Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

Around here chicken has been very hard to obtain.  Now, people have started hoarding meat in response to predicted shortages as stated by the major companies which control our food supply.  It makes me wonder whether this situation is contrived.  Once people can’t get the food they need for their families we are going to be in big trouble.  I don’t understand why Smithfield, for example, has not provided their healthy workers with full hazmat protection to keep production rolling (of course, they are owned by a Chinese company).  I believe Nestle has predicted a vast meat shortage as well.  What is being done with all the animals which would otherwise be processed?  We already know that dairy farmers are dumping their entire milk yield.

Maynard

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Around here chicken has been very hard to obtain.  Now, people have started hoarding meat in response to predicted shortages as stated by the major companies which control our food supply.  It makes me wonder whether this situation is contrived.  Once people can’t get the food they need for their families we are going to be in big trouble.  I don’t understand why Smithfield, for example, has not provided their healthy workers with full hazmat protection to keep production rolling (of course, they are owned by a Chinese company).  I believe Nestle has predicted a vast meat shortage as well.  What is being done with all the animals which would otherwise be processed?  We already know that dairy farmers are dumping their entire milk yield.

Maynard

I brought this up the other day.  The fact that people/businesses aren't buying much, scarcity of $$ due to restaurants and things (impending poverty for one), then add on top the "skittish" meat industry (I agree with you, you probably don't need to shut down as COVID hasn't been linked to food sources).. the farmers and industry are cutting back.  The domino effect of all this is going across our lives in ways nobody ever thought.  Add to that the discussions that the banks are being held up by the Federal Govt from impending collapse and then you think, no food, no savings, hmm seems to translate into no future.  Things better get going again so the pipelines can get filled.  This country and efficiencies that made it grate to live here wasn't built to be turned off.

BTW, farmers are plowing under fields and euthanizing animals.  A not so very simple fix.

9 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

"skittish" meat industry (I agree with you, you probably don't need to shut down as COVID hasn't been linked to food sources).

Skittish?  It's not about the food, it's about the workers.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/04/22/meat-packing-plants-covid-may-force-choice-worker-health-food/2995232001/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

So you look at that picture, you say you can't do half the throughput by not having people sit on top of each other?  There are some things that you have to be careful with and some would rather take the write-off than to settle for less.  

So yes it is about the workers but there are mitigations that producers won't allow since it will raise prices and costs which the end consumer might not want to bare.  

I knew farmers that would rather not sell their feed because they would not get the price needed.  Add in the extra cost of processing today and maybe it isn't lucrative enough.

You have to draw the line someplace and figure out what the real motivation is.

2 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I worry about the trucking industry too. So limited as to where they can stop to eat, shower and stuff, then head many miles and possibly accidentally spread the virus.  

Maybe because some of the closures are too heavy handed.  Like having stores only open 1/3 of the day when they used to be open 24hrs.  Now people are on top of everyone.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

BTW, from the article:

"The meatpacking industry already has been notorious for poor working conditions even before the coronavirus pandemic. Meat and poultry employees have among the highest illness rates of all manufacturing employees and are less likely to report injuries and illness than any other type of worker, federal watchdog reports have found. 

And the plants have been called out numerous times for refusing to let their employees use the bathroom, even to wash their hands – one of the biggest ways to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. "

Tell me it is about the worker.  It is about the money.  Mitigations can be put in place to reduce impacts if they wanted.  They all have waivers to allow this to continue.

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Injecting disinfectant is one thing but...Could you imagine dialysis using UV rays? 

Who would have thought you could suck the blood out of your body 100 yrs ago and clean the waste.  Why not clean out the virus with UV? 😁

UVC light in the 220-260Nm range is an effective way to sterilize surfaces and has been used in labs and hospitals for some time.   It might be effective for CV19 as it is for other corona viruses.  Trump just had to dumb it up some.

https://news.columbia.edu/ultraviolet-technology-virus-covid-19-UV-light

I have an old UVC lamp that was touted as a therapy for various ailments mid century.  It’s a cool lamp with a clever design and does emit UVC covering the 253Nm wavelength but the suggested applications were medical quackery.  Interesting and sometimes scary vintage video link below - especially for any baby boomer science geeks.  What else do you have to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Open up and say AHHHHHHH....it's good for you, I promise!!

spraygun lysol.gif

Better than drinking Clorox though Alcohol is supposed to kill the virus though needs to be 50%.  Anyone for Rum 151?

38 minutes ago, sputnik said:

UVC light in the 220-260Nm range is an effective way to sterilize surfaces and has been used in labs and hospitals for some time.   It might be effective for CV19 as it is for other corona viruses.  Trump just had to dumb it up some.

https://news.columbia.edu/ultraviolet-technology-virus-covid-19-UV-light

Yes, have the lights in my A/C units also.  Should be helpful.

Mmmm......   after reading all the hoopla here about Trump’s “suggestions” I had to review his actual words. In reality he made ‘no’ “suggestions” - he asked ‘questions. ‘IS’ there a way to use disinfectant in the body? ‘CAN’ we use UV light inside the body? Agreed they’re outlandish even as questions...... but IMHO no more outlandish than many statements advanced by people on this thread. It’d be nice if folks would stop rewording facts for their own purposes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

Mmmm......   after reading all the hoopla here about Trump’s “suggestions” I had to review his actual words. In reality he made ‘no’ “suggestions” - he asked ‘questions. ‘IS’ there a way to use disinfectant in the body? ‘CAN’ we use UV light inside the body? Agreed they’re outlandish even as questions...... but IMHO no more outlandish than many statements advanced by people on this thread. It’d be nice if folks would stop rewording facts for their own purposes.

Yes, can't agree more.  There is a bunch of stuff about injecting Lysol and such and the articles site well Trump said to clean our insides out or something similar.  Way too much of that but hey, it makes for a story.  Anyone who would do that or drink fish bowl cleaner..  I am saddened that folks can't figure that much out...  

49 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

You are correct, but he shouldn't be tossing out things like this in presentations. From CNN:

Then, he asked aides on camera whether zapping patients with light or injecting disinfectant into the lungs to clean sick patients from inside could cure them of the disease.

"Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Again I say maybe you can, maybe you can't. I'm not a doctor. I'm like a person who has a good you-know-what," Trump said, pointing to his head."

• Moderators

You are correct, but he shouldn't be tossing out things like this in presentations. From CNN:

Then, he asked aides on camera whether zapping patients with light or injecting disinfectant into the lungs to clean sick patients from inside could cure them of the disease.

"Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Again I say maybe you can, maybe you can't. I'm not a doctor. I'm like a person who has a good you-know-what," Trump said, pointing to his head."

He asked if was being tested or researched although my memory could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1