Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

15 minutes ago, sputnik said:

So, are you willing to sacrifice the lives of any of your children or grandchildren to protect an average worker’s job, a small business, or markets?  I think there are better ways.  How much is a life worth?  The risk-reward equation is not comparable to driving a car. 

Your question is as though it death of children and grandchildren will happen if we breath. How many children die in car accidents, every day?

11 minutes ago, sputnik said:

So, are you willing to sacrifice the lives of any of your children or grandchildren to protect an average worker’s job, a small business, or markets?  I think there are better ways.  How much is a life worth?  The risk-reward equation is not comparable to driving a car. 

Didn't read all the recent pages, but if your talking about things starting to roll again?

Heck the 6 feet will be hard to accomplish in many situations. Masks forever would be awful but bet we could deal with that until 2021(arbitrary future date). Universal Precautions are in order if it's still called that look it up. I had to brainwash myself with those ideas prior to getting on the transplant list so you could change habits if you tried hard enough too! I have had to live with those germaphobe ideals for almost twenty years and it is a habit just like putting boogers at the hems of my jeans leg used to be, had to keep the truck clean;)

Everything or every situation is not all or nothing. Don't buy into that.

If our economy cannot get back to sustaining life then what would the future look like for anyone? Especially everyone's grandkids and other young relatives.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Help me?  Help me come around to your way of thinking?  What a joke.

I'm not trying to change your mind on anything rather trying to keep you active on the forum by asking questions that I hoped would let you see why some might take offense with your posts.  You don't need to agree with me or my thoughts on matters but of course you know that.

• Moderators

In my opinion if we do not get this economy up and running again life as we know it will no longer exist. How exactly are we going to provide a relatively stable existence for our country or this planet for that matter.

For all of you that disagree with a structured reopening of the economy please share your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• Moderators
I'm not trying to change your mind on anything rather trying to keep you active on the forum by asking questions that I hoped would let you see why some might take offense with your posts.  You don't need to agree with me or my thoughts on matters but of course you know that.

Yes! This 100 per cent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Questions and dialog are key to understanding and developing a bridge between the ideologies. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

In my opinion if we do not get this economy up and running again life as we know it will no longer exist. How exactly are we going to provide a relatively stable existence for our country or this planet for that matter.

For all of you that disagree with a structured reopening of the economy please share your thoughts.

Poverty Kills.  We stay locked longer, there's going to be a lot of poverty.

• Thanks 1

Me thinks the back and forth and questioning of ones draft status and how he/she served is way off base and hardly relevant. Jim served, makes no difference if he volunteered or was drafted. And really no one’s business how or why he served. I was of Vietnam service age and had the infamous “lottery” numbers. I was 10 numbers from being called to report when the war ended. Did I volunteer, no; would I have reported, yes. The draft thing really has no business in the virus arguments - regardless which way one leans 

• Like 4

• Moderators
Me thinks the back and forth and questioning of ones draft status and how he/she served is way off base and hardly relevant. Jim served, makes no difference if he volunteered or was drafted. And really no one’s business how or why he served. I was of Vietnam service age and had the infamous “lottery” numbers. I was 10 numbers from being called to report when the war ended. Did I volunteer, no; would I have reported, yes. The draft thing really has no business in the virus arguments - regardless which way one leans 

I agree. I’m trying to keep this thread open and on topic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

I'm not sure where James was going with that or where it came from.  Maybe he can clarify.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Poverty Kills.  We stay locked longer, there's going to be a lot of poverty.

It’s already affecting a lot of people. Some folks are just not able to prepare for emergency situations, whether it’s hurricanes, earthquakes a pandemic or whatever.

A lot of people can only buy groceries for a few days at a time. Single moms, waitresses, unsupported college students and many more. Food banks are being over run. Utilities will eventually be disconnected, landlords will eventually evict.

Of course there’s that segment of society that will spend every penny they are given on frivolous things. It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is there will be NOTHING left to humanity if we don’t get to work on our economy. We can’t sit here twiddling our thumbs and BSing this virus and its cures and treatments to death. Mankind can not survive that long without serious repercussions.

