Good turntable brands?

wuzzzer

Since the guy I was going to buy a TT from hasn't been responding to my messages I'm now thinking about just buying a brand new one.  I don't want or need anything fancy, this will be used very minimally.  What are some brands to look at in the sub $500 price range?

Also, my Sony reciever has a dedicated phono input.  Do I need to be concerned about the type of player I get if this is the case?  I know there are differences as far as being an MM or MC design?

Denon's are work horses and were often used for DJ work as were Technics.  Denon's are direct drive.  Mine holds speed perfectly after all these years.  That's my vintage table.   I also have a Rega P3 which has been called one of the best $1000 tables.  You may find an older model Rega for your price range but look at both brands.

• Thanks 1

That's a big range. Yes to moving magnet, although moving coil in that price range is pretty uncommon so most will be MM. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands, though they all have better models. I would look for fully manual as the automatics just have more to go wrong.

Used TT are of course better bang for the buck, but if you want something solid and reliable you can get a Pro-ject Debut Carbon for $449 which is basically plug and play.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ele/d/saint-paul-pioneer-pl50/7219717276.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ele/d/prior-lake-pioneer-pl-630-turntable/7204275533.html

You could also take a chance on a super cheap one if you just want to try vinyl again.

This one is casually sitting on top a La Scala:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ele/d/stillwater-pioneer-pl-518-turntable/7219968646.html

Not sure where you are in MN.

• Thanks 1

Music Hall, Project. 99.999999% sure if your receiver is set up with a phono input it will be for MM only. MC cartridges are sweet, but probably not something you want to mess with in that budget.

We always like to spend others money here. If you can bump up that budget...a good bit...this is a table you could have till the grave. Good deal given that the Basis Reflex clamp is $500 alone. If you got it near the opening bid of $1,150 you will have done good. It has a Basis badged Rega amr. Fool proof. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Basis-1400-Turntable-Virtually-Mint-and-Upgraded-with-Extras/193724191857?hash=item2d1adc9471:g:7NMAAOSwJVJfldAr

• Thanks 1

@wuzzzer folks have provided input on TT for me under thread TT PAIN. My budget is same as yours but in Canada bucks. I’ve not had good luck with sellers of vintage or even newer used TT. They just don’t know their gear, are less than transparent “oh you’d like a cartridge and stylus?”, their gear is busted, especially dust covers... etc. I made a mistake not buying a local Luxman PD-274. Check the Luxman 200 series?   I’m looking into a Sony PS-LX3 now. If I go vintage/used I’d like direct drive and new cartridge on a well maintained unit, add my low budget and that’s the problem. Oh well if I’m still in the market on Black Friday maybe a new TT is a better option.

11 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@wuzzzer folks have provided input on TT for me under thread TT PAIN. My budget is same as yours but in Canada bucks. I’ve not had good luck with sellers of vintage or even newer used TT. They just don’t know their gear, are less than transparent “oh you’d like a cartridge and stylus?”, their gear is busted, especially dust covers... etc. I made a mistake not buying a local Luxman PD-274. Check the Luxman 200 series?   I’m looking into a Sony PS-LX3 now. If I go vintage/used I’d like direct drive and new cartridge on a well maintained unit, add my low budget and that’s the problem. Oh well if I’m still in the market on Black Friday maybe a new TT is a better option.

Yes think your topic the recent one... thanks!

I am well satisfied with my Fluance. Hard to beat for the money. There are reviews on youtube and they are positive. I installed a Denon DL-110 MC cartridge a few months after purchasing it but the cartridge it came with is very good for a MM. The turntable itself is half your budget. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-Turntable-Cartridge-Adjustable-Counterweight/dp/B01F2EXIFM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=19UQ7U487MRV6&dchild=1&keywords=fluance+turntable&qid=1603912270&sprefix=fluance+tu%2Caps%2C215&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNTVEN04zTDMzVEY2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODY4Mzk3MTUyN0UzMU5LVUg1WSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTUzNjE5MTRDRTBDQzZVREdUNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rplace said:

Music Hall, Project. 99.999999% sure if your receiver is set up with a phono input it will be for MM only. MC cartridges are sweet, but probably not something you want to mess with in that budget.

We always like to spend others money here. If you can bump up that budget...a good bit...this is a table you could have till the grave. Good deal given that the Basis Reflex clamp is $500 alone. If you got it near the opening bid of $1,150 you will have done good. It has a Basis badged Rega amr. Fool proof. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Basis-1400-Turntable-Virtually-Mint-and-Upgraded-with-Extras/193724191857?hash=item2d1adc9471:g:7NMAAOSwJVJfldAr

Kind of wondering about the sweetness thing.

JJK

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I ended up ordering a Sony PSLX310BT.  Found a good deal on one for $169 with free shipping. 

This is my first turntable so I think it'll give a try and then see how much I actually listen to it.  Right now I only have about a half dozen vinyls.  As I expand my collection I might step up to a nicer player. 

• Thanks 1

You opted for plug and play solution, congratulations 😃.

I don't know what cartridge and stylus Sony uses or if you could upgrade it later. But for that kind of money it seems like a solid starter TT. You will appreciate the convenience of not having to align the cartridge and set it right, if you have never done that.  

If you by any chance have access to a separate phono amp, give it a try. I doubt that the one built in the Sony is of good quality.