On 10/29/2020 at 8:31 PM, mopardave said:

No, the cornwalls has k77 k57 and k33 with a b crossover.   All components are new to this cabinet.

got it now - I thought you simply moved everything over , except the new woofers -

On 10/30/2020 at 8:57 PM, mopardave said:

I figured you had those mounted by now.   I will come over and get those.  Dont think ill have time this weekend, but i will next.   Ill give ya a call as soon as i get a chance.  Thanks

Sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 5:31 PM, mopardave said:

Since building my Cornscala's which were a Cornwall conversion I'm not liking  them much.  They sound way laid back compared to the 600 in your face mid horn.  Have any of you using the large mid horns noticed this with the Cornscala?  Using the zxpc horn with a B&C85. Seems like i have to turn the volume up much further than my Cornwalls or Super Heresy require. Not near as efficient as a typical Klipsch Heritage. Not sure if this is typical of the large mid horn or not.  Other thing is using a ALK CSW cross over adjusted  to my liking, but still laid back.    Maybe the cross over is the culprit or the DE85?

OK, kevinmi lent me a Deang universal xover and a crites woofer to try.  The improvement was very nice and very noticable.  Just a much cleaner sound from the vocals to the cymbals.  The crites woofer did play deeper than my 3015lf, but the Deang's were attenuated 1 db more (12 vs 11) CSW. I prefer my 3015lf for now.  They still sounded laid back, but it must be the large mid horn. They beg to be turned up.   So, i need to find some new xovers or build my own.   The Deang xover are very nice piece.  Thank you Kevin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mopardave said:

OK, kevinmi lent me a Deang universal xover  So, i need to find some new xovers or build my own.   The Deang xover are very nice piece.  Thank you Kevin.

Yeah , Dean , just does not compromise  on quality  -----do you have pictures you can share of these  crossovers --

• 3 months later...

I am running that horn on top of my chorus II's ( 17 by 10 bi- radial horn ). Runs straight off my crites rebuild crossover with k79 tweeter, crites ti upgrade. Have tried ev dh1a and selenium d408 ti drivers, currently run a clarion 5.25 cone speaker. No problem with volume on any of the drivers just like the sound of the clarion best.

Have a pair of cf2's and the chorus's easily outperform them, same volume chorus much louder spl.