Jump to content

Dac’s?


JoeJoeThe3rd
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there anyone here that has some rf7iii or just some klipsch speakers that know a good dac that’s matches up with them well or just a dac I’m general that is of decent to high caliber quality? I’m looking for a nice good dac that’s of high quality that will give me better sound quality than the dac on my anthem mrx720 that is also mqa compatible that will unfold the mqa Giles so I can get the beat quality out of them. Thanks 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Time for some UK Lockdown testing! We are all locked down for four weeks now and possibly longer.... So what better time to have a listen and make possible additions 😃

 

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC

Chord Hugo M Scaler Upsampling Digital Processor

Benchmark DAC3

Topping D30 DAC

Ideon 3R Master Time USB Re-Clocker

InnuOs Phoenix USB Re-Clocker

 

All will be playing through my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amplifier, Lampizator Amber 3 DAC and Klipsch Forte III Speakers.

 

I'll be posting my thoughts soon on the combinations

 

 

20201004_174701.jpg

20201004_131807.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

very nice.... you have your work cut out for yourself. compare the Hugo with and without the M scaler... I would be interested in knowing if you think there is REALLY more there than merely more output or filter processing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JoeJoe

 

I have read nothing but good things about the Topping D90 MQA.  There are two D90 versions.  The non MQA @$699 and the MQA @$799.  Unfortunately, these are seldom discounted and seldom seen on the secondary market.  The Topping is on my wish list.  My current listening is generally 70% Tidal HD streaming and 30% vinyl.  My current DAC is Arcam irDac, which I have had for a few years.  The irDac is not MQA compatible.  However I do have an Aurender N100h which does a partial MQA unfold.  I am extremely happy and often shocked with what I end up hearing at my ear drums. (Using Primaluna Prologue Premium integrated amp and Forte iiis)  

Edited by tivorocks
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 4:40 AM, Retrograde said:

Time for some UK Lockdown testing! We are all locked down for four weeks now and possibly longer.... So what better time to have a listen and make possible additions 😃

 

Chord Hugo TT2 DAC

Chord Hugo M Scaler Upsampling Digital Processor

Benchmark DAC3

Topping D30 DAC

Ideon 3R Master Time USB Re-Clocker

InnuOs Phoenix USB Re-Clocker

 

All will be playing through my Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated Amplifier, Lampizator Amber 3 DAC and Klipsch Forte III Speakers.

 

I'll be posting my thoughts soon on the combinations

 

 

 

 

 

@Retrograde How is the testing going? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Would the AudioQuest DragonFly suit your needs?  They're tiny, but have high end ESS DACs inside.  The Red is very good, and the Cobalt is better, because along with improved sound (newer better DACs in it), it has the jitter correction circuitry that was previously dealt with by adding the ($50?) JitterBug to the Red, or the entry-level Black.

 

They do MQA, I believe.

 

I've got all three (I bought the Black to test the concept) and regularly use the Red (with JitterBug) or the Cobalt with my AudioQuest NightOwl headphones, and they make a big improvement in their already great sound.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've since gotten a Denafrips into my system.  I had to see what all the hype was about.  I can't imagine finding a more analog sounding DAC.

Did you end up with the Ares II? I like it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Which do you have, there are many iFi DACs?

 

I have an nano iDSD LE for portable use and an nano iOne running my Jubilees. Must admit I like the iOne. Problem is these are the only ones I have heard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I've since gotten a Denafrips into my system.  I had to see what all the hype was about.  I can't imagine finding a more analog sounding DAC.

Dont get a Border Patrol SE-i, Nor an Altmann Attraction.................They are both more analog sounding than the Ares II  IMHO though neither has the connectivity nor the bit rate capabilities of the Ares II

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, tivorocks said:

JoeJoe

 

I have read nothing but good things about the Topping D90 MQA.  There are two D90 versions.  The non MQA @$699 and the MQA @$799.  Unfortunately, these are seldom discounted and seldom seen on the secondary market.  The Topping is on my wish list.  My current listening is generally 70% Tidal HD streaming and 30% vinyl.  My current DAC is Arcam irDac, which I have had for a few years.  The irDac is not MQA compatible.  However I do have an Aurender N100h which does a partial MQA unfold.  I am extremely happy and often shocked with what I end up hearing at my ear drums. (Using Primaluna Prologue Premium integrated amp and Forte iiis)  

 

I bought the non MQA D90 last fall when I found a decent deal on one. Spent some time with my wife directly comparing it to the built in dac in our Integra DHC 80.3 as well as an old Benchmark DAC and a relatively inexpensive SMSL dac. The D90 came in last place and was returned. I was quite surprised given all the glowing reviews but my violinist wife was rather rude about its shortcomings. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tromprof said:

 

I bought the non MQA D90 last fall when I found a decent deal on one. Spent some time with my wife directly comparing it to the built in dac in our Integra DHC 80.3 as well as an old Benchmark DAC and a relatively inexpensive SMSL dac. The D90 came in last place and was returned. I was quite surprised given all the glowing reviews but my violinist wife was rather rude about its shortcomings. 🤣

what came in first place?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...