Cornscala horn question

mopardave

4 minutes ago, Lbk said:

I am running that horn on top of my chorus II's ( 17 by 10 bi- radial horn ). Runs straight off my crites rebuild crossover with k79 tweeter, crites ti upgrade. Have tried ev dh1a and selenium d408 ti drivers, currently run a clarion 5.25 cone speaker. No problem with volume on any of the drivers just like the sound of the clarion best.

Have a pair of cf2's and the chorus's easily outperform them, same volume chorus much louder spl.

What is this clarion 5.25 and what adapter did you use to mount the clarion to the horn?
Stock (rebuilt) chorus crossovers?

1 hour ago, Madman1 said:

What is this clarion 5.25 and what adapter did you use to mount the clarion to the horn?
Stock (rebuilt) chorus crossovers?

The crossovers are stock but rebuilt with crites cap. kit by me. Conventional 5.25 speaker (clarion  car audio). I used a piece of plywood mounted to the horn and speaker mount to plywood with a 2 inch opening. This was my first experiment into a 2 inch horn, really like it. Never had a problem with volume on that horn with any of the drivers I used.

Khornukopia has use both the 17 by 10 and 18 by 11on khorns iirc. He has a thread but don't remember the post, maybe he could help more than me. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, geoff. said:

Just to clarify, the ALK CSW crossover you are using now is NOT an “off the shelf” unit? The stock unit would be for a 16 ohm mid.

Yours was designed and built specifically for an 8 ohm squawker?

If not, you are crossing the woofer at over 1000 hz, and would have a hole in the response. I don’t know about a 25 db hole, but it would be significantly quieter. And lacking everything Klipsch about it.

Having said that, I did experience a similar presentation with my Cornscala builds. Far more neutral, detailed and present, but missing the bite of a Cornwall. Not unlike a Chorus 2.

It is almost as if an exponential mid-horn is a requirement for “in your face” sound.

You also say your mids are adjusted 11 db down?

I think I read in another post mids 5 db above the LF section gives good results. So if your woofer is maybe 98 db and your mid is 108, you could try only 5 or 6 db of attenuation on the mids. If the crossover was in fact designed for an 8 ohm squawker. 

I also found that, all things being equal, the large tractrix “type” horns have a “kinder, gentler, machine-gun hand”, they are not as forward as what we have come to expect from a Cornwall, or a Heresy.

I am following this thread pretty close now. That mid horn in your build, actually all the components in your build, should yield some pretty spectacular results once you get it dialed in!

Some how i missed this post.  I once again have Kevin's DeanG universals in and they sound fantastic.  I have them attenuated at 10db on the mid and 3db on the tweet.  The mid is still a bit laid back, but i will try attenuated them 5db higher than the woofer just to see.  Thanks geoff.

That network doesn’t care if it’s a 16 ohm driver or an 8 ohm driver - that’s the purpose of the swamping resistor. However, it does change the perceived level of attenuation. The crossover probably shfts, but only a little. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, geoff. said:

Just to clarify, the ALK CSW crossover you are using now is NOT an “off the shelf” unit? The stock unit would be for a 16 ohm mid.

Yours was designed and built specifically for an 8 ohm squawker?

If not, you are crossing the woofer at over 1000 hz, and would have a hole in the response. I don’t know about a 25 db hole, but it would be significantly quieter. And lacking everything Klipsch about it.

Having said that, I did experience a similar presentation with my Cornscala builds. Far more neutral, detailed and present, but missing the bite of a Cornwall. Not unlike a Chorus 2.

It is almost as if an exponential mid-horn is a requirement for “in your face” sound.

You also say your mids are adjusted 11 db down?

I think I read in another post mids 5 db above the LF section gives good results. So if your woofer is maybe 98 db and your mid is 108, you could try only 5 or 6 db of attenuation on the mids. If the crossover was in fact designed for an 8 ohm squawker. 

I also found that, all things being equal, the large tractrix “type” horns have a “kinder, gentler, machine-gun hand”, they are not as forward as what we have come to expect from a Cornwall, or a Heresy.

I am following this thread pretty close now. That mid horn in your build, actually all the components in your build, should yield some pretty spectacular results once you get it dialed in!

Just an update, I have the mid attenuated at 9 and the tweets at 0.  This has been the best setting i have found as of now on the Cornscala.  Will be moving them to a much larger room soon(10x10 to 16x24), will see how that goes.  

8 minutes ago, mopardave said:

Just an update, I have the mid attenuated at 9 and the tweets at 0.  This has been the best setting i have found as of now on the Cornscala.  Will be moving them to a much larger room soon(10x10 to 16x24), will see how that goes.  

great news -