Homemade Klipschorns - $440 - Bristol, TN

KwintSommer

For sale is a pair of homemade Klipschorn corner speakers. These speakers are very big, 59" tall and 32" wide. I bought them over 10 years ago used and have enjoyed them but they are too big for my house. They have 15" Eminence woofers in a folded horn bottom section and Altec Lansing mid horns (Altec 808-8a driver with 511 horns) and Eminence APT horn tweeters. Crossovers are Klipsch that have been rebuilt with new capacitors.

No Affiliation - $440

https://tricities.craigslist.org/ele/d/bristol-corner-horn-speakers/7222307756.html

00W0W_2BeXbIIu1DV_0jt0t2_1200x900.jpg

00000_2VG8MH2jQwZ_0hO0t2_1200x900.jpg

00O0O_etc1DzTowFR_0CI0rO_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Type AL crossovers.  Many people would say those are the worst sounding XO's for a Khorn build.  For that low price, maybe worth it?  I don't know.

AL were made for La Scala not Khorns. 

Still a great deal for someone close.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

AL were made for La Scala not Khorns. 

I did not know that! Thanks for the info.  👍

Edit:  If I had thought this through I would have realized that on my own.  After the Type AA the LS and Khorn XO's split off into the AL and AK respectively.

35 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

The Altec drivers and horns are worth more than the asking price. The tweeter is not really need with the right designed crossover. It could be made into a 2 way system very easily. This is what you call a deal. 

Would say those tweets worth$100 to a diy'er...

43 minutes ago, billybob said:

Would say those tweets worth$100 to a diy'er...

No. The Eminence APT driver is only $30 at Parts Express. The horn part is very cheap as well. 

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=Eminence APT horn &sitesearch=true

Those Altec drivers are the ones that are sought after and expensive the reason being they go down really low and high enough as well. 

• Like 1

IMHO, the combination of altec mid horns and klipsch LF woofers doesn't sound as good as the system of all altec or all klipsch settings. There is innate mismatch between the altec and klipsch components. I have experimented with a lot of A/B listening and I prefer to have separate Klipsch and Altec speakers in my listening room (and I do). Never tried Eminence woofers.

I disagree, I have used the Altec 511b horn with the Selenium D250X driver on top of my LaScala instead of the mid horn in the LaScala and noticed an improvement in sound stage and sound. Subtle but it does sound better than stock. Naturally you will need to use a different crossover as well the 511b does not go as low as the stock horn. With horns I have found bigger is better. That being said I will agree the above system needs to use a different crossover to sound the best. Still a good deal if nothing but for parts at that price. If I had a need for another speaker system I would jump at that deal. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 5:50 PM, Fayfay said:

IMHO, the combination of altec mid horns and klipsch LF woofers doesn't sound as good as the system of all altec or all klipsch settings. There is innate mismatch between the altec and klipsch components. I have experimented with a lot of A/B listening and I prefer to have separate Klipsch and Altec speakers in my listening room (and I do). Never tried Eminence woofers.

Depending on which Klipsch speakers you have had, you may well have or had Eminence woofers.

• Like 1