Jubilee Owners Near Cleveland Ohio

Dave A

On 12/15/2020 at 6:46 PM, mikld said:

With the Danley SH50's and accompanying subs, it sounded like the drummer was playing in the room.

Like I pointed out several times during our long conversation, mostly me talking, LOL....................the thing that you need horns for is the key to that realism......DYNAMICS delivered with TRANSIENT ATTACK, with drums being the most demanding of a recording and playback system. Any percussive instrument including Piano would qualify for that "test."

I have heard and/or owned/tested everything else you can imagine at hi fi shows, other peoples homes, etc. including Half Million Dollar Wilson speakers. I even own Carver Platinum Amazing speakers that truly live up to their name in many ways, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will beat the dynamics and realism at LIVE VOLUME levels required for that REALISM except HORNS, period!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mikld said:

Dave A - I understand Mrdecibel has a heavily modded pair of LaScala's and runs subs with them, I don't know what his listening room is like or the music he listens to, I understand he listens to music 70-90dB and will get up to 100dB on occasion.  Based on the listening session at ClaudeJ1's, there were no soundstage issues with his MEH's 5-6' from the listening position, at conversation volume, or at 100+db!

I'm pretty sure if I measured them with a fast enough source, like a microphone on my Oscilloscope, we probably reached 124 db. short term PEAKS with those drums. The other recording I played in the basement was done by Tom Jung (Flim and the BB's) to use the full DYNAMICS and TRANSIENT response of the drums with the rest of the instruments, which start out very quiet, then "explode" with the drums getting hit hard. It's one of the few recordings that takes advantage of the CD medium of 96 db DYNAMIC RANGE, with the band playing for that effect. Meanwhile 99.99% of the recorded music we have all grown to like all these years, uses compressor and limiters, unfortunately. 

• Like 1