Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

5 minutes ago, Randyh said:

this was in 1989 -----we are in 2020-  a lot has changed for the better for the average chinese person

can't follow you down that path Randy.  The last Freedom House report that I saw, had China going in the opposite direction under Xi, and in 2016 they got their worst score EVER by the advocacy group. If you go around singing the praises of the communist government, your life probably won't be much better, but you'll avoid prison. I guess "better" depends on what one's goal for their life is. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

"They" are saying indefinite closure---until further notice---temporary is probably a relative, and nicer sounding term.  With 240 cases, the employees represent more than half the state total.  Some meat processors in Iowa and Pennsylvania have also shut down.

Not sure how many pages back that I mentioned it, but I stated that this could impact our food chain. Hopefully is doesn't, or at least produce more empty shelves.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worse. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

can't follow you down that path Randy.  The last Freedom House report that I saw, had China going in the opposite direction under Xi, and in 2016 they got their worst score EVER by the advocacy group. If you go around singing the praises of the communist government, your life probably won't be much better, but you'll avoid prison. I guess "better" depends on what one's goal for their life is. 

Freedom House

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

10 minutes ago, Randyh said:

the average chinese person   does not like the regime , and they also have a desire for change , they see the world news , they know their rights are on the rise , and there is no turning back ,  slowly , gradually ,  but you cant change everything overnight -it takes time , and if foreign cies are doing business there is what drives the changes -

Well, your having been there, can try to understand your point of view. Just, as an outsider looking into the scope of things through a bamboo curtain, you will see my problem with true transparency.

Guess past actions are enough for me to have my old school doubts.

1 hour ago, Randyh said:

DAVE  - I did not say the Chinese are Angels as far as Tibet and the Falun Gong ,  China is to blame 100%  , but if you are a normal citizen , minding your own business , you live just like in the USA ,  now if you decide to  challenge the State , then you are gravely mistaken , they dont fool around -because in a country of 1,4 billion plus -  you can't please everybody , and what we hear about are the extremes ----now as far as the laws are concerned , dont forget that they came out of a communist regime structure only 30 years ago and I can tell you stories of deaths without trials as far as 1990 , but they are modernizing , and the changes are real   , and they take time , you can't compare the USA with all the civil liberties we have , because it takes a century  , given the time , they are taking the USA as a model --

Not exactly so.  It's not like they need time to evolve into a rights-based culture.  I see nobody disputing that Xi Jin Ping is more authoritarian than his predecessors.  If anything, China is becoming more repressive.  

True, if you keep your head down and your eyes to the ground - and especially keep your mouth shut when you witness injustice - all is well.  Just eat what they are serving...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

so you're not a Wendall Wilkie fan?

I listened to this guy (in person) talking years ago about living in China and the actual dangers that he faced from the government -- including telling us stuff NOT to say in letters to him or deliveries to him. But, not going to waste my time because the Klipsch Forum Brain Trust would dispute it all somehow. 

Honestly, I didn't know the organization's history; but I do find it strange that you used wikipedia as your source.  Are they more credible than the internet at-large?  

oh yeah, off topic, but there are a bunch of you tube videos where rock stars are read stuff from the wikipedia page about them and asked if the info is true.  Like most things, some is true, some distorted, and some flat out lies. The videos are fun to watch if you like interviews. 

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

My immediate thoughts about all this got derailed a couple months ago, no problem. I still like to break through the govt bull if I can.

Those thoughts are becoming more mainstream now.

Found something else interesting in the morning quiet.

Those proteins that turn the capillaries backwards and flood the lungs with blood instead of putting oxygen into the blood...  in layman's terms and beyond.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200405061401/https://medium.com/@agaiziunas/covid-19-had-us-all-fooled-but-now-we-might-have-finally-found-its-secret-91182386efcb

Fascinating.  Thanks for the article.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

so you're not a Wendall Wilkie fan?

I listened to this guy (in person) talking years ago about living in China and the actual dangers that he faced from the government -- including telling us stuff NOT to say in letters to him or deliveries to him. But, not going to waste my time because the Klipsch Forum Brain Trust would dispute it all somehow. 

Honestly, I didn't know the organization's history; but I do find it strange that you used wikipedia as your source.  Are they more credible than the internet at-large?  

oh yeah, off topic, but there are a bunch of you tube videos where rock stars are read stuff from the wikipedia page about them and asked if the info is true.  Like most things, some is true, some distorted, and some flat out lies. The videos are fun to watch if you like interviews. 

Posted without comment, approval, or disapproval.  For informational purposes only.  Wikipedia is likely as accurate as any other internet source for things like this, as those can be challenged and changed by the organizations themselves for factual content.  You can go straight to the source of their website if you like and also draw your own conclusions, but how is reading someone's own public persona and advertisements any more, or less biased?

https://freedomhouse.org/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Randyh said:

well , I can only tell you what I see with my own eyes and how families , I know who live there have seen immense changes  , they are now much better off than they used to -  now when you live in China , Big Brother is not a concern  for the common man -  it is their day to day life that counts and  100%  there is no comparison between 1974 and 2020 ,  it is a radical change for the better ----light years ahead , and every trip I take , I am amazed as how fast the changes are for the better , for the average person -----   the rich are however , in  another class of their own , money and influence certainly increases all the time -

Hong Kong and Taiwan are models of what China's path could have been.  While things for many Chinese are improving (provided that go along and don't make waves), there are entire classes of people who are suffering more. 

The mass detentions of Uyghurs and Falun Gong are 2 examples.  I won't pretend to know the complete truth of the extent of the human rights violations, but I routinely see reputable sources report that up to 2 million people have been put in re-education detention centers and forced to assimilate to Han culture and perform forced labor. 

Organ harvesting is widely reported, too.  I have seen exposes/documentary footage (which I would hope were fake news), where actual arrangements of the organ harvesting process are being discussed and recorded.  You can pay something like $50,000 for a heart/kidney/etc., and it will be guaranteed to be healthy.  If it the transplant fails, you get another within a week.  You can pick your schedule.  There is no shortage.  They just pick a detainee with the right blood type (which they maintain records of), and "that's it."

I could not imagine living in a society with these sorts of practices and just having to go on about my day and ignore it.