Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

• Moderators

I can’t link to the original WaPo article but here is another report.  I know the Salon is left leaning but .........
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/26/study-out-of-13-hours-of-trumps-coronavirus-briefings-just-45-minutes-of-empathy-for-victims_partner/

An interesting article in Psychology Today:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/talking-apes/202004/do-conservatives-view-trump-differently-liberals

Both are left leaning. Just browsed through them. Ugghhh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, Woofers and Tweeters said:

We will not know for a while, if ever. Like you, not trolling: Why would someone who knew more that anyone else, maybe more than everyone else, not call bs and tell everyone to distance, masks will help and that the WHO / China should share more info? 

Perhaps to live to fight another day in order to work from the inside to prevent a complete train wreck and I don’t recall that he was that late in recommending PPE.  If he called BS, he would’ve been gone.  It’s well known that within the Trump circle, advisors have to tread lightly to soothe Trump’s ego in order to be effective eventually where it matters. 

I didn’t vote for Trump or Hillary. I am learning that many have a different idea of what a president should be than i do.  Now, i’m still in my 50s but have been around the block a few times and i’ve NEVER looked to any president as my moral compass, i’ve never looked to any president for sympathy. Maybe it’s the way i grew up that i’ve always held people with a large degree of suspicion. 

I spent a career in a crisis response organization and the white house is not a first responder and rightfully so. 

i hope the presidents will be moral and empathetic sure; but when i did vote, i wasn’t voting for a spiritual advisor or a friend -- provide law & order, protect me from foreign invasion and let the states govern themselves to the fullest extent possible -- do those things and i’ll probably say you did your job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel's wife said:

I don’t trust Fauci and haven’t since the beginning. Follow the money.

Agreed.  I said he reminded me of Lord Farquaad on Shrek 1.  He seemed like he enjoyed what was happening and the control way too much

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Exactly. Fauci is the one that is the expert. That’s why Trump brought him on board for the Task Force -

--let's hope that scientists have a solution on the horizon -  -

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

If Trump is following the money, it is not bc he means to. He has his faults, and a lot of them, but he has proven too many times that is is not swayed by money or pressure. 

Fauci is the one in the know. He knew from  the start that masks would help and distancing was key. 

And that is the problem.  It was known that some things that were not recommended by the team would have been beneficial.  Trying to steer the public by providing not too accurate information, for some reason... hopefully the right reason though it seemed to me that it was bunk, even at the time.

The other thing was who was doing the modeling?  Where did the assumptions come from?  Training of AI and real models takes good input and iterative data updates to come up with something close but I can't believe we could have been so far off for so long.

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

oh yeah, i will say that i think restricting travel was a good idea and should have happened sooner and been as restrictive as my powers allowed. Politics be damned. 

I vote to put you in charge -----experience speaks , the Military are trained to handle emergency crisis -we should trust them in this Covid 19 pandemic

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

There is too much of a rush to put out information, and there are still so many questions; yet they’re already telling us how the second wave is going to be. 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going to happen next. 

Scroll down to the bar graph showing total cases per day. Based on that, what do you think is going to happen?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

After seeing a temporary decline, we are now back to about 8000 cases per day.

Someone should have said, "Okay, Georgia is going to do this. Tell everyone to hold on - let's see what happens. "

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

Really? I guess we have not been watching the same Daily Task Force briefings.

Well really not political.... He seems to be the one who wants to save the day and plays down any other possible contributions.  So not political just one sided.

He has the knowledge though wants to make sure that we follow the old guidelines and time lines, with no real urgency, you know like lives are in the balance.

Annoying to watch.

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what is going to happen next. 

Scroll down to the bar graph showing total cases per day. Based on that, what do you think is going to happen?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

After seeing a temporary decline, we are now back to about 8000 cases per day.

Someone should have said, "Okay, Georgia is going to do this. Tell everyone to hold on - let's see what happens. "

The bad part of these charts is that they are based on testing which is bogus.  Bad input = bad output.

If you allowed random sampling vs how it is done now, we might have a better percentage to gauge the actuals against.  Until that happens, the COVID numbers are really just that, numbers.

• Moderators
Well really not political.... He seems to be the one who wants to save the day and plays down any other possible contributions.  So not political just one sided.
He has the knowledge though wants to make sure that we follow the old guidelines and time lines, with no real urgency, you know like lives are in the balance.
Annoying to watch.

So, you have drawn these conclusions from watching the Task Force briefings or no?

• Like 1

It's hard to model because of lack of testing. The work around is to base your model on a country that did do extensive testing - I'm sure they did this. Variables would be population density and amount of applied mitigation controls. 

2 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

So, you have drawn these conclusions from watching the Task Force briefings or no?

Yes, now add in all the other interviews... doesn't look promising.  Shall I say, only one party matters.  I'm not sure it is a political party.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Perhaps to live to fight another day in order to work from the inside to prevent a complete train wreck and I don’t recall that he was that late in recommending PPE.  If he called BS, he would’ve been gone.  It’s well known that within the Trump circle, advisors have to tread lightly to soothe Trump’s ego in order to be effective eventually where it matters. 

How do you know these things? You have some kind of “insider” knowledge or did you draw these conclusions based on what you’ve read and heard. I’m just curious.

Fauci was that late in recommending masks. He didn’t recommend them until the last week or two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pzannucci said:

The bad part of these charts is that they are based on testing which is bogus.  Bad input = bad output.

If you allowed random sampling vs how it is done now, we might have a better percentage to gauge the actuals against.  Until that happens, the COVID numbers are really just that, numbers.

They don't show the unknowns, but do show the knowns. We certainly have known cases and known deaths. It's not like they're imaginary.