Surround speaker advice (floor plan attached)

Salz

I am looking for advice on Surround speakers based on my floorplan and what I currently have purchased.

I currently have:
R-820F

R-12SW

R-34C I am thinking about mounting this above my screen and tilting down rather than below and tilting up. My theory is that the center will reach further back into the room above the screen. Any thoughts?

I still need to purchase:

Surrounds, I am thinking RP-402S. I do not know what else to get that is wall mounted. I was going to place these at ear level but I read somewhere that surrounds should be a couple feet above ear level. Since the RP-402S are bidirectional, I plan on having them a little further back from the primary front and center seat. Is this the correct position for these? I am price conscious and these RP-402S are pushing me towards the top of my budget. I'm not even sure if these are a good match for the Front R-820F. Are these big enough? Does anyone have other recommendations for on-wall surrounds in this layout?

I still need to purchase in-ceiling speakers for atmos setup. I have no idea what to get. Any recommendations?

FloorPlan.png

4 hours ago, Salz said:

R-34C I am thinking about mounting this above my screen and tilting down rather than below and tilting up. My theory is that the center will reach further back into the room above the screen. Any thoughts?

Generally we try and get the horn/tweeter as close as possible to the same horizonal plane as the mains' horns, however there's no point matching their height if the center is going to be blocked by the front row of seats, so I'd say yeah, this is good option to try. I'd recommend trying both below and above before permanently mounting it to make sure you're getting the best compromise. 

4 hours ago, Salz said:

Surrounds, I am thinking RP-402S. I do not know what else to get that is wall mounted. I was going to place these at ear level but I read somewhere that surrounds should be a couple feet above ear level

I don't have personal experience with these, but I honestly think you can't go wrong with them. And yes, I'd go a couple of feet above ear level.

4 hours ago, Salz said:

ince the RP-402S are bidirectional, I plan on having them a little further back from the primary front and center seat. Is this the correct position for these? I am price conscious and these RP-402S are pushing me towards the top of my budget.

I think where you've shown them on your diagram is perfect... so yes, between front and back row and a few feet above ear level.

4 hours ago, Salz said:

I'm not even sure if these are a good match for the Front R-820F. Are these big enough?

These should be more than big enough and they shoot above the level of the R-820's. These most likely have the titanium tweeters while the 820's have the aluminum tweeter... but I'd rather go with these so that if you even upgrade your mains to the RP series, you won't have to replace these as well.

4 hours ago, Salz said:

I still need to purchase in-ceiling speakers for atmos setup. I have no idea what to get. Any recommendations?

I went with the PRO-180RPC IN-CEILING Speakers, which is the top of the range in-ceiling. They work great with my reference range of bed level speakers, and will be a perfect match all the way up to the RP and RF (Flagship) series.

I hope this helps.

Brendon

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Salz said:

What goes into a center channel speaker that make it almost double the price of a matched front surround speaker? I look at the center speaker compared to the front surround and the cones are smaller, box is smaller.

What models are you comparing?

Ok, I am starting down the rabbit hole. At first, I figured I'd have an advantage installing atmos speakers in my ceiling, which I think would be desired over the reflective off the ceiling speakers, especially since I'm installing an acoustic panel ceiling.

Also, my understanding of atmos is that the sound coming from these speakers is "environmental", E.g. the sound of rain or thunder from no particular location enveloping you. So I initially thought these did not have to be pointed at the listener.

Then I started reading about the importance of pointing ceiling speakers at the listeners, especially the tweeter. I am looking to buy 8" speakers and the ones with a pivoting tweeter are out of my price range.

I do have a low ceiling, which I think is important to mention, 7 1/2 ft. The locations in my layout drawing may have to move a bit because I will be competing with ceiling joists.

I am looking at purchasing old Klipsch R-1800-C

Is it ok to have these in-ceiling atmos speakers down firing in the general locations I have them? Or should I look at speakers that can be mounted to the ceiling and then I can easily point them to the listeners? If I go with the ceiling mount as opposed to the in-ceiling, it does not look like klipsch makes this style, or do they? 

Edited by Salz