Dac’s?

JoeJoeThe3rd

Really enjoying this thread as I am curious about other DAC options. I do need to consider MQA as I use Tidal. Things being what they are I am limited in my ability to purchase the more expensive DACs so looking more for good price/performance. Thanks for all the info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 4:14 PM, MyOwn said:

Mac Mini to W4S music server to W4S DAC to W4S mAmps, Out a pair of RF-7ii's

Just moved to the W4S music server....

It sounds really really really good to me.

to me to... thru Heritage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While we're on the subject of mqa dacs I posted in another thread about making a cheap streamer using a Raspberry Pi and a Dragonfly and how I failed in my attempt because the Dragonfly is not a full hardware mqa "decoder" just a "renderer". Well I'm going to try once more this time using the  new Khadas Tone2 Pro Dac and headphone amp that just came out recently. It's 200 dollars and does full hardware decoding of mqa. It should arrive on Sunday from Amazon and we shall see how it goes.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of DACS, just got this one the other day off Ebay.     An SMSL SU-8-V2.   I have not read of it doing MQA, but when I'm playing MQA music streams on Tidal,  the Dac shows 96kh in its little window,  so I assume it does.  So far, so good.  A couple of reviews.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/  

19 hours ago, Shiva said:

I have not read of it doing MQA, but when I'm playing MQA music streams on Tidal,  the Dac shows 96kh in its little window,  so I assume it does.

If a product is MQA capable I'm sure the manufacturer will say so.

They must pay a licensing fee to Meridian Audio to include it in their products. They are not about to keep that a secret.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 3:21 PM, Shiva said:

Speaking of DACS, just got this one the other day off Ebay.     An SMSL SU-8-V2.   I have not read of it doing MQA, but when I'm playing MQA music streams on Tidal,  the Dac shows 96kh in its little window,  so I assume it does.  So far, so good.  A couple of reviews.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-8-version-2-balanced-dac.5433/  

I also have this DAC. It is not MQA-compatible, but it is a very fine DAC nonetheless, especially at its reasonable price. In trying different filter settings and sound settings, I’ve found a combination that works very well in producing a very natural sound through my system. 

I’ve tried balanced (XLR) and single ended (RCA) outputs and both are great with the balanced outputs sounding best. I am very pleased with the construction of this DAC with its robust power supply and quality components. The chassis is a weighty machined Aluminum enclosure. 

For streaming, I use a Raspberry Pi 4 in a silent fan-cooled Vilros die-cast Aluminum enclosure running Volumio with a Tidal subscription, and my personal music collection on a LaCie USB 3.0 hard drive. 

6411E97B-A6C5-42CA-A459-DD81F0806D83.thumb.jpeg.b042101c9ad458f77abdb2a0409bf556.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...