Corona Virus Disease/(SARS-CoV-2) II

CECAA850

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Something you say often.  I guess you don't think you should be under it.  Authoritarians never do.

Because it works. Too many threads getting locked, modified and vanished.  

Sure I should be. If people were to be jailed for texting while driving, there would be less of it. The same for people keep typing the bs that gets threads wrenched on. It has nothing to do with your authoritarian tweet. 

15 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Nyborg was still there as of my last post.  So let me guess---you love the ban hammer but not the edit hammer when it happens to you?

14 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Because people fall in love with their own turds?  It's going to get flushed anyway, what is the problem?

I have known others who argue like you. Most men know to not chase every rabbit, and most women know how to get them to chase anyway: By bringing up something false, and that has nothing to do with what was being talked about. A soon as one thing comes close to being settled, you fabricate more foolishness in forms of questions or statement to keep arguing. You just like to argue. 

What exactly was fabricated?  For example, you brought up your nyborg post, and I was surprised it got cut because until then I wasn't aware of it.  We could pm to get more to the point, it is not so much an argument as it is a perspective.

The latest "wrenchable" event started when someone decided to bring up the ban hammer.  The previous one started when someone mentioned a recent national event.  I'm sorry about your plutonium post because I liked it and our discussion showed that.  Neither of these events come slightly close to meriting a ban.

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The latest "wrenchable" event started when someone decided to bring up the ban hammer.  The previous one started when someone mentioned a recent national event.  I'm sorry about your plutonium post because I liked it and our discussion showed that.  Neither of these events come slightly close to meriting a ban.

There would be less wrenching if people were awarded a vacation when they, deliberately, make inflammatory posts in threads that, quite often, have nothing to do with the main topic. You're smarter than this, why do you keep this up? 

A lot of people spend a lot of time reading and researching, and/or they live in the trenches and they come here to share information about what they know or have found. They make lengthy posts and others either corroborate or refute the information and that's all good. I like science because everything is peer reviewed to get to the facts. When someone comes in and bombs the thread with a 'yay for my side about a 'national' event and they are going to have a beer in celebration' it quite often gets threads locked and or vanished. All of the efforts by the ones who were sharing information are lost. 

Should the RTM or C&C vanish because of one or two who bomb it, or should the trouble makes be hammered? Again, you're smarter than this and it makes no sense that you try to argue about it.         

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

There would be less wrenching if people were awarded a vacation when they, deliberately, make inflammatory posts in threads

It happens all the time.  In other words, they already are.  I am not arguing, I just have a different perspective on how sacred these threads are.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I am not arguing, I just have a different perspective on how sacred these threads are.

IMHO, it's not a matter of threads being sacred, it's about respect. Someone could have a thread about hot sauce with lots of shared information and personal stories, lots of lol with fun posts. There is nothing sacred about the thread, and no one should be permitted to bomb the thread(s) because they don't like hot sauce. If someone doesn't like the topic, ignore it. If the person doesn't agree, make a case. How many threads have we had about this virus? (Only Travis knows) 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

IMHO, it's not a matter of threads being sacred, it's about respect. Someone could have a thread about hot sauce with lots of shared information and personal stories, lots of lol with fun posts. There is nothing sacred about the thread, and no one should be permitted to bomb the thread(s) because they don't like hot sauce. If someone doesn't like the topic, ignore it. If the person doesn't agree, make a case. How many threads have we had about this virus? (Only Travis knows) 

I think 5 including this one. It was, speaking for me only, important enough to try and keep them alive as long as possible without locking them for the inevitable political references. When the pandemic (more appropriately, the response to it) became a central issue with candidates, it became difficult, or impossible, for some to differentiate between those two worlds (the science, news, and updates on Covid-19 on the one hand, and how good, or bad, elected officials were dealing with the problem on the other).

