Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators

Just curious.  Are you implying that you trust sources like Next News Network (sic) over what you call “mainstream” media?

I don’t trust any of them. I did, in fact read the Snopes article cited. Very biased IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I read.a Texas town is allowing restaurants to reopen their patios for dining.  Makes me wonder what, if any, changes we'll see when the rest of the country is open.  Will the server that brings my plate, with their thumb, horribly close to my food stop busing the tables of people that already left. I hate it when I see the server put their fingers in dirty glasses so they can carry four of five of them, grabbing a handful of dirty utensils, then with those same hands, bringing me my food. I doubt the servers wash their hands after clearing each table. Oh yeah, and how many tables are wiped with that same rag?

I went to an Outback Steakhouse several years ago. I walk in and the hostess is draped over the podium at the entrance and she is telling a co-worker has she has the flu. Then she walks us to our table and hands us silverware. I immediately got up and got new silverware.

I predict there will be no change in behavior. 

We used to eat at a national burger chain (Not the Mickey D, BK type), we liked the fries. Had to ask someone to clean our table, it and the floor was a mess. Looking around the place just didn’t look clean which said volumes about management and training. Haven’t been back since. Another similar chain opened basically across the street, the difference in cleanliness and number of people walking around keeping things neat was amazing, and reassuring the damn place was well managed/trained. We now go there —

As an aside I once helped a buddy with his business of servicing/replacing refrigerator/cooler door gaskets. I was in a lot of kitchens both mom and pops and high end. Trust me - if you want to continue eating out Do Not visit a restaurant kitchen. And Never examine things from on your hands and knees — Never Ever

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I (seriously) knew a guy that said he got his news from Penthouse magazine because ... "they're not afraid to print the truth."  He did also say that Russia was controlling our weather. 

Covered many times by Art Bell Show about the weather.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

We used to eat at a national burger chain (Not the Mickey D, BK type), we liked the fries. Had to ask someone to clean our table, it and the floor was a mess. Looking around the place just didn’t look clean which said volumes about management and training. Haven’t been back since. Another similar chain opened basically across the street, the difference in cleanliness and number of people walking around keeping things neat was amazing, and reassuring the damn place was well managed/trained. We now go there —

As an aside I once helped a buddy with his business of servicing/replacing refrigerator/cooler door gaskets. I was in a lot of kitchens both mom and pops and high end. Trust me - if you want to continue eating out Do Not visit a restaurant kitchen. And Never examine things from on your hands and knees — Never Ever

Being OCD, I seem to notice things that many that I'm with don't notice. Like the fast food drive-thrus have have trash cans before you get to the window and you sit in line watching other people clean their cars and put their hands into the overflowing trash can to cram their stuff in ... then get to the window and hand their money or bank card to the worker.  I went to one place in SoCal and visible in the trash can was a box for an anal ****** for men.  Why is that in someone's car? Don't answer ... didn't eat there and never went back.  Did feel sorry for the workers. 

Or one place that had their rest rooms outside and you sit in the drive thru line and watch the employee come out the bathroom with the headset on (taking orders while on the toilet?), or you see the worker taking out the trash and 10 seconds later they are at the window handing you your food and it would have been impossible to wash their hands that quick.

Or the guy that came out of the public bathroom stall, didn't wash his hands, but grabbed a paper towel and dried them off. I'm shocked, why are you drying your hands if you didn't wash them?

pigs I tell you. 

• Like 3

Entered a Penthouse short story contest for amatuer writers. First prize,  $5000. This around 82?

Never got a reply to my submission. A couple of issues later, there is a story like mine combined possibly by other contest entries. Oh well, guess it worked for them. Nothing ever said further about contest. LoL

Science Fiction

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Eating out is highly overrated when [mention]dtel [/mention] is a darn good cook. I’m a pretty cook as well, but he does most of the cooking/grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After my divorce, I ate out EVERY meal, EVERY day. I'm just a horrible cook as hard as I've tried. Probably got a cooking complex or something. when I was in my early 20s, I was at my Grandmother's house and decided to cook some chicken. She came into the kitchen with her purse and tried to give me money telling me to "Go buy a dress."  I was raised in a Portuguese household, my grandparents were born in the "Old Country" and viewed things a bit differently than Americans. Men did NOTHING around the house. I got to admit, it was nice being woke up with my Grandma bring me coffee that I drank in bed while my breakfast was being cooked, then while I was eating breakfast she'd make my bed. 

