Good turntable brands?

wuzzzer

On 10/28/2020 at 12:39 PM, rplace said:

Music Hall, Project. 99.999999% sure if your receiver is set up with a phono input it will be for MM only. MC cartridges are sweet, but probably not something you want to mess with in that budget.

We always like to spend others money here. If you can bump up that budget...a good bit...this is a table you could have till the grave. Good deal given that the Basis Reflex clamp is $500 alone. If you got it near the opening bid of $1,150 you will have done good. It has a Basis badged Rega amr. Fool proof. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Basis-1400-Turntable-Virtually-Mint-and-Upgraded-with-Extras/193724191857?hash=item2d1adc9471:g:7NMAAOSwJVJfldAr

Still at $1150 with 8 hours left.

I noticed you did get a TT. I posted this as an update to Rplace's info, incase someone else is looking.

Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like fun playing with vinyl.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

You opted for plug and play solution, congratulations 😃.

I don't know what cartridge and stylus Sony uses or if you could upgrade it later. But for that kind of money it seems like a solid starter TT. You will appreciate the convenience of not having to align the cartridge and set it right, if you have never done that.  

If you by any chance have access to a separate phono amp, give it a try. I doubt that the one built in the Sony is of good quality.

Yes, he has a phono out on his Sony receiver. Take his pick.

I bought my 1st Gyrodec for $500 from aguy that worked as atech in a Highend stereo snop...good luck finding one for under $1know. I picked up a Pro Ject RPM Carbon with a Sumiko cartridge for $500 new a couple ofyears ago....great setup IMO for a beginning setup.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Got a text that my turntable has shipped.  Yay!

It will have to sit on my TV stand in middle shelf.  My SVS SB-2000 subs sit on either side of the stand.  Am I going to have to worry about vibration from them while playing records?  I probably won't listen really loudly and may, in fact, just listen to my Heresys in full range when I'm listening to records. 

My Heresys will be about five feet away on each side of the stand. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Got a text that my turntable has shipped.  Yay!

It will have to sit on my TV stand in middle shelf.  My SVS SB-2000 subs sit on either side of the stand.  Am I going to have to worry about vibration from them while playing records?  I probably won't listen really loudly and may, in fact, just listen to my Heresys in full range when I'm listening to records. 

My Heresys will be about five feet away on each side of the stand. 

You will possibly have with the subs depending.

Like the Heresy full range with TT.

Will await your TT with interest.

Well, the TT arrived a couple hours ago.  According to Best Buy's open box "Excellent" condition, it should be:

Products in Excellent condition look brand new — with no physical flaws, scratches or scuffs — and include all original parts and accessories (or a suitable replacement). The product will be in its original box (or a suitable replacement).

Well, the dust cover has a ton of tape residue and looks like someone tried removing it with sandpaper.  Plus, one of the dust cover hinges is missing a small pad that makes the hinge fit in tighter.  To be honest that doesn't bother me a ton but it was clearly misrepresented so I'll be taking that up with Best Buy. 

Anyway, it's connected.  Many years ago I bought two Boston LPs that looked like they were never played.  One is the self-titled LP and the other is Third Stage.  I chose to listen to Third Stage first and just finished Side A.

I'm in analog heaven.  Seriously.  For not being remotely close to a high end player this thing just makes music come to life.  I'm fortunate to have a dedicated Phono input on my receiver so that made things easy.

Last night I bought the soundtrack to the movie The Big Chill on LP at Goodwill for $2, looks to be near mint.  I can see my LP collection growing very fast.

Anyway, on to Side B...💿

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 1:20 PM, wuzzzer said:

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I ended up ordering a Sony PSLX310BT.  Found a good deal on one for $169 with free shipping. 

This is my first turntable so I think it'll give a try and then see how much I actually listen to it.  Right now I only have about a half dozen vinyls.  As I expand my collection I might step up to a nicer player. 

congrats ----

• Like 1

So I did an online chat with a rep from Best Buy regarding the condition of the dust cover on my "Excellent" condition open-box player.  They gave me the option at first to return it and exchange it for another open-box model.  I didn't want to chance the second one either not working or having other issues so I accepted their second offer of a partial refund.  Should be getting The Wall sent to me for the weekend so I'm excited to give it a spin!

• Like 1