So in previous threads I have gone in and edited posts with brackets to remove the political, I have hidden/deleated posts, I have (due to feedback from the typical posters) told people to leave Lounge area for a week (they were free to post anywhere else). The alternative was to, as has occurred in the past, to not allow any new threads on the same subject. Again, the thought being that it was an important enough subject to try and have a thread where people could post information about the pandemic.

So there is the issue of the subject. There is always thread drift, typically when the usefull life of the topic is at an end, or around cocktail hour. I have split off posts that had nothing to do with the topic into their own threads at times.

If you all want I will resurrect Covid thread(s) and combine them, but it would have to be on topic, free of political overtones/undertones, and free of off-topic posts (noise and nonsense). 

Violators would be booted out of the thread.

If you want to go with that I am happy to do that, several of you have suggested that very thing.

Travis

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

There would be less wrenching if people were awarded a vacation when they, deliberately, make inflammatory posts in threads that, quite often, have nothing to do with the main topic.

That is a problem, all are guilty of from time to time, I have suggested an experiment in the post above to address it.

IMHO covid19 is currently controversial for reasons that are largely dumb. Worse is that the ‘stupidity’ is a result of covid19 having been politicized. Therefore debates on the topic will hover around the fringes. I do not believe that we need to revisit closed threads. At this juncture we’re going to witness events unfold and that’s on a global scale, not just national. From these Klipsch covid19 threads I made adjustments to my personal response/planning. Instead of expecting my community to act intelligently and cohesively I made plans to self isolate as much as possible. That approach has been accurate and it has been pretty much proven everywhere. As of today 50% of our areas ICU beds hold covid19 victims.

• Like 3

Yes, there will always be thread drift no matter what the subject. Plutonium Nyborg has nothing to with the subject and was only an attempt to stop the argument that was brewing. That worked until the next day. Yes, we all push the limit from time to time. There are some who do it a lot. I have noticed that they are booted out, and hopefully stop doing what got them booted. If the same people have no self-control, then the rest shouldn't suffer their problems, including you. 

5 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

From these Klipsch covid19 threads I made adjustments to my personal response/planning. Instead of expecting my community to act intelligently and cohesively I made plans to self isolate as much as possible.

With tubes or solid state? 

"Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19?
What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?
Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.
Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed.
The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977.
We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the US population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans will die of the flu or flu complications.
Oh, you'll mandate it, like other vaccines are mandated in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!
Do you really think people will flock to get a fast tracked, quickly tested vaccine, whose long term side effects and overall efficacy are anyone's best guess?
How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?
You aren't doing in person school until second quarter?
What if October's numbers are the same as August's?
You moved football to spring?
What if next March is worse than this one was?
When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks?
I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are strawberries and so is shellfish.
We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought.
We know driving a car can be dangerous, we don't leave it in the garage. Many speed and don't wear seat belts.
We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.
Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway?
Is going out with friends after work more risky than 4 day old gas station sushi?
Or operating a chainsaw?
When and how did we so quickly lose our free will and give up our liberty?
Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with Hugs and Smiles, and the State Fair and go to Church and go hug my Mom in her retirement home?
I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days.
I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else.
I'm struggling to see where or how this ends.
We either get busy living or we get busy dying.
When God decides it's your time, you don't get any mulligans, so I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.
(I copied this from someone else, but it makes sense)

21 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Yes, there will always be thread drift no matter what the subject. Plutonium Nyborg has nothing to with the subject and was only an attempt to stop the argument that was brewing. That worked until the next day. Yes, we all push the limit from time to time. There are some who do it a lot. I have noticed that they are booted out, and hopefully stop doing what got them booted. If the same people have no self-control, then the rest shouldn't suffer their problems, including you. 

Solid state......   Accuphase driving modified Khorns.

