I am 15 years old here is my set up

Zachk0

1 hour ago, Islander said:

I believe The Wall of Sound was also the nickname of the massive, enormous, sound system used by The Grateful Dead.

Designed by none other than John Curl. 

How's Canada rocking tonight? Looks like this is going to be an expensive hobby for you. I speak from experience. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ned said:

Designed by none other than John Curl. 

How's Canada rocking tonight? Looks like this is going to be an expensive hobby for you. I speak from experience. 

Didn't Owsley design The Grateful Dead's travelling system?

Expensive hobby?  Yes, but in the past tense.  What I mean by that is that the money is spent, and everything is paid for.  I think it will stay at this level for some time to come.  You can see what it's made of in my sig line at the bottom.

So where in the Rockies are you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Islander said:

Didn't Owsley design The Grateful Dead's travelling system?

Expensive hobby?  Yes, but in the past tense.  What I mean by that is that the money is spent, and everything is paid for.  I think it will stay at this level for some time to come.  You can see what it's made of in my sig line at the bottom.

So where in the Rockies are you?

Owsley was a chemist and a manufacturer of chemical products. So, I guess it mean what you mean by "traveling." Taking a trip? Yes, very much so. 

As for the expense, it takes a while to know what we like. I had to buy RF-3 to know that I preferred Cornwall, and KHorns to know that I preferred them to the Cornwalls. That was a bit costly. Or stepping up through Adcom and Parasound to realize the value in restoring all the old Fisher I had accumulated. That added up a bit. And I agree, at a certain point, all the big stuff is in place. I haven't bought a piece of equipment in a while, but cartridges, tubes, DACs, computers and the like continue to pile up. 

Did some spring skiing at Whistler a couple of years ago. You live in a very special spot. I'm up in the mountains of New Mexico.

You have a Belle as a single front? you are living right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went from entry level bookshelf speakers -- R15M's straight to LaSacalas. I hear folks comparing this to that and I have nothing to go on... not that I miss spending a lot of money working my way to where I am.

I didn't spend a lot of money on my system. I budgeted $2000... Bought a vintage H/K630 and a pair of LS... and came in under my allowance. Even with the cross-country trip to pick it all up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I went from entry level bookshelf speakers -- R15M's straight to LaSacalas. I hear folks comparing this to that and I have nothing to go on... not that I miss spending a lot of money working my way to where I am.

I didn't spend a lot of money on my system. I budgeted $2000... Bought a vintage H/K630 and a pair of LS... and came in under my allowance. Even with the cross-country trip to pick it all up.

you have earned the name grasshopper. well done and I bet your rig rocks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To ned:

Plus I have a backup Belle.  Singles are really hard to find, so I had buy a pair.  My first Klipsch speakers were a pair of old La Scalas, a speaker I had wanted for about 35 years.  A month later, I joined this forum, and the madness began.  I bought Heresy IIs, upgraded the Scalas, bought a pair of LS2s, upgraded them.  It's been a 16-year project.

As for Augustus Owsley Stanley III, he was an audio engineer as well as a chemist.  The Wall of Sound is mentioned in the first paragraph of the Wiki page..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_(Grateful_Dead)

Pix (only 5) here:  https://vintagenewsdaily.com/20-amazing-vintage-photos-of-the-grateful-deads-wall-of-sound-1974/

As for Whistler, I hear it's great, but it's on the mainland, an $80 ferry ride away, and the same to return.  Anyway, Mount Washington is just a 3-hour drive north of Victoria, in the Island, and some years it gets the deepest snow of any resort in the world.  I haven't skied in years, so ski hills are academic to me now, although my in-laws and their kids go to both Whistler and Mount Washington.  New Mexico sounds exotic to me, possibly from cowboy movies I saw as a kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grasshopper said:

That doesn't mean you're all done, does it?  I set aside some money for annual upgrades, and 16 years later, the system has reached levels that I wasn't even aware of when I started out.  Bi-amping? Active electronic crossover with time alignment?  K-402 tweeter horns?  Most of that was totally new to me, and with the networking that goes on here, you can often find used gear in good order.  You can learn a lot on this forum, about sound as well as about audio, and make new friends as well.  Sometimes that's the most important thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

to Pat

Absolutely correct about Owsley. Thank you for the links. That is very good reading and serves as fine examples of our hobby.

