I am 15 years old here is my set up

Zachk0

On 10/28/2020 at 2:32 PM, Zachk0 said:

I love cranking the volume on this thing I remember when I first started listening to it loud it took a while for my ears to adjust 

It’s important to realize that your ears adjust to high volume sounds the same way your eyes adjust to very bright light, like staring at the sun.  The ears lose sensitivity, as in you gradually become deaf, in the same way you gradually become blind if you keep looking at the sun (or a welding arc.  They’re as bright as the sun, even from a distance.).

At first it’s temporary.  The ringing and buzzing, like after a rock concert if you’re close to the speakers.  With light, the equivalent is a condition like snow blindness.  This can happen to people in the Arctic who can’t protect their eyes from the glare of the bright Northern sun reflected off all the snow.  Before the Europeans arrived with metal and glass and other modern materials, the Inuit made snow goggles out of bone or antler with very narrow slits that would allow in only a bit of the light.  Without them, snow blindness could last for days, with the victim unable to go out to hunt or fish.

The first time or two, they’d recover from snow blindness, like going to a few concerts without hearing protection causes only temporary damage.  However, if the experience was repeated, the damage would become permanent.  Soft sounds can no longer be heard, because of the constant buzzing or hissing the person hears.  It’s called tinnitus, and I have it.  Even in a very quiet room, I hear a constant high-pitched sound, like whistling, or hissing/buzzing.  I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that half the members here have some degree of tinnitus.  So much for hearing the fine details in the music.

The person with the light-damaged eyes can cope at first, but if it happens again, they become unable to drive at night.  That’s just the first stage.  People usually smarten up before they lose all of their sight, but many people never clue in to the damage caused by the loud music and become deaf, like John Entwhistle, the bassist from the Who, or Brian Johnson, the singer from AC/DC, or many more.

I understand that part of the thrill from listening to classic rock, or going to rock concerts, is the chest-pounding volume of the music.  As a youth, nobody I knew had a heavy-duty stereo like yours, so we only experienced really loud music at concerts, maybe once a month.  Concert tickets were a lot cheaper then, so even people with minimum-wage jobs could afford to see top bands once a month, or maybe even more often.  A day or two after the concert, our hearing would be back to near normal.  However, if you listen regularly at that kind of volume, your ears don’t recover, and that buzzing/whistling/hissing in your ears becomes permanent.  The soft sounds you want to hear are replaced with the noises you don’t want to hear.

Just a very long way of suggesting you listen smart, so you don’t regret it later.  We’ve nearly all been there.

Snow goggles look cooler than earplugs, but both are important.

8ef94f5c676ff736c63ffa9dd8442feb.jpg

• Like 2

hey guys so I put about 40 Of the 50 songs in order there was about 15 more CDs in there I either just couldn’t find on the list or we’re just not on like Pink Floyd and stuff I’m assuming he got these after he made the list and just remembered where they were idk of the 50 songs in order 

• Like 3

I walk out of my bedroom to go back into my living room while I’m listening to Rush and my subwoofer has hopped onto an angle lol first time this has happend to me not sure it must’ve vibrated over there I’m surprise nothing fell

B60901C2-B0A7-4785-92B5-B404363BE6E9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/31/2020 at 3:41 PM, Zachk0 said:

listening to Rush

Rush... one of my all time favorite bands!

Those lights rock!!!  I had one back in college...oh the memories that seeing your picture brought back! 

Nice KLF speakers.  I had the KSW sub for a bit about 15 years ago and dumped it relatively quick.  It's not musical at all.  My suggestion is look for a better sub when the time is right.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, Iteachstem said:

Rush... one of my all time favorite bands!

Those lights rock!!!  I had one back in college...oh the memories that seeing your picture brought back! 

Nice KLF speakers.  I had the KSW sub for a bit about 15 years ago and dumped it relatively quick.  It's not musical at all.  My suggestion is look for a better sub when the time is right.

let’s be honest is a subwoofer really necessary with the 30s

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zachk0 said:

let’s be honest is a subwoofer really necessary with the 30s

My answer- Heck Yes!  The 30's are good speakers, but, like any speaker, when you are listening at lower volumes, there is a perceived lack of bass.... This is where the sub can really help.  I use two subs with my RF-83's and they are rated to play from 29-21,000hz. Your KLF-30's are rated to play from 36-20,000hz, so in theory they won't play as low.  Don't get me wrong, the KLF 30's have a great kick in the low end, but I think a nice sub (or two) will definitely help when set up correctly.

Good luck enjoying the speakers!

• Like 1

Zach, a few of my thoughts after perusing everything again.  Yea, we're watching you kid!   IF your CD list is in your Mom's or Dad's handwriting I'd frame them.  Save them cause we all know he's grinning big time right now.  That system better not go anywhere either cause we're allllll watching now!  hahaha  Klipsch posters?  Good luck!  Play nice in the sandbox w/friends and watch 'em grin.  That's half the fun of running Klipsch.  Blows them AWAY!   :)

Just keep on truckin son!  Lyrics always seem to fit and resonate.  hahaha

• Like 3