K-510 Horns (with mumps) and JBL 2446 drivers - SOLD

PrestonTom

NOTE: These items have now been sold and are now in a good home 

Sometimes projects that are planned don't go the distance. I was going to build a system for a friend and their circumstances have changed. 

So, I have have one pair of Klipsch K-510 horns. These are new and have never been bolted to a cabinet or a driver. The condition is perfect, although one did have a thin foam strip pressed to the back of the mouth flange (not visible from the front & is self adhesive and it can be easily removed). The K-510 horn measures 15 in wide x 9 in tall and 5 in deep. The throat is 2 inches with the standard 4 bolt flange. These are the newest version with the "mumps" which can control dispersion to a lower frequency. Since they are new, the finish is in great shape. The horizontal dispersion is controlled to 90 degrees down to about 500Hz. The vertical dispersion is controlled to about 60 degrees (down to about 1600 Hz). IOW, it is a 90x60 horn. The geometry is Roy Delgado's design ("modified tractrix" in the same design family as the big K-402 horn). Since it is a controlled dispersion horn (CD) the off-axis frequency response is comparable to the on-axis response. Let me be clear, these are the real deal and obtained from a Klipsch dealer. BTW, Klipsch sells these horns with a K-691 driver for roughly $750 each.

I also have one pair of JBL 2446H compression drivers. They are are not new, but I am the original owner, They are all original and have not been used in a pro-sound environment. They are in great shape. These have a 2 inch exit to match the K-510 throat. The nominal impedance is 8 Ohm (hence the "H" designation). The DCR is specified at 4.3 Ohm these measure (as shown) within the +/- 10% limit. The special features on these is their handling power (100 Watts continuous at 500 Hz & 150 Watts continuous at 1 kHz and above). They feature the "Coherent Wave phasing plug" and the radial-ribbed diaphragm  with the "diamond" embossed pattern suspension. These last two features also it to extend its range up 20 kHz and push the break up modes to a fairly high frequency. The sensitivity is 111 dB SPL (1 W at 1 M when horn mounted). Please note that these drivers have a very strong motor for controlling the diaphragm (basically it is huge magnet). So the drivers each weigh about 30 lbs. They measure 9.25 in diameter and 5 in depth. The street pice for new ones is anywhere from $650-850 per driver. When you use these, JBL recommends a crossover of around 500 Hz or above and with a slope of 12 dB /octave. If one wants to hot rod these in the future, you can PM for info (IOW, let's not discuss it in a Garage Sale forum).

For Forum members I am going to give a very competitive price. All four pieces (two horns and two drivers) will cost $680. 

Let me nix some questions:

1) Package deal  -  I will not sell the horns separately from the drivers (you will need to do that yourself if you want, but at these prices that would be trivial)

2) No trades - believe me I have too much equipment already. 

3) No shipping. The drivers would need to be shipped in separate boxes. So it would end up being three boxes. I would hate to see these drivers get damaged. You must pick these up. 

Addendum: On Nov 7th I decided to relax this last constraint. I am willing to pack and ship. However, please note the additional costs from Connecticut (06365) are looking to be about $90-120 to the Midwest and over $130 to the West Coast

These are located in the SE corner of Connecticut (Groton CT 06365). I am about 1 hour from New Haven, Hartford, or Providence. About 2 Hours form NYC or Boston.  If it can be done conveniently, I am willing to drive about an hour to meet you. 

Thanks for looking and please PM if you have any other questions.

-Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

Would you believe that it was almost 4 years ago exactly that I attempted to load your half size Jubilees in the back of a 4 door compact car?

FYI, Tom is an outstanding gentleman to deal with. I am sure if these aren't sold yet, they will be shortly.

GLWTS

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Please note that the original post said that I would NOT ship these. Things sometimes change.

Addendum: On Nov 7th I decided to relax the constraint about "pick up only". I am willing to pack and ship. However, please note the additional costs from Connecticut (06365) are looking to be about $90-120 to the Midwest and over $130 to the West Coast. Shipping is not inexpensive.

These would be ideal for a LaScala or Cornwall upgrade with the right crossover mods. A great deal that one would never regret at this price. I recently curved my JBL 2446 drivers against the "top of the line" B&C with 4" diaphragm of similar materials. The JBL won by being 3 db more sensitive than all the rest on a K-402 and other horns.

In a permanent install, the magnet weight is worth it and the sound would be state of the art. Don't hesitate to go for this, you will not regret it! (I have K-402's also, otherwise I would already have bought these). For the size, nothing beats the K-510 horn and it's smaller versions are now on the latest Klipsch Heritage from Klipsch (the Forte and Cornwall IV) that all the audiophile reviewers are raving about. Put your money in the very best components and you will be rewarded by superior sound!!

Also, you can add the excellent TrueXtent Beryllium Diaphragms to these JBL's to take the response beyond 20 Khz. if your ears are young enough (likely NOT necessary).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Schu said:

You'd probably have to make multiple shipments,  correct?

One big box would not be recommended. Maybe the horns in one and each driver in its own?

That is pretty much the case. The drivers, with packing, are about 33 lbs each. If you double them up you will exceed the 50lb limit and the besides the package would become a beast. I would hate to imagine what could happen. I would pack the horns together in a third box, since I would hate to what could happen to a 30 lb weight next to, or attached to , a horn. These are pricey, so It would be awful if something happened to them (I am being very cautious). So much easier if folks made the drive. Within reason, I can meet them part way.