Have you moved to Dolby Atmos?

Zen Traveler

How many have made the move to Dolby Atmos?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How many have made the move to Dolby Atmos?

• I have!
    • I'm still enjoying the other codex. :)
    • I'm waiting for my processor to go kaput before I do.
    • I tried it and it wasn't for me.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/15/20 at 06:05 AM

Yes 

first try was a pair of RP-140sa on top of my two fronts and 

what a let down that was . 
I should have known better honestly . 
so I purchased 2x-CDT-3800-cii 

speakera and I’m installing them Saturday . I will post what I think when I’m done 

3 hours ago, MIKEPP said:

Yes 

first try was a pair of RP-140sa on top of my two fronts and 

what a let down that was . 
I should have known better honestly . 

I thought those were a good option? Right now I have RB-5IIs as heights in a Dolby PLIIz configuration but thought about converting them to Front Heights in an Atmos HT...I would add two more directly above the MLP which has a sweet spot for 3 people, 2 sitting comfortably. Otoh, I was considering putting the RP-140s on top of the RF-7s to see how they compare.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, RandyH000 said:

I would crave to experience Atmos  in a Theatre , cinema etc -----to the same degree as an IMAX  theatre -

Ha! I have NO desire to be in a theater for a myriad of reasons and still love how my system sounds on a nightly basis. :) That said, I don't watch near as many movies (Youtube travel has me distracted) but still listen and watch alot of Multichannel music-Last night was INXS video collection on DVD in DTS and it sounded awesome being converted to 9.2!

• Like 1

I had 7.1 in my theater build, but with the current viewing room, I went with 5.1.  I did in-walls for the rear and made the mantle a center channel speaker, in attempts to hide everything.  I do not have the desire to litter my ceiling with speakers, nor the added equipment.  I mostly enjoy music anyway, which is just 2.1 for me.  :)

I'll never 'upgrade' to Atmos.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yamahaSHO said:

I do not have the desire to litter my ceiling with speakers, nor the added equipment. 

I gotta admit the size and quantity of my speakers is noticeable and the only hiding I can do is keep the grills on--Otoh, in the dark you don't even notice the speakers and are trapped inside the movie. :)  

My theater these days is the living room, so keeping it cleans is desirable.  The wife hasn't given any grief with La Scalas and a large sub, so I'm good with that.

Plus, making it really dark isn't particularly easy here...  There are 5 more windows on the opposite side.  We have blinds and curtains now, but there is still plenty of light.

29075221033_3654854859_h.jpg

These windows aren't small:

25338184189_60830ebd09_h.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/26/2020 at 10:21 AM, stoka said:

I'm still stuck with my Harman 7550HD.

As soon as I find an AVR or PRE/PRO in a "normal" pricerange, I would love to switch.

The closest one was the Lexicon RV-6, but as the Loudness (Dolby Volume) isn't usable together with Dirac, it was also not a real option for me.

And I need some sort of Loudness, as I'm living in an apartment with my family. That means no dedicated room for the home-cinema what results in

different listening levels, depending on the daily situation.

With Dirac in the RV-6 I could adjust the sound how I like it for just a short volume range.

That means, if everything was fine on low volumes, then on higher volumes it was just too much bass and reversed if I adjusted it for louder levels.

That's where a parametric loudness is very usable...

I know what you mean.  My 2005 Yamaha RX-V750 has a Night button, which cuts down the dynamic range.  This means that you can watch movies late at night and have the dialogue set loud enough, but the explosions are not at their full "daytime" volume.

That receiver is now driving the bedroom HT, but I very rarely watch movies in bed.  My mattress is really old, so when I get a new one, I may go for one of those motorized beds, in which case I could be comfortable for a whole movie.

Anyway, the current living room (main system) is driven by a 2016 RX-A2060, which is a significant upgrade.  However, it has no Night button.  There is a an Extra Bass button, which does what you describe your RV-6 doing.  It has the effect of a Loudness button, boosting the bass, and to a lesser extent, the treble.  I assume that this is in accordance with the Fletcher-Munson curves.  To finally get to the point, the Extra Bass button is suitable for listening at very low volume, but provides way too much bass at normal listening levels.  So yes, a parametric Loudness control would be great, but the current arrangement works fine for normal volume listening, and the EB button provides an ideal sound balance for low volume listening.  The current arrangement is not what I was used to, but it works just fine.  It would be nicer if there was one button to do it, instead of needing to go into a menu system, but there extra 10-15 seconds to access the control is not that onerous.

This is a pretty sophisticated AVR, so if I ever take the time to explore all the options it offers, I may find something that suits me even better, but this is fine for now.

• Like 1

@Islander

You got it, that's what I meant. I believe you, that you're really happy with your Yamaha.

Bevor my Harman 7550HD I had a Yamaha RX-A1050 and was also very pleased with it. When I compared it to the Harman, the Harman had a for me much more pleasant deep end.

The sound was much "fuller and bigger" on the deep end. The Yamaha was on the other hand more detailed for things like small effects in movies, which you better remark with the Yamaha.

At the end I stuck with the Harman, but when the day comes, that I will really have to replace it, I think a Yamaha will be one of my options.

Just next to Marantz, where I'm really wondering how the Auro up-mixer sounds compared to Logic7, which I use now for everything.

