Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

14 minutes ago, Randyh said:

Actually the Chinese immigration is non-stop out of China , they are leaving China and coming to North America as fast as they can , because living in China has become plain prohibitive ---the cies who open factories in China GM-Ford- etc sell more cars in China per year than the entire world combined -name me , 1 American Cie who does not have offices in China - Klipsch-Eminence-JBL-  etc - - I dont see them complain about human rights , because they are getting better -

Yet, change overall comes with a price. Now it seems like the regime has been forced underground due to the counter measures taken to disentangle

what occurs, not in the light of day.

Just doesn't appear to be a rosy

Walk in the park, contrary to what 

It appears to be on the surface.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You can go straight to the source of their website if you like and also draw your own conclusions, but how is reading someone's own public persona and advertisements any more, or less biased?

interesting point. my gut reaction is that people that are without bias (which I would say is extremely rare) probably aren't publicly commenting on matters of any subject, on this forum or any media outlet. 

Shame on me for referencing an organization that I really didn't know much about. But, I have heard first hand, from someone that lives there, of what they face from that authoritarian regime, so my bias led to conclude that Freedom House was probably more right then wrong on this. No desire to go to China to find out for myself. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 3:56 PM, billybob said:

Yet, change overall cones with a price. Now it seems like the regime has been forced underground due to the counter measures taken to disentangle

what occurs, not in the light of day.

Just doesn't appear to be a rosy

Walk in the park, contrary to what 

It

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You have to wonder what the credentials are of the person writing that article.

that is correct, although I was making a joke ... I often do a small bit of research of an article's author (not always evidenced by my earlier post). Someone once sent me an article about race relations in the USA. I looked up the author to see some of his other writings ... it was a long list of one-sided articles, proof to me that his articles clearly weren't unbiased observations. 

I think most people have agendas regardless of the topic, but when someone is 100% negative about a person (for instance) to me that puts their credibility in question. 

If every time person A said something to you about person B and it was something negative, it shouldn't take long for you to realize that they have a problem with person B.  So, for me, I don't pay much attention to their rants about person B -- and while person B may be an jerk, I consider person A to be a jerk too. But, I'm weird ... I'm more interested in someone's reaction than I am to the actual event. 

dang, how did I go from a joke to a serious statement so quickly?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, USNRET said:

Is this the wrong place to ask? Corona related

Son attends Texas A&M College Station.
He lives in apartment not affiliated with A&M except that the apt. corp. leased the dirt for 30 years from TAMU. 
He (we) signed a lease for one year 8/2019 to 8/2020.

He decided to move from a 2 bd to a 4 bd to share with his high school buds for Fall 2020 term (another year).
Discount if you sign lease early on the new place early so I did. BS charges but that's another story.

During spring break in March ( date?) the virus hit and in person classes were canceled.

Now that there are only online classes I am paying $700 a month for the apt and the boy is living at home.
The complex refuses to refund/reduce current lease. 
The complex refuses to nullify upcoming 8/2020 -8/2021 lease
Word (web rumor) is that TAMU summer 2020 will be online only and those courses have been loaded.

Do I even stand a chance of getting a refund or lease(s) nullified due to My Corona?

I'd pay a $ or 2  to our forum litigators 

FWIW...

For all my career, I've drafted/reviewed "God knows how many" contracts with force majeure clauses.  I have litigated many provisions in contracts, but I have never had a controversy where a force majeure clause was invoked.

Wiki provides a rudimentary analysis.  Essentially, a "force majeure" (a/k/a Act of God) will not excuse performance of contractual obligations unless the contract expressly contains a force majeure clause and describes the particular act/event which would trigger it.

However, there is the common law of "frustration of purpose.

You can bet your bottom dollar, a lot of disputes will hit the courts over the extent to which this pandemic excuses performance.  Already, we've tread into murky waters over Constitutional violations by federal, state and local governments.  

We''ll have to see how it pans out.

• Like 1

I went back and read the contact; no such clause is in there. I can ask permission to get out of the upcoming August lease but it's up to them to grant. Son tells me that there are already rumors about Fall 2020 being online as well. That frustration of purpose seems to fit. Every resident MUST be enrolled at TAMU C.S. what the point of living there if there are no classes to attend.

Anyway I knew I was doomed to pay 3 more months but I have to really consider asking now to be released for the next year. Would suk if classes were held as it's a nice place and walking distance to campus.

28 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

interesting point. my gut reaction is that people that are without bias (which I would say is extremely rare) probably aren't publicly commenting on matters of any subject, on this forum or any media outlet. 

Shame on me for referencing an organization that I really didn't know much about. But, I have heard first hand, from someone that lives there, of what they face from that authoritarian regime, so my bias led to conclude that Freedom House was probably more right then wrong on this. No desire to go to China to find out for myself. 

Exactly.  They were also wrong on apartheid and many Latin American dictatorships.  Notice the 85% funding from our government.  As you point out, except for actual facts, a lack of bias is extremely rare.

4 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I went back and read the contact; no such clause is in there. I can ask permission to get out of the upcoming August lease but it's up to them to grant. Son tells me that there are already rumors about Fall 2020 being online as well.

Here's what usually happens in deals like these:

Client makes a judgment call.  Stops paying and hopes he never gets a demand letter from landlord.  If he does, he makes a decision.  Pay or don't.  If he doesn't, he hopes he isn't sued.  If he's sued...

You get the idea.  Sometimes, it pays to default; other times, a default costs you more than if you paid in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The WHO and transparency:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/5e8d196323eec60017f0ee31

This politically correct clown is from Canada (Dr. Bruce Aylwardand has had his entire WHO history scrubbed from the WHO web site. Now if could also make his photographs disappear Stalin would approve.

Wb

Well blaming doctors on a committee, looks like a deflection from the taking of responsibility when you are in charge. Biasness towards China run amuck?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

The WHO and transparency:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/5e8d196323eec60017f0ee31

This politically correct clown is from Canada (Dr. Bruce Aylwardand has had his entire WHO history scrubbed from the WHO web site. Now if could also make his photographs disappear Stalin would approve.

Wb

And Poof‼️ he reappears, but not as quickly as he disappeared! Now listed at the bottom of the page (below even that of a dead guy from Australia).

Wb

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Interesting!  I didn't know that high security clearance meant you had to roll over every time you get sued.  

DOD every 10 years
D.H.S. every 5...dam near lost it last time because I forgot to enter a traffic ticket from 1983.

10 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Interesting!  I didn't know that high security clearance meant you had to roll over every time you get sued.  

there is a belief (one that i don’t believe is even close to being widespread) that a person in financial straits is more likely to compromise things entrusted to them in order to alleviate their financial woes. i’m sure it has happened, but they don’t often give the person the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 1