Heresy Advice

Pondoro

Bought a pair of R-51PM as computer speakers and love them! I may have the bug. Heresy speakers on eBay seem affordable, I have never heard them. Thinking of buying a pair. What size amplifier would I need? My family room is 16x24. I mostly listen to music, I rarely watch movies. 

What should I watch out for buying used Heresy speakers? If the seller is rated 100% is that enough info?

• Like 1

Bought a pair of R-51PM as computer speakers and love them! I may have the bug. Heresy speakers on eBay seem affordable, I have never heard them. Thinking of buying a pair. What size amplifier would I need? My family room is 16x24. I mostly listen to music, I rarely watch movies. 

What should I watch out for buying used Heresy speakers? If the seller is rated 100% is that enough info?

Heresys are fine speakers. Any quality amplification will do. They are amazingly efficient. I have four in my home theater. Some people complain about bass response. 50 hz is adequate for most recorded music but you may want to add a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Your room is about the same size as mine with a pair of Cornwalls and two subs. Heresys sound good, but that's a big room to fill. They could still work but temper your expectations. I also recommend subs with them.

Shakey

My room is 19’ X 25’. Heresys are more than sufficient. I have used a pair for a PA for a small country/rock band.

1 hour ago, Pondoro said:

What generation are you thinking of buying?  I've owned originals, IIs and IIIs.  My preference in what sounds best to me is in that same order.  My current Heresys are 1981 (originals).  I was able to do a 3-way comparison of them all side-by-side at the same time and the original 1981s bested all of them. 

With Heresys it's best if you can buy them locally and listen and look at them first. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pondoro said:

Heresy speakers on eBay seem affordable, I have never heard them. Thinking of buying a pair. What size amplifier would I need? My family room is 16x24. I mostly listen to music, I rarely watch movies. 

I have driven my Heresys and Heresy IIs with many different stereo receivers, integrated amps, AVRs and preamp/amp combos.  I personally feel that they are not amplifier picky and can be driven with power ratings as low as a few watts to 200+ watts/channel.  My suggestion though is to look for a quality integrated amp with stereo preouts or a subwoofer preout with say maybe 75w/ch or more.

Bill

• Like 1

I run my heresys in a 25' x 18' room (7'-6" ceilings - pretty low) with an 8wpc Elekit TU8200 amp.  H3s are in the corners, with the subs just inboard on either side .

Paired with two Martin Logan Dynamo 700 subs it will easily become too loud without much effort.  Just go for quality amplification, not quantity and you'll be good 

FWIW, the RB51s are pretty sweet too. I got a pair in my office I use for computer audio.

Not sure where you live but shipping would be high. I would look for local pair so you can listen first. Im sure there is some one on the forum close to you you could go listen to theirs. But they are the best bang for the buck pretty much saved the company back in the day. If on budget I would look for series 1-or 2. Get beat up ones and just veneer them easy project to learn on. Older one s will need crossover caps. replaced but thats easy also. 

If you can afford new ones call Cory sometimes he has B stock for less. 

The amp power is not a problem get any old 70s reciever I woud recommend an HK 430 630 730.  But older pioneer will do also. 

If your in KC area come on by i got 3 of the Heritage you can hear..lol. 

10 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Heresys are fine speakers. Any quality amplification will do. They are amazingly efficient. I have four in my home theater. Some people complain about bass response. 50 hz is adequate for most recorded music but you may want to add a sub.

I agree with every point Tony made. I will say shipping costs from an eBay purchase will drive the price up significantly. I suggest watching craigslist. I hear facebook marketplace (is that what it's called?) is also good, but I have no experience with it. Be patient; Heresy's are popular and there are many out there.

Thanks everyone. Shipping is high. Lots of them say "local pickup only." Unfortunately most are on the coast or in Texas. I'm within a five hour drive from several large US cities in the midwest. I will watch for a while. Sounds like original series, slightly damaged on the outside, is the ticket.They would be in the family room, not the "show off to guests" room, so slight cosmetic damage would not bother me.

• Like 1

Post a wanted to buy listing in the Garage Sale section.  Mention where you're at and how far you're willing to travel for the right deal.  I've bought a lot of great stuff on here that way including my current Heresys for $350 less than two years ago. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I took the plunge and bought two Heresy's on eBay. Looked like a good deal, a day later a better deal showed up, I am OK. It was not crazy better, just a bit better. Drivers are good, the sides of the speakers are good, the tops are a bit ugly, like lots of stuff has been set on them. I have only driven them with my iPad (!) but they sound very nice. I have ordered an actual amplifier but do not have it yet. Serial numbers imply 1983 manufacture. No risers. How much do the risers change the sound? Are milk crates just as good? (Sorry if the milk crate question offends you 😀). I am a decent woodworker and feel confident that I can refinish the tops and also that I could make risers. I would appreciate pictures of your home-brew risers and also appreciate your reviews of those risers.

Edited by Pondoro
  • Thanks 1

Just now, billybob said:

Have some 1's here, no riser. Think if I raise them, I may lose some bass. Use no sub here, but interested to hear from more users.

Congrats!

I have a sub. Rest assured it will be tried. The sub plus powered Klipsch R-51PM's sounds very nice and is actually what sent me on this quest.

• Like 1