17 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:
"Anyone out there who can tell me what our end game is with the covid 19?
What is the magic formula that is going to allow us to sound the all clear?
Is it zero cases?
The only way that will happen is if we just stop testing and stop reporting.
Is it a vaccine?
It took 25 years for a chicken pox vaccine to be developed.
The smallpox inoculation was discovered in 1796 the last known natural case was in 1977.
We have a flu vaccine that is only 40 to 60% effective and less than half of the US population choose to get one, and roughly 20,000 Americans will die of the flu or flu complications.
Oh, you'll mandate it, like other vaccines are mandated in order to attend school, travel to some foreign countries, etc.
We already have a growing number of anti vaxxers refusing proven, tested, well known vaccines that have been administered for decades but aren’t necessarily safe!
Do you really think people will flock to get a fast tracked, quickly tested vaccine, whose long term side effects and overall efficacy are anyone's best guess?
How long are we going to cancel and postpone and reconsider?
You aren't doing in person school until second quarter?
What if October's numbers are the same as August's?
You moved football to spring?
What if next March is worse than this one was?
When do we decide quality of life outweighs the risks?
I understand Covid can be deadly or very dangerous for SOME people, but so are strawberries and so is shellfish.
We take risks multiple times a day without a second thought.
We know driving a car can be dangerous, we don't leave it in the garage. Many speed and don't wear seat belts.
We know the dangers of smoking, drinking and eating fried foods, we do it anyway.
Is hugging Grandma really more dangerous than rush hour on the freeway?
Is going out with friends after work more risky than 4 day old gas station sushi?
Or operating a chainsaw?
When and how did we so quickly lose our free will and give up our liberty?
Is there a waiver somewhere I can sign that says, "I understand the risks, but I choose a life with Hugs and Smiles, and the State Fair and go to Church and go hug my Mom in her retirement home?
I understand that there is a minuscule possibility I could die, but I will most likely end up feeling like crap for a few days.
I understand I could possibly pass it to someone else, if I'm not careful, but I can pass any virus onto someone else.
I'm struggling to see where or how this ends.
We either get busy living or we get busy dying.
When God decides it's your time, you don't get any mulligans, so I guess I would rather spend my time enjoying it and living in the moment and not worrying about what ifs and maybes, and I bet I'm not the only one.
(I copied this from someone else, but it makes sense)

We can see light at tunnels end when the positivity rate drops and stays down. Yes, usually it takes a long, long, long time to develop a vaccine. This is where we shine. We did it for Ebola and we’re doing it faster for covid19. Your scientists at work........   let’s give em a huge round of applause.

Stop comparing infectious disease to other forms of risks. We have 1/4 million dead (close enough) in 8 months and this happened with some major efforts to contain covid19. Imagine if we had done nothing? It is a true monster. And do not ever forget that covid19 will have long term health consequences.....  because it is a true monster......   it leaves scars, internal scars. Covid19 is worse than open warfare......  and ALL people are being asked to do are basic, common sense preventative measures that do not hurt and do not cost a ton of $$. Not hard to understand or conduct.

You are a single individual whose conduct affects many. Try not to forget that or screw it up.

• Like 3

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Tubes of course.

On the Nyborg, I couldn't really understand it in reading through the thread, it got hidden in a line of about 8 posts about headaches, aspirin, getting threads locked. There was nothing in particular about the Plutonium Nyborg post that was any big deal, is was simply part of a mass of other posts that didn't seem to have anything to do with the topic, or will trending in the wrong direction.

There are many, many who agree with you that the same few who get threads disrupted should not cause a thread to be locked, hidden, etc. at the expense of people who play by the rules.  So that is the direction I have been taking and will continue to take. One thing I thought of is simply kicking people out of individual threads if there is constant drift and nonsense. Either a special topic, like Covid, is worthy of serious discussion or not. 

Travis

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Not sure if anyones posted these, but FYI they're great...

Get the $99 dollar job with a clip, can be used with any mask. Also prevents your glasses (if you wear them) from fogging up.

https://www.easyflowusa.com/

Just ordered a couple to give a try. 

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Just ordered a couple to give a try. 

