Fiddling Around with 402 stands

Dave A

Trying to finish up a bunch of projects here and one of them was metal stands for my 402's on my S-MWM. I could not buy them since I bought these used minus the stands. Figured it would be no big deal to order some sets to go with the various 402's I have sitting here but such was not to be. Turns out I have to be the owner of an OEM stand with an SN# on it  to order an OEM stand so as I scratched my head on that one I left the 402's propped up on milk crates and wood. Not very elegant but then neither am I so time passes.

Got around to getting one built this week and with four sets needing stands this is what I came up with.

402 support.jpg

• Like 1

Those stands of yours look just fine, and have the adjustability that can come in handy.  Are you planning to leave them that colour, or will you paint them black?  Ooh, you could go for Vanta Black, and they'd be nearly invisible!  The OEM 402 stands are available in Canada, but they cost about $186CAD each, so I took a pass on them.  With tax and shipping, they'd be over $400CAD for the pair!  

My 402 horns came with stands made of a plywood base and a double thickness upright.  They're not adjustable, but with the height of the horns sitting on top of the La Scala II cabinets, the 7 degree forward tilt produced by the height of the uprights works out perfectly.  They aim them directly at the listening position, and should reduce early reflection ceiling bounce.  I've covered them in black cardboard (Bristol board), and they look okay.

As for the 510 horns that I got in 2008 (I got the 402s in 2017), I had 3/4" thick Plexiglas stands custom made, and they look great.  As well, their thickness adds enough weight to damp out unwanted vibrations. 

• Like 1

I had enough time to prime them before it started misting outside and then I wanted to put them on before black top coat anyway, because I could not wait. Being adjustable is critical to setting up 402's and the difference in sound stage is pretty amazing just by how you aim them.

Drill more holes and your stands will be adjustable.

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

So....  you're saying there is supposed to be a SN on my actual stands?

If so....any idea where?  Embossed in wood like some of the speakers?  Tag?  I've never noticed however, I've never specifically looked.

Well that is what I was told by Klipsch. Look on the stand for an SN. I have some stands but the SN's were apparently removed. As the story goes they went with some of the first gen 402 horn's and when they first gens were replaced with new it was requested that the SN's be removed from the stands. I have yet to see an SN so I can't tell you where to look. If you buy used like I often have you get the rest of the story afterwards. What is the history of your 402's?

.Well.....call me baffled or perplexed.

The BASE unit of the assembly doesn't have any SN as best I can tell (didn't lift up to look on bottom nor see if it's under any of the mounted hardware).  That said, the horn itself had a SN number (sticker) but nothing that I could find on the base.

30 minutes ago, Coytee said:

.Well.....call me baffled or perplexed.

The BASE unit of the assembly doesn't have any SN as best I can tell (didn't lift up to look on bottom nor see if it's under any of the mounted hardware).  That said, the horn itself had a SN number (sticker) but nothing that I could find on the base.

I have a pair of 1st generation 402’s and the serial #’s were on the horns as well  

763D493F-85B2-4DCB-9CAB-499D8F9DF4E9.jpeg

If I had to guess maybe 40 to 50 pounds. They sit on top of the bass bin with little plastic feet on the bottom of the plywood and not secured to the bass bin in any way.

Well there seems to be no consistency as to SN's. I am coming to the conclusion that it is hit or miss with Klipsch parts dept guys. Some seem to know and others not. I have 12 horns here and no SN's anywhere.

3 hours ago, Coytee said:

So....  you're saying there is supposed to be a SN on my actual stands?

If so....any idea where?  Embossed in wood like some of the speakers?  Tag?  I've never noticed however, I've never specifically looked.

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Well that is what I was told by Klipsch. Look on the stand for an SN. I have some stands but the SN's were apparently removed. As the story goes they went with some of the first gen 402 horn's and when they first gens were replaced with new it was requested that the SN's be removed from the stands. I have yet to see an SN so I can't tell you where to look. If you buy used like I often have you get the rest of the story afterwards. What is the history of your 402's?

I pulling out the :pwk_bs: on this one. The speaker stand has a S/N? Since when? I think the only S/N on the whole 402 assy. on my Jubilees was on the shipping box. They just don't want to sell you a stand..you might just be a tinkerer...and when you can't get it working you blame Klipsch. BTW your stands look almost identical to my Klipsch factory ones. Excellent job.

Klipsch is not in the business of selling parts to hobbyists, they sell complete speaker systems. I get it. We get it.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

I have no idea what to tell you on the SN's. 1st gen 402's and 501's look crude and are made of heavy extremely brittle material. Later gen versions look precision made and are a plastic of some sort and MUCH better.

That is my assessment as well...  (that the earlier version seemed to be brittle or flaky even if it didn't flake)

It also seems thicker than my 402.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

I pulling out the :pwk_bs: on this one. The speaker stand has a S/N? Since when? I think the only S/N on the whole 402 assy. on my Jubilees was on the shipping box. They just don't want to sell you a stand..you might just be a tinkerer...and when you can't get it working you blame Klipsch. BTW your stands look almost identical to my Klipsch factory ones. Excellent job.

Klipsch is not in the business of selling parts to hobbyists, they sell complete speaker systems. I get it. We get it.

Yet you have seen pictures of SN's on a 402 horn in this very thread which completely disproves what you say. Why would you think I am misrepresenting what I was told? Every old klipsch speaker I have bought had SN's (with a few exceptions where the SN or tag had fallen off) on them and it is surprising to me yours did not.

I am not sure exactly why Klipsch stopped selling parts except in certain situations. I hear stories but don't know for sure. In my case where I want to restore sets of pro gear I could buy woofers for the 415 base bins for instance since there were SN's on them. I had 402's and 402 plywood bases that came the 415's but since I did not have the SN for the 402 package no go on the stands. Sure I get that new systems are bread and butter but they will support those with SN's.

Allrighty then, I'll give my 402s and stands another close inspection. If there are S/N labels on them they have them well hidden. Perhaps on the bottom of the stand's base plate? The k-691 drivers should be easy to check since there just sitting on a shelf.

Like I said there's definitely # on the boxes:

P1010118.jpg

• Like 1

Dave, I wish you would have posted this a couple months back... I was going to toss mine last year, and a coupke of months ago one of out pr friends said he would find a use for it.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, babadono said:

Allrighty then, I'll give my 402s and stands another close inspection. If there are S/N labels on them they have them well hidden. Perhaps on the bottom of the stand's base plate? The k-691 drivers should be easy to check since there just sitting on a shelf.

P1010118.jpg

I have no idea, I have yet to see one myself. I can only tell you what I have been told.

1 hour ago, NBPK402 said:

Dave, I wish you would have posted this a couple months back... I was going to toss mine last year, and a coupke of months ago one of out pr friends said he would find a use for it.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

It would have saved me some grief. I am not really set up to do this kind of work so it is not easy even though the parts are not complicated.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, babadono said:

P1010118.jpg

So this morning I get a PM from a 402 buyer in the recent past and he says no SN on his stands. I give up trying to figure this out.