When my parents got killed and I got shipped off the the "other" side of the family, I'll never forget the first Saturday I was there. I said I was going outside to play and I was asked if I'd made my bed and cleaned my room.  I was caught off-guard never having done any of that in my nine years of life ... I said, "why would I do that, I have three sisters now."  Well, I was quickly and sternly told the ways things were going to be from there on out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deang said:

We have now had as many deaths in a month as the flu takes out in a year - and that’s with mitigation controls in place. 

Still think “it’s just like the flu”?

Little different than the flu since we know how to manage the flu to some extent and still have that many deaths in a year with semi-herd immunity.  Think about it if it was our first rodeo with the normal flue as this one was COVID.  Either is pretty horrid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I read.a Texas town is allowing restaurants to reopen their patios for dining.  

Yes, that would be right where I live.  The patio at the Mexican restaurant less than a mile from my house was packed Friday afternoon when I drove past to the grocery store.  There was a queue of maybe a dozen people waiting to be seated in the parking lot just outside the patio area. Ironically, that was the last restaurant that I ate at prior to the shutdown (March 13).  I think I'll wait it out a while longer before I eat at a restaurant.

• Like 3

The Good Lord smiled on me today ... I found paper towels AND toilet paper!  Did an Instacart order for delivery and got 90% of what I asked for. They didn't have the Clorox cleaning wipes, one canned good item, and the Uncle Ben's Spanish Rice (the kind you microwave) but got everything else. It's fun shopping on the computer, it's feels like it's free (ask me when the $250 credit card charge shows up).

Strangely, my personal shopper looks to be about 75 years old. One would think that he would be self-isolating and not working in a job that requires him to spend his days at a grocery store. hmmm, wonder if I slip him a $20, if he'll go to the liquor store and buy me a bottle of bourbon?

• Like 3

From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

“CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza.”

• Like 1

As to question as to what I would have done differently - I sure wouldn’t have wasted six weeks denying the inevitable, and doing nothing. Shelter in place and masks should have been ordered as soon as it started moving across state lines. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Little different than the flu since we know how to manage the flu to some extent and still have that many deaths in a year with semi-herd immunity.  Think about it if it was our first rodeo with the normal flue as this one was COVID.  Either is pretty horrid.

That's true. We've been there. With no herd immunity and no vaccine, H1N1 took out 50 million people, which is exactly why they should have been way out ahead of this one.

46 minutes ago, Deang said:

As to question as to what I would have done differently - I sure wouldn’t have wasted six weeks denying the inevitable, and doing nothing. Shelter in place and masks should have been ordered as soon as it started moving across state lines. 

If you were in charge you’d have gotten the same advice Trump did which was based upon massaged info from China and the WHO. So unless your crystal ball works differently you’d likely have made similar decisions or perhaps worse ones. Look around the planet. America is not on the low end of performance with this response.  I’d have done some different things as well. I would not have pulled the plug entirely on the WHO. We need their existing networks now. Defunding them was far too drastic and counterproductive. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Deang said:

As to question as to what I would have done differently - I sure wouldn’t have wasted six weeks denying the inevitable, and doing nothing.

I agree, but a Monday morning quarterback can see what should have happened.  Trump was trying to restrict travel, but there were several against him.

During a March 12 press conference Biden said, the United States should not be overly dismissive of the outbreak, “but neither should we panic or fall back on xenophobia, labeling COVID-19 a foreign virus does not displace accountability for the misjudgments that have been taken thus far by the Trump administration.”

51 minutes ago, Deang said:

Shelter in place and masks should have been ordered as soon as it started moving across state lines. 

And the people who were supposed to know said there was no need to. 

Again, no country around the world got it right. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1