Look forward to your opinion on these. They’re a bit of prevention overkill IMHO but could make wearing a heavy duty mask more tolerable. Be nice to know how durable they are, how long the battery lasts, etc. 

I ordered these filtration products a while ago and they just shipped. These cost the same as the above mask system but are not at all portable. But they will scrub a smaller room in no time.

https://www.amazon.com/Medify-MA-15-Air-Purifier-filter/dp/B089CNT49C/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1TN3YT4ALPXK0&dchild=1&keywords=medify+air+purifier&s=home-garden&sprefix=Medify%2Caps%2C249&sr=1-7

Among people I know the lack of compliance stems from arbitrary and ridiculous restrictions.  For example, New York State has banned dancing at all gatherings.  My daughter attended a tiny outdoor wedding with 20 people.  She could not dance with her boyfriend with whom she lives, nor could the bride and groom dance with each other in spite of living together for the past 5 years.  The absurdity of this scenario is evident.  NYC has even issued sex guidelines for presumptive COVID protection with some weird suggested behaviors like having sex through a wall.  They even make recommendations for prostitutes:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-sex-guidance.pdf

Connecticut has just banned indoor gathering of more than 10 people in private homes.  Would it really matter if someone had 11?  How long will it be until surveillance cameras are installed on every street to monitor what we do?  

While we all have a responsibility to each other to try to limit virus spread there is no way we can win against a pathogen as contagious as this one (just my opinion of course).  As the noose of restrictions tightens the more people will push back.  That is human nature and it will not change.

Maynard

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

Among people I know the lack of compliance stems from arbitrary and ridiculous restrictions.  For example, New York State has banned dancing at all gatherings.  My daughter attended a tiny outdoor wedding with 20 people.  She could not dance with her boyfriend with whom she lives, nor could the bride and groom dance with each other in spite of living together for the past 5 years.  The absurdity of this scenario is evident.  NYC has even issued sex guidelines for presumptive COVID protection with some weird suggested behaviors like having sex through a wall.  They even make recommendations for prostitutes:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-sex-guidance.pdf

Connecticut has just banned indoor gathering of more than 10 people in private homes.  Would it really matter if someone had 11?  How long will it be until surveillance cameras are installed on every street to monitor what we do?  

While we all have a responsibility to each other to try to limit virus spread there is no way we can win against a pathogen as contagious as this one (just my opinion of course).  As the noose of restrictions tightens the more people will push back.  That is human nature and it will not change.

Maynard

Generally speaking I agree with your comments 100%. I would add this. Covid19 is a difficult contagion to control. The peculiar character of the covid19 sickness renders it tough to keep a handle on. But the real and only practical goal is not to contain covid19 but to stave it off until we have the vaccines/drugstore to combat the infection. So all of the ‘guidelines’ should be couched with the understanding that they are temporary. If we had no directions on how to slow the pace of covid19 infections our hospital systems would quickly be overwhelmed. So we must keep some ‘lid’ on covid19 until we have the methods/drugs/etc to combat the disease directly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Here's California's rules for gatherings at Thanksgiving................

• Gatherings can not have people from more than three households. This includes anyone who is present at the gatherings.
  • Keep the households you spend time with stable. Don’t mix into multiple gatherings.
  • The host should collect names and contact information of attendees for contact tracing.
  • All gatherings must be held outside. People can go inside to use the bathroom.
  • Gatherings “may occur in outdoor spaces that are covered by umbrellas, canopies, awnings, roofs, and other shade structures provided that at least three sides of the space (or 75%) are open to the outdoors.”
  • Gatherings of more than three households can happen at a park or outdoor space.
  • Don’t attend a gathering if you feel sick.
  • Keep physical distance from others and practice hand hygiene.
  • Wear a face mask when you can to stop COVID-19 from spreading.
  • Gatherings should only be two hours or less.
  • “Singing, chanting, and shouting are strongly discouraged.” Those who participate in those activities should wear masks.
  • Like 1