Anyone gone active with La Scala?

Robbie010

A few audio enthusiast friends have semi-convinced me that converting my la scala to an active setup may be a worthwhile project. Initial research seems to suggest that a Behringer DCX 2496 should do the job nicely, possibly using a 6 channel power amp or look at separate amplification for each driver set. 

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B6H

Has anyone done this or something similar already? Any feedback on potential pitfalls?

I don't recommend using a Behringer crossover (i.e., the DCX-2496 or its derivatives).  The Behringer has way too many analog section issues to warrant trying to use it on a La Scala (105 dB sensitivity).  You'll eventually give up in exasperation and blame all DSP crossovers (...unfairly, I might add). 

But you could use two miniDSP 2x4HDs,  or a single 4x10 HD for about $100 more than the dual 2x4 HDs--which gives you balanced connections, which is a big deal in terms of keeping the noise levels lower.  The two 2x4 HDs will give you a little noise that you can attenuate using a 3-6 dB attenuator in each channel.  I believe the 4x10 HD will be quiet enough by itself using balanced connections.  If you don't have balanced (XLR or Phoenix/Euro connections) out from your preamp, you'll need to find a preamp that has them.

To avoid all these issues and be assured of success, I'd recommend a Xilica XP-4080 instead which has been proven to solve the noise and distortion issues.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie010 said:

A few audio enthusiast friends have semi-convinced me that converting my la scala to an active setup may be a worthwhile project. Initial research seems to suggest that a Behringer DCX 2496 should do the job nicely, possibly using a 6 channel power amp or look at separate amplification for each driver set. 

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B6H

Has anyone done this or something similar already? Any feedback on potential pitfalls?

I have used the DCX 2496 successfully, although I do acknowledge the concerns Chris raised about the analog sections.

To have decent results, do not use the analog input. Rather use the digital inputs (can either be S/PDIF or AES/EBU). That is one analog section eliminated (as well as a needless DAC conversion). To do this you will of course need to have the attenuation after the DAC (IOW, 4 or 6 channel potentiometer).

The analog section after the DCX's DAC is trickier. There are plenty of threads on how to slice the cable (after the DAC and before the reconstruction filter) and then add a transformer to provide some gain, help with the filtering and bypass the electrolytic caps & ICs. A good but not terribly expensive transformer is made by CineMag (about $35). the other components are trivial. Yes, it is a little bit of work (not too technical however), and you will have a very clean signal. Remember the DCX has a street price of about $275, which makes it very, very affordable for those with a DIY bent.

Even if you don't modify the output action , it does not sound too bad and you will get your feet wet to the world of DSP crossovers. Many advantages and a huge cost savings (compared to Xilica, Electrovoice, DEQ, Lake, Yamaha etc). I have not personally worked with the miniDSPs so I cannot comment on them. 

Good luck,

-Tom

The miniDSP 2x4 HD will do it--I'm running Belle bass bins and AMT-1s on my surrounds, and can hear no noise at all until I get within 1 foot of the AMT-1 or the bass bin.  However, to get this performance, you have to move the RCA (unbalanced) leads so that they are far away from power line noise.  The miniDSP 2x4 HD is $205.  It's the unbalanced RCA connections which are the noise issue.  The unit itself has less than -100 dB noise floor. 

I believe that it isn't worth the trouble to try to use a Behringer DCX2496--there are just too many problems.  If you're going for absolute bottom dollar (something I would never do with an active crossover), the 2x4 HD beats the DCX2496 soundly (pun intended). 

Chris

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chris A said:

The miniDSP 2x4 HD will do it--I'm running Belle bass bins and AMT-1s on my surrounds, and can hear no noise at all until I get within 1 foot of the AMT-1 or the bass bin.  However, to get this performance, you have to move the RCA (unbalanced) leads so that they are far away from power line noise.  The miniDSP 2x4 HD is $205.  It's the unbalanced RCA connections which are the noise issue.  The unit itself has less than -100 dB noise floor. 

I believe that it isn't worth the trouble to try to use a Behringer DCX2496--there are just too many problems.  If you're going for absolute bottom dollar (something I would never do with an active crossover), the 2x4 HD beats the DCX2496 soundly (pun intended). 

Chris

Thanks to everyone for the responses. 

I knew nothing about active setups until yesterday and a friend has offered to lend me the Behringer unit for as long as required to dip my toe, so to speak. 

I was going to use the Behringer with a passive pre and a cheap 6 channel power amp to have a play around. 

Are you saying that it isn’t even worth trying this setup? Will I see no improvement over the standard passive crossover???

16 minutes ago, Robbie010 said:

Are you saying that it isn’t even worth trying this setup?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but fidelity is going the suffer relative to any of the other DSP crossovers discussed above. You will hear a big difference, but the problem is: how to you decide to not use one based on that trial?  I would recommend deciding to use one or not, and go with it.  I don't know anyone that has reverted back once they figure out what they've been missing after dialing their loudspeakers into their listening rooms. 

Also note that the Behringer has a notoriously unfriendly user interface, in fact one of the guys that now has switched over to DSP/multi-amping said to me that he finally made the switch back to using DSP crossovers because the Behringer was so unpleasant to use.  The miniDSP user interface is quite simple and straightforward as is the Xilica XConsole interface. 

Chris

• Like 1

I, too, would not recommend you buy a Behringer.  I've had excess trouble with the bits I've bought. 

You should notice better focus when the system is time aligned, so do it!  Try the Behringer to get a feel, it's free.  But you should buy better.  I've heard a system running a Xilica.  It was nice. 

Thanks. 

At the minute I’m buying nothing as I have no real idea what can be achieved sonically. I have read plenty and took advice from a number of people that say they would never go back having gone active. 

I’m not going to shell out £1000+ on an active crossover to test a theory but I can borrow the Behringer FOC and hook it up to a cheap power amp to play around with an active setup. If I can see the benefits after that I will definitely take advice and go down the miniDSP or Xilica route.

• Like 2