Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

My HS sophomore daughter is required to be online for at least 5 minutes to be counted present for the class. Classes are scheduled to be 4 hrs/day 4 days/week so the teachers can prepare which is BS. Dad requires attendance for the entire class period and at the computer not the phone.
My college freshman son's philosophy professor did a drop mic and quit, yes left A&M, in the middle of a virtual lecture this week.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, USNRET said:

My college freshman son's philosophy professor did a drop mic and quit, yes left A&M, in the middle of a virtual lecture this week.

Wow, that's unbelievable!  😲

Your son got a full PhD professor for a freshman philosophy class?!?

10 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yep. BIMS (still getting used to acronyms, BioMedical Sciences) at TAMU is a bit different. During orientation he was told that his classes / schedule were already selected and just move along. Cool, we got to leave a day early

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, USNRET said:
16 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Yep.

I'll never forget my freshman English class.  For context, freshmen never got PhD professors.  They always got a graduate a$$(istant).

So we all lumber into English class the first day and the GradAss finally gets there and begins to explain the syllabus.  One stupid co-ed who had not yet learned never to ask a question raised her hand and asked "what is your attendance policy?"

Our long-haired hippie looking instructor said (and I swear this is verbatim  from 46 years ago) "...wow man, I'll try to make it as often as I can."  Once class was over I went directly from there to the registrar's office and withdrew from my current class.  I found another section of English 1. 

Even though I was young and dumb in 1974 it was pretty apparent that class was not going to get better.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

For context, freshmen never got PhD professors.

I may be wrong (never happened before) but I think the only a$$s he has now is for the virtual labs but none prior to the lockdown. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Walking the aisles of the grocery stores and hardware store while listening to pre-recorded messages on social distancing, safe handling, etc. makes me feel like I'm inside an Orweillian story.  It has an eeriness about it.

No doubt things are a changin’. A quick stop in a WMart Neighborhood Store for some milk. Front entrance roped off for a one-way entrance, a nice fella offered a “just sanitized”cart, an older guy was sanitizing around the cash area - in Bunny ears. Orwellian or Walt Disney ? Different - yep. 

• Like 2

Japan will be the next country collapsing under covid 19?

1) Japan only has 5 ICUs per 100,000 (compare with Italy (7), Belgium (15), Germany (29)

2) Japan has a 'grey' population, older than Italy (23%), with 28% older than 65  https://www.statista.com/statistics/270087/age-distribution-in-japan/   compare: https://www.statista.com/statistics/569201/population-distribution-by-age-group-in-italy/

3)  Their constitution, written after WW2, protects the freedom of the individual against government power. Therefore, the government can only "request people to refrain from making nonessential outings". https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/04/91d83be2865b-breaking-news-japans-aichi-pref-asks-govt-to-place-it-under-state-of-emergency.html

4) Japan has a population of 130 million, with many of them little or no access to quality medical care. Their Gini coefficient is 37.9, which means there are quite a lot of wealthy people, but even more poor people. (https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/gini-coefficient-by-country/) Compare: USA (45), Belgium (29), Germany (27)

5) Japan's workers ethos (no matter what, keep working) will be working against them

6)  Many live closely together, in small apartments hooked up to shared AC systems. The virus easily survives freezing temperatures:AC.

3 hours ago, ILI said:

4) Japan has a population of 130 million, with many of them little or no access to quality medical care. Their Gini coefficient is 37.9, which means there are quite a lot of wealthy people, but even more poor people. (https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/gini-coefficient-by-country/) Compare: USA (45), Belgium (29), Germany (27)

5) Japan's workers ethos (no matter what, keep working) will be working against them

6)  Many live closely together, in small apartments hooked up to shared AC systems. The virus easily survives freezing temperatures:AC.

Japan's population peaked at 128 million a few years ago, and has been in decline ever since.  In spite of their very strong feelings against immigration, Japanese people are not producing enough babies to keep up with the death rate.  "Being Japanese" has more to do with blood than citizenship, and being born there doesn't automatically grant citizenship, thus there are many Koreans who have lived there for generations, without gaining the right to become citizens.  The attitude among many Japanese people, especially the old ones who run the government, is that immigration doesn't increase the Japanese population, it just adds to the number of foreigners to the country.

https://www.ft.com/content/29d594fa-5cf2-11e9-9dde-7aedca0a081a

If that Financial Times article is behind a paywall, this NPR article should be accessible to all:

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/21/679103541/japans-population-is-in-rapid-decline

In Canada, as in the US, seeing anyone other than a visiting Asian student wearing a filter mask in public is a rare thing.  While I don't expect to see any sudden change in this, the few Caucasians (Euro-Canadians?  Euro-Americans?) that I do see wearing masks outside hospitals are usually wearing them pulled down below their mouths, serving only to keep their chins warm.  Last week I saw a middle-aged man in the grocery store, happily shopping with his grubby formerly white respirator mask down around his chin, and I wondered if these folks don't understand the concept, or is there something else at work?  Do they think the masks are some kind of protective amulet that will keep them safe no matter how they're worn?  I kept my distance from him.

Worse than that, on TV last week during a news broadcast, a scene at an airport was shown.  I saw a middle-aged man and his young child (6-8 years old), both wearing masks, appear to have just left an airplane.  The man walked over to within two feet of an airport worker, pulled his mask below his chin, and leaned closer to the worker to ask him something.  You like to think that people will protect themselves as they see fit, but in the current situation, it's other people who are being put at risk.

Does it get worse than that?  Much worse.  On April 5th, 2020, at a Walmart store in Sherbrooke, 150 kilometres/90 miles east of Montreal, a security guard was directing traffic when a shopper lost patience and hit him with his car, accelerating away from the scene with the guard on the hood of his car, until he fell off and received serious head injuries, putting him into Intensive Care.  The 25-year-old male shopper was upset that Walmart was only allowing one person per vehicle to enter the store, meaning his girlfriend had to stay outside while he shopped.  When he came out, he lost patience with the guard directing traffic, and things got very ugly..

https://globalnews.ca/news/6781123/quebec-walmart-worker-hit-by-driver-allegedly-angered-by-covid-19-measures/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, DizRotus said:

We should consider the plight of those, mostly women, now staying at home with abusers.  It’s predictable that conditions which strain stable individuals will precipitate violence from less stable persons.

This is very true.  It was a factor in the decision by several provinces not to close liquor and beer stores during the pandemic.  It was thought that abusers without booze might become more abusive.  Of course, out-of-work drunken abusers are no picnic, either.

For the same reason, the federal government has directed more funds to the support of women's shelters.  It's sad that women have to be provided with shelters to protect them from the "men" who hurt women, physically and emotionally, especially when the abusers are intimate partners.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The small private college where I previously worked in IT (19 yrs), has 90% of faculty with doctorates or getting them (contract specifies they get one within a certain time frame). Class size approx. 14 to 1. Psych dept., had three profs, all PhDs.

• Like 2

The grocery stores, pharmacies, etc., allowed/compelled to stay open to provide essentials, should require anyone, and everyone, entering the business to wear a mask, if even just a bandanna.  Some knuckleheads don’t seem to get it that masks are more for the protection of others than for the protection of the wearer.

The dense, ignorant, or inconsiderate must, apparently, be shamed into being respectful of the safety of others.  Unfortunately, some in “charge” have repeatedly demonstrated shamelessness.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The dense, ignorant, or inconsiderate must, apparently, be shamed into being respectful of the safety of others.  Unfortunately, some in “charge” have repeatedly demonstrated shamelessness.

They call it bullying now. Shamelessness will always grow, but it seems to be on the fast track since the 80s. 

• Like 1