As for the ugliness....please just be kind and respectful

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dtel's wife said:

It’s already affecting a lot of people. Some folks are just not able to prepare for emergency situations, whether it’s hurricanes, earthquakes a pandemic or whatever.

A lot of people can only buy groceries for a few days at a time. Single moms, waitresses, unsupported college students and many more. Food banks are being over run. Utilities will eventually be disconnected, landlords will eventually evict.

Of course there’s that segment of society that will spend every penny they are given on frivolous things. It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is there will be NOTHING left to humanity if we don’t get to work on our economy. We can’t sit here twiddling our thumbs and BSing this virus and it’s cures and treatments to death. Mankind can not survive that long without serious repercussions.

As for the ugliness....please just be kind and respectful

If you are broke, you don't get proper nutrition, don't seek dr's assistance when required, and typically live in an environment which is less than beneficial to their health and well being.  The whole underlying issue on why the virus affected many minority groups more and why we needed to get the employment rate up against those groups.  It just didn't last long enough and can't be substituted with hand outs like the current one from the govt.  Higher health risks due to not having the type of care and help they need for a long life with minimal issues like diabetes and hypertension. Stress, diet, and overall well being contribute a lot to that.

• Moderators
Yes and one of the main reasons why fake news is labeled fake news and the label sticks because it is true. A deliberate misrepresentation of what was said or done.

The problem is exacerbated further when others “share” and spread the fake news on social media when they full well know that’s not the intent of the speaker.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Yes, the system will be running again - everyone wants that. The re-engagement must be based on science for it to be a valid “structured reopening” and not some politician’s empty rhetoric meant to still up a reactionary base.  In the full context of that quote he said workers, small business, and the markets were being “crushed” and was implying that we’ll being going over the cliff if we continue to take the precautionary measures that are proving to be effective at slowing the spread of a deadly virus.  Is another few weeks of caution too much sacrifice to protect lives including the lives of our children.  Schools would also be re-opened and are Petri dishes for virus spread with each child wallowing in the mix and then going home for further spread - they are ideal vectors.

I think we’re all assessing what sacrifice we are willing to make for the greater good.  One side says “get the economy rolling to protect our livelihoods and wealth even at the cost of a few lives” the other says “sacrifice a few hits to our wealth and livelihoods for a bit longer (certainly not forever) to protect lives.”  I fall in the second group because, even as a capitalist, I think that we’ll build a stronger economy in the long run rather than accelerating along with the same thinking that put the economy on thin ice to begin with.  The economy was fragile, if it wasn’t the virus that triggered a collapse, it would’ve been something else.  A correction is needed whether we like how it feels or not but I don’t want to keep repeating it.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes, the system will be running again - everyone wants that. The re-engagement must be based on science for it to be a valid “structured reopening” and not some politician’s empty rhetoric meant to still up a reactionary base.  In the full context of that quote he said workers, small business, and the markets were being “crushed” and was implying that we’ll being going over the cliff if we continue to take the precautionary measures that are proving to be effective at slowing the spread of a deadly virus.  Is another few weeks of caution too much sacrifice to protect lives including the lives of our children.  Schools would also be re-opened and are Petri dishes for virus spread with each child wallowing in the mix and then going home for further spread - they are ideal vectors.

I think we’re all assessing what sacrifice we are willing to make for the greater good.  One side says “get the economy rolling to protect our livelihoods and wealth even at the cost of a few lives” the other says “sacrifice a few hits to our wealth and livelihoods for a bit longer (certainly not forever) to protect lives.”  I fall in the second group because, even as a capitalist, I think that we’ll build a stronger economy in the long run rather than accelerating along with the same thinking that put the economy on thin ice to begin with.  The economy was fragile, if it wasn’t the virus that triggered a collapse, it would’ve been something else.  A correction is needed whether we like how it feels or not but I don’t want to keep repeating it.

So what do you propose as a solution for those who can’t feed their families or will be facing eviction or no utilities? No transportation to and from work because their vehicles will be repossessed? Are you willing to offer to pay their bills?

Are you saying the responsibility to reopen with caution lies with the state and local government or that the federal government should just take complete control.

There are no easy answers.

• Like 1