Have you posted a picture of your setup? Would love to see it. 

to Zachk0

I run a Heresy iii as a center some of the time and I am glad you got your dad's system up and running. 

6 hours ago, ned said:

to Pat

Absolutely correct about Owsley. Thank you for the links. That is very good reading and serves as fine examples of our hobby.

Have you posted a picture of your setup? Would love to see it. 

to Zachk0

I run a Heresy iii as a center some of the time and I am glad you got your dad's system up and running. 

Here is my set up if you’re wondering what it contains you can look at my profile under my set up 

03C3023A-7845-4655-A464-B881D47309BC.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Islander said:

and with the networking that goes on here,

the people around here are wonderful enablers...

I would like to add sub/s to the set up.    A sub to sound good with the LS isn't gonna be cheap, even if I build one. I think I need a tapped  horn... and space is a consideration. I'm working in a 12 X 25ft room with a traffic pattern all thru the room.

guys I posted this video on YouTube of my set up in action the other day since I cannot post to videos because of the size of the file I decided to post this video on YouTube to show you guys my set up so here’s the link hope you enjoy it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grasshopper said:

the people around here are wonderful enablers...

I would like to add sub/s to the set up.    A sub to sound good with the LS isn't gonna be cheap, even if I build one. I think I need a tapped  horn... and space is a consideration. I'm working in a 12 X 25ft room with a traffic pattern all thru the room.

Sure, some guys claim that you need some kind of super sub to keep up with horn-loaded speakers, but that’s not necessarily so.  It depends on what you listen to.  If you’re just listening to acoustic folk, for example, especially at low to medium volume, you may not need a subwoofer at all.  If you like rock music, you’ll need some kind of sub.  If you like loud rock music, or you like to watch action movies, you need a pretty good sub.  If your room is bigger than average, you’ll need a bigger and more powerful sub.

That will get you probably three-quarters of the way there.  I’ve had four sub setups with my La Scalas:  a pair of 8-inch 90 watt units (good for folk music and low-volume rock, a 10-inch 500 watt unit (good for pretty much everything), a 10-inch 850 watt unit (very nice, and goes much deeper, but the sound field had big peaks and dips), a pair of 10-inch 850 watt units (even nicer, and consistent bass level everywhere in the listening area).   Horn-loaded subwoofers are more efficient, of course, but tend to be large, so they may not fit in every room.

So, a horn loaded subwoofer with a fairly powerful amplifier should be great, but don’t deprive yourself of good subwoofage because you can’t afford the totally amazing sub at the moment.  Building a super system takes time, unless you’re really rich.  Open a stereo account, and put some money in it every month.  You’ll be surprised how quickly it can grow.  Keep checking every audio for sale site and learn what kinds of prices various kinds of gear cost.  Then, when you find something you want at a bargain price, you’ll have the cash to snap it up.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, ned said:

Owsley was a chemist and a manufacturer of chemical products. So, I guess it mean what you mean by "traveling." Taking a trip? Yes, very much so. 

As for the expense, it takes a while to know what we like. I had to buy RF-3 to know that I preferred Cornwall, and KHorns to know that I preferred them to the Cornwalls. That was a bit costly. Or stepping up through Adcom and Parasound to realize the value in restoring all the old Fisher I had accumulated. That added up a bit. And I agree, at a certain point, all the big stuff is in place. I haven't bought a piece of equipment in a while, but cartridges, tubes, DACs, computers and the like continue to pile up. 

Did some spring skiing at Whistler a couple of years ago. You live in a very special spot. I'm up in the mountains of New Mexico.

You have a Belle as a single front? you are living right. 

It was primarily Owsley and others... John Curl and Rick Turner were also involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound_(Grateful_Dead)

He was, as mentioned, a chemist, who pretty much made the best lsd outside of a government lab.

Hey guys does anybody know where I can get a KSW 15 dust Mine has been missing for years off it I don’t know where it has wet I’ve always made sure that there has been no dust in the middle where the Cap was and I’m looking to buy a replacement cap 

• Like 1