I currently have a 7.2.2 system with my Denon AVRx4500h doing the processing and powering the two ceiling speakers, the other speakers are powered by my Outlaw 7x125.  I really like it with a high quality, well produced signal like blu-rays and some steaming...

I hate it when my Denon processes a 5.1 or 7.1 signal into Atmos. This seems to be the default setting and I always have to hit the “Pure” bottom to get back to the original signal.

I just changed my system to four Forte ii’s and a KLF c-7. I’m going to upgrade all of the tweeters to the Crites titanium and likely also do the crossovers. I’m keeping an eye out for another reasonable priced pair of black Forte ii’s or Heresy’s for my rear surrounds. 

Edited by dkpack99

On 11/9/2020 at 8:31 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I thought those were a good option? Right now I have RB-5IIs as heights in a Dolby PLIIz configuration but thought about converting them to Front Heights in an Atmos HT...I would add two more directly above the MLP which has a sweet spot for 3 people, 2 sitting comfortably. Otoh, I was considering putting the RP-140s on top of the RF-7s to see how they compare.

YEAH , For me it was very sad .. i did not like it so i pulled trigger on 2x CDT-3800-cii 8" down firing speakers .../ i installed them last night and before i started the audyssey setup . I had San Andreas in the Blu-ray player and at the scene when his ex wife was in restaurant The building was falling down i was standing under the right side atmos speaker and it scared the hell out of me with the sound of broken glass . Night and day different than the add ons ... i strongly do not recommend  the add ons .. Unless you have some laying around... 

Thank you for everyone that responded! I'm surprised the Home Theater section hasn't had too much traffic given the newer formats getting more mainstream.....I also wonder how many people are buying sound bars for Home Theater compared to HT speaker systems. That said, I have RB-5IIs I am using as Heights in a Dolby PLIIz configuration and would move those to "Front Heights," along with putting 2 speakers directly above the MLP in a 7.2.4 configuration when I upgrade (or my AVR-4311ci breaks).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ha! I started this poll prior to Covid-19 and wonder how the dynamics have changed or stayed the same.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:52 AM, Zen Traveler said:

The upconversion of multichannel music using DSU is what intrigues me the most given how good the results are in our 9.2 HT using Dolby PLIIz. 

I still think the above is where I would gain most by going Atmos and would like to see anyone else who listens to multichannel music opinion who made the jump.

On 10/26/2020 at 4:59 PM, Zen Traveler said:

I purchased our Denon AVR-4311ci about 8 or 9 years ago when it was discontinued at a good price. I actually can't justify spending any money right now (given I have several AVRs including the one mentioned) and will only upgrade when it goes bites the dust. When I do I'll probably go with a recently discontinued upperend Denon as well.

Denon AVR-4311ci still going strong!

On 11/19/2020 at 6:39 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Thank you for everyone that responded! I'm surprised the Home Theater section hasn't had too much traffic given the newer formats getting more mainstream.....I also wonder how many people are buying sound bars for Home Theater compared to HT speaker systems. 

Fwiw, I still am surprised at the lack of traffic in the Home Theater section and bet more people are buying sound bars instead of multichannel configurations. Otoh, there may be a resurgence of people listening/buying speakers for 2-channel but I wonder how that affects speaker sales in the long run.  

On 11/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, yamahaSHO said:

My theater these days...

25338184189_60830ebd09_h.jpg

What curtains are those? Are they HT curtains?

I need new curtains so I am looking for dedicated HT sound absorbing curtains.

20 minutes ago, Schu said:

What curtains are those? Are they HT curtains?

I need new curtains so I am looking for dedicated HT sound absorbing curtains.

My wife made them, though she pieced them together from several different 'black out' curtains she bought.  I can ask her for a link.

EDIT:  Here you go - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015KMICNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fbclid=IwAR3aNnA1V_KvxXpnjLIYjzF4rpidzTzGirUG2wKGsaNKPLuR4pJgMRs8bQ4 

I'm still doing five Cornwalls and two JBL professional theater cabs (each 15" twin woofers)......in fact, doing a refurbishment of that system pretty much across the board, save for the woofer cabs and the display itself. I find that the "universality" of the 5.1 concept is sufficient to keep it as a long term multimedia room strategy, just like any "stereo" system would have two speakers. Cable/sat providers broadcast in 5.1, and that's really about as universal as it gets in video formats generally, which makes it worth the investment.

I'm not even all that much of a movie buff anymore (save for what is falling into the realm of "classic film") but when one combines concerts on video with broadcast and other occasional multichannel music stuff it becomes enough to justify doing a 5.1 system well. Despite the lack of interest in recent Hollywood I still can't justify getting rid of it, as I had a number tell me "why not just do 3.1, etc....." WRT this rebuild. I suppose that lack of interest in newer releases contributes to a lack of interest in Atmos/etc but I really don't think I would do it even if a greater interest in new releases were the case. I just can't see myself planting Heresys in the ceiling, which is what it would likely take to "do it right" in my own mind, anyway........

• Like 1

I wish the survey had at least one more option: I like it, but haven't done it yet. I like the RP 500 sa as something that would sit on top of the towers and project sound off the ceiling. (I wish those would go on sale like the r41sa has.) However, my HT room and ceiling has odd dimensions. It is a new room, not quite finished-like I still need to mount the TV, etc. Do you think it is OK to bounce sound off of 2 different ceiling angles? 

PXL_20210706_